GERD Diet Question

Options
Does anyone have any diet and exercise tips for GERD? I just recently found out that I have it, and wanted to know any generic tips. Also, the doctor says that sometimes if you lose weight, the reflux issue may resolve itself. Have you had any success with that as you lost weight? Has it improved or completely gone?

Replies

• Twinsmama75
    Twinsmama75 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely interested in the responses you get on this! I have reflux issues that medicine doesn't always help, so I would love to know if there are some other tips out there!! GL!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Might want to stay away from acidic foods and carbonated drinks
  • bluemoon551
    bluemoon551 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The best advice I've gotten from my doctor is to avoid any liquids an hour before and after eating. You want the food to absorb the acid in your stomach.
  • missebet
    missebet Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Asa long time GERD sufferer, yes losing 35 pounds has helped in my case. :glasses:
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have GERD caused by Crohn's disease. My doctor's rules are as follows: eat 5-6 small meals a day (a really full stomach is bad for GERD) no spicy food (probably the most important rule), no mint, no chocolate, no chewing gum, no caffeine, no carbonated beverages, no eating 2 hours before bed and sleep with your head elevated. I mainly have carob instead of chocolate but I still have a little bit of chocolate on occasion and I workout in the evenings & have meal 6 afterwards, so I eat pretty close to bedtime. The diet seems kind of crazy, but the goal is to not be on meds for the GERD, because a lot of them can cause calcium malabsorption, especially in slender, caucasian women. Feel free to check out my diary for ideas or message me with questions. I only take the medicine if it's really bad, maybe 2x a month. Almost forgot-ab exercises can be kind of bad for it-try not to eat at least 2 hours before any ab exercises.
  • Momto4under7
    Momto4under7 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Asa long time GERD sufferer, yes losing 35 pounds has helped in my case. :glasses:

How has it helped?
  • ChefTJP
    ChefTJP Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    definitely losing weight helps, no caffeine, limit acidic foods. don't overeat - smaller portions
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and cutting out processed foods with all those great additives has me off of reflux meds and so much more comfortable in life.. best wishes on your journey
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, IBS, and Acid Reflux so I know how hard it is to stay away from things. I found that cutting back on everything really helped. I used to get horrible stomach pains that would knock me to my knees, but ever since I started eating healthier, it's been so much better. CUT OUT THE SPICY FOOD. That has helped me out so so much. Before I went through the pain because I loved spicy stuff (and would be in tears shortly after but I still did it stupid me lol), but now that I've started eating healthy, the spicy foods have been removed from my diet almost completely. I had burrito's last night and my stomach hurt a little, but not like the horrible spells I used to have.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i use to have it so i stopped eating after 6pm. But since Ive lost weight I can eat much later.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with GERD. My doctor put me on a prescription medication and told me the best thing I can do is lose weight. After I lost about 40 pounds, I weaned off of it and have not looked back.