Lift first, do cardio second

Options
"Exercisers who pumped iron 20 minutes before cycling melted more fat than those who didn't lift or those who waited longer between lifting and doing cardio. So move right from the hand weights to that bike or treadmill."

I read this article on boosting your metabolism. What are your thoughts or experence with the above statement?

Replies

• amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do cardio first and weights after. Cardio is my warm-up followed by core work, though I do weights ata high enough intensity to keep my heart rate up. Afterwards I tend to have a good stretch/foam roll session at the gym and will follow-up at home if needed.

I've found this to work better for me unless you are doing very light cardio as all depending on your intensity you will use up your fuel stores at varying levels and so weights may be affected all depending on how easy or hard you went and what kind of cardio exercise you did.

I've also heard/read in another "article" that doing cardio after weights is counter-productive will burn muscle. So really, do whatever works for you because teh way i see it - it could work both ways
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    its true, weights first, then cardio, muscle burns more calories , def boosting metabolism, just learned this myself about a month ago. I was doing the opposite, ok to warm up before for like 5 minutes, but do majority of cardio after your strength training.
  • nikkiv16
    nikkiv16 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding! There is so much conflicting info out there. Just thought I would put some feelers out there and see what was working for others. :smile:
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I think you should ignore science and this article because amybg1 prefers to do cardio first.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I do cardio before and after weights as a way to warm up and stretch. This is interesting
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I just posted this in another thread: Running before strength training burns more calories from my experience.

I realized today that if I run 1 mile before strength training then I burn 568 calories (total workout time=1hr and 15 mins), instead of running 1 mile after strength training and burning 379 calories (total workout time=1hr and 15 mins).

According to my heart rate monitor, if I run before strength training it keeps my heart rate up slightly higher than not running before hand creating more calorie burn :)
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I just posted this in another thread: Running before strength training burns more calories from my experience.

I realized today that if I run 1 mile before strength training then I burn 568 calories (total workout time=1hr and 15 mins), instead of running 1 mile after strength training and burning 379 calories (total workout time=1hr and 15 mins).

According to my heart rate monitor, if I run before strength training it keeps my heart rate up slightly higher than not running before hand creating more calorie burn :)

Because you have more energy before strength training....?
  • Theplateauqueen
    Options
    This is very interesting.

Does anyone have published research that you could throw out there with links? I would love so see what the "experts" say.
  • jonswife0206
    jonswife0206 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Neither is wrong, it is what your goal is. I have read more than a few articles on this very topic as I wanted to ensure I was getting the results that I was looking for. Here is a good example and one of many in agreeance.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/training/a/ExerciseOrder.htm
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I always do some cardio before lifting, even if it's a 1 mile run or 15-20 hard mins on the elliptical.
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I do cardio first, then lift, then stretch.
    just seems more natural for me to go lift all warmed up.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I like to do weights before cardio but sometimes I go back and forth. Weights, elliptical, weights, treadmill, weights, stationary bike.

My fat is probably all confused! :laugh:
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I used to do cardio first thinking I was warming up for my weights but then read enough on these forums to covince me to reverse it.The difference is remarkable and I have MORE energy for my cardio.Sometimes I would skip the weights because I was worn out from the cardio.Hope that all made sense.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    You will get more exercise-pecific benefits from the exercise you perform first, when you are not fatigued. If you want to be a runner, do cardio first. If you want to focus on strength, do weights first.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    You will get more exercise-pecific benefits from the exercise you perform first, when you are not fatigued. If you want to be a runner, do cardio first. If you want to focus on strength, do weights first.

Agree.I'm pretty close to goal so I'm more interested in toning and getting stronger BUT it has also helped me drop two sizes faster than when I was just starting out and wanted weight off fast.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options

Because you have more energy before strength training....?

I doubt it. It's 5:15AM and no coffee or food yet.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    cardio burns away at muscle gains...so combining cardio with weight training, on the same day, seems counterproductive..

I hardly ever do cardio and have gone from 16% to 13% body fat over previous four months...

for a beginner program you are better off hitting total body workouts three days a week and cardio on other two days and eating at about 30% deficit..then once you melt off the fat, go for more weights and less calories and eat at abut 25% deficit...

or so my experience shows...

I messed around with cardio and circuit training for so many years and never understood why I did not get bigger until I finally realized all the cardio was costing my muscle gains...
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    My exercise physiologist said to do about 10 mins on the treadmill to warm up, then weights and then stretching.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I prefer weights first myself, for two reasons:

1 - When I do cardio, I usually go pretty hard, and I sweat a LOT. Definitely don't like wetting anything I sit on any more than necessary!

2 - I need optimal energy to ensure proper form during lifts, especially when I'm pushing my limits. Cardio doesn't tend to have quite the reliance on good form to avoid injury as lifting weights does.
  • missmince
    missmince Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This is very interesting.

Does anyone have published research that you could throw out there with links? I would love so see what the "experts" say.

http://www.ergo-log.com/recover-faster-strength-training-first-cardio-afterwards.html has some links and sources at the bottom of the article