Can't seem to consume enough to meet 1200 calories... Help!

Options

Replies

• jennybean1985
    Options
    How much chicken did you have? Did you weigh it? 100 calories would be like 2-3 ounces, right? Are you sure that was it? Eat other things other than lettuce and protein. Like someone else said, bread, greek yogurt, more veggies; Mushrooms, carrots, cauliflower, green pepper, garbanzo beans, fat free cottage cheese, one stick of reduced fat string cheese, whole grain english muffin with natural peanut butter. Peanut Butter will really add in the calories.

I guessed, but I read that it's ~the size of a deck of cards. I aimed for 3-4 oz.

My other issue is that I'm too picky - don't like tomatoes, seafood, mushrooms, cottage cheese, etc. I hated salad until recently, too. This is not going to be an easy process :/
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem.. I was never hungry i wasn't going over 800.. i get 1200-1500 a day now pretty easily. My diary is open. Lots of really healthy ideas in there. I just made a really huge effort to eat more often to increase calories.. It's taken me 2 months, but i'm just now starting to feel hungry.

Also.. if you add chicken or fish to your salad that will help as well.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Peanut butter. I'm trying to gain weight so if I don't eat enough I know I can always eat a few spoonfuls and hit my target with out my stomach exploding.
  • Krysannis
    Krysannis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you like oatmeal, get some regular oatmeal and add 1-2 tbs of peanut butter to it and slice up a banana for on top. Someone already mentioned a smoothie, you can add a ton of stuff to smoothies. If you did a smoothie you could even add stuff that you normally wouldn't eat because most veggies are masked really well by fruits when you blend them all up.
  • heather86RN
    Options
    I recommend finding a protien shake that you like. I have the same problem, especially on days that I exercise. Eating all the vegetables does fill you up, but you will start to feel tired and your body will start to breakdown your muscles instead of fat. Find one you like and it won't be a big deal, and you will have more energy to exercise! You can't beat that!:wink:
  • bsmithmia
    bsmithmia Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Open your diary and we can see how you've been tracking. You could easily get to +1200 calories but we need to see what you've been doing over time
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I totally second the protein shake.

I use one, because I suck at eating protein, and it adds a bunch of calories to my day!
  • jennybean1985
    Options
    Just did :) Not much to go on since I've only been tracking for ~3 days or so.
  • jennybean1985
    Options
    What brand? Is it really disgusting? lol.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if you are not hungry..don't eat...if you are hungry eat...just stay i a deficit...

try skipping breakfast and then have a 500 calorie lunch and fill in rest with dinner..(shocking concept I know)

you might want to check out lean gains www.leangains.com
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have never used myfitnesspal for anything more than counting calories.... how can I make my diary public?

Top of each page: My Home (then Settings, then Diary Settings) This will allow you to make your diary public.

Also, I suggest focusing your eating attention on foods that are high in protein and fiber. I've been at 1200 for almost six weeks and I mix it up, very little "low fat" or "lite" or "diet" anything. Beans (all kinds), lentils, quinoa all have great protein. As others have mentioned, nuts are a great source of healthy fats and fiber, both whole and in butters. Snacks can be slices of meats (ham, roast beef, turkey, chicken) and a slice/cube/stick of cheese. Veggies with hummus or dressing dips can help. Good luck on your journey (my diary is open).
  • bsmithmia
    bsmithmia Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ummm...you've only been tracking for a couple of days. You are on the right path but you definitely need to spice things up with some flavors, fruits, veggies, nuts, different proteins. The easiest way is to look at recipes online of foods you like or look at other people's diary with similar goals as you that are doing well. That will give you ideas to start with.
  • Laurenmp16
    Laurenmp16 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    You just go into Settings then Privacy to make diary public
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    NUTS
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    What brand? Is it really disgusting? lol.

There are plenty of delicious ones. I have a soy, and whey allergy, so I have to use a Hemp one.
  • rsmelley
    Options
    You can add more protein like non salted almonds pecans or walnuts for protein. (abt. 100 cals 1/8 cup). Try them in your salad when you don't have meat or as a snack. You can also add things like whole grain breads such as 100 % whole wheat bread, brown rice or whole grain cereals. Yogurt and cottage cheese. Try adding more veggies or fruit to your salads. Canned packed in water tuna fish (100 cals) or canned sweet sue chicken (120 cals) go great in a salad. Look at your friends diaries and see what they are eating.
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    For the love of God people just eat a damn sandwich! It's really not that hard. I highly doubt cups of salad dashed with parmasen cheese and a bit of chicken is filling. If that's too hard get the dang peanut butter out
  • huuxue
    huuxue Posts: 23
    Options
    Chicken sandwich on whole wheat bread with avocado, quinoa with vegetables, also try full fat dairy
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Put food in mouth, chew and then swallow. Preferably in that order.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Don't eat bread, that's stupid. You can add stuff to your breakfast like turkey breast or veggies. I love doing eggs, tomato slices, and avocado. Avocado is a great source of healthy fats. As for your salad add more veggies- cucumber, tomato, avocado, you could even add hard boiled egg to it. I usually eat a tablespoon of peanut butter after a work out and thats about 80 calories but it's also really good for you. Load up your fridge with some fresh veggies and grab a carrot if you're feeling hungry or like you're not eating enough calories. Don't grab carbs. They might add to the calories but they're not calories that you want. Keep your head up, the longer you make healthy choices the easier it becomes.

Uh, eating bread is not stupid. Sheesh.