no
  • chiselfuture
    chiselfuture Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Religion.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Since there are a few practicing Catholics in the thread, i have a question.

Why do people say they're giving up meat for Lent and then eat fish? is fish not meat? am i missing something? Is there a certain definition of meat that doesnt include fish?

Serious questions here, hubby works in the fish department of the local grocery store and works boat loads of hours during Lent because people give up meat but eat more fish, and neither of us understood how that works.

TIA
  • samdavis512
    samdavis512 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    very apt response ! my wife and I normally give up non vegeteraian diet and have only veg during lent !
  • icandowhateveriputmymindto
    Options
    Not Christian. But Lent is a good idea to help people realize what they have and how thankful they should be.
  • gvheintz
    gvheintz Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My typical lenten devotion is to decrease food consumption ... which I have been doing anyways. I plan to try and use up more of the food in my freezer, buy less groceries and donate the difference to those in greater need than I am. Further, I increase my time of devotional study. And let me tell you ... hot cross buns are already in the grocery store. I am looking forward to EASTER SUNDAY! Hot cross buns with cheese whiz make my heart go pitter patter. (oh ya, and even though I have a clerical on, not Catholic)
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up stealing souls.

But not beer. Or candy. Or white vans.
  • kodom_123
    kodom_123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Absolutely nothing. I'm not Catholic.

I'm not Catholic either and I observe lent...there are actually several denominations who still observe it. It was originally put into observance by the early Christian church to put down their flesh and partake/ remember the sufferings of Christ..... Just a lot denominations stopped observing but it's not just a Catholic thing ;)
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    After reading thru all of the posts, I'm disheartened to see so many people bashing/making fun of people on this site practicing their faith - No where did it say that everyone on this site had to respond to every discussion post. *sighs* If I as an american citizen, am expected to respect everyone else's faiths/beliefs/disbeliefs and accept them - why should any of you disrespect practicing catholics? Just saying...

Now as for Lent.. I've thought long and hard on what I wanted to give up -- it's been years since I participated in Lent but decided it might not be such a bad thing since I'm working on making life changes as it is. =) So, I've decided that I'm going to refrain from potato chips and dip of any kind. AND I'm giving up excess spending of money with two exceptions, 1 being that I will still probably go out for St Patricks day and spend just a little more than I should celebrating and the Weekend that I finish my last college course it's already been planned that my friends and I are going out for dinner and drinks (which is excess spending as it's not a necessity).

Being as i haven't participated in Lent in years, I'm not sure if my exceptions are technically accepted, but since it's the 2nd thing that I'm giving up I hope it'll be okay. =)

My desire to be a smart *kitten* usually wins out over publicly discussing my Christian faith...I apologize.
  • gvheintz
    gvheintz Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    526493_161099364039814_2077179058_n.jpg
  • believe1922
    believe1922 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up soda...unless there's alcohol mixed with it ; )
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Since there are a few practicing Catholics in the thread, i have a question.

Why do people say they're giving up meat for Lent and then eat fish? is fish not meat? am i missing something? Is there a certain definition of meat that doesnt include fish?

Serious questions here, hubby works in the fish department of the local grocery store and works boat loads of hours during Lent because people give up meat but eat more fish, and neither of us understood how that works.

TIA

Not practicing, but was raised catholic- it's because in the days of the early catholic church meat was a luxury and fish was everyday food. Also, I remember learning in religion class at one point that the practice was encouraged later on because there was some economic benefit for the church that was tied to increased fish consumption- but I can't remember the specifics and I'm too lazy to look it up...but I don't think it's any great stretch of the imagination that the old catholic church would set doctrine for economic reasons.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    sacrifice
  • runningfataway
    Options
    Lent begins tomorrow? Perfect!

I'm Muslim and make sure to fast every Ramadan during the summer. This year I plan on fasting for lent as well! Partly so I can shrink my wasteline and battle self-control, and partly because I want to try something new.

Tonight I vow to give up SIX food items and traits about me.

1) Bread (This is my all time addiction. I have an all or nothing mentality, so I can't just have one or two pieces even if I wanted.)
    2) Chocolate (This is my heroin.)
    3) "Junk Food" sodas (given up few weeks ago), fast food, bagged cheesy snacks, cookies....
    4) My fears. No longer running, but facing them dead on.
    5) Procrastination
    6) Mindless snacking. This ought to stop. I'm guessing with 1-3 being out the way, it'll also eliminate this problem.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I always try to give up something I will miss. I sometimes feel like people give up things they don't really care about and to me that isn't a sacrifice. I have this discussion with my dear daughter every year when her first thought is something she doesn't like any way ;). In the past I gave up bagels, which sucked because I ate them every morning, last year I gave up pickles which I LOVE, this year I am struggling with my choice....

But I need to decide by tomorrow .....maybe swearing, ...
    I'll let you know :)
  • jha1223
    jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Not practicing, but was raised catholic- it's because in the days of the early catholic church meat was a luxury and fish was everyday food. Also, I remember learning in religion class at one point that the practice was encouraged later on because there was some economic benefit for the church that was tied to increased fish consumption- but I can't remember the specifics and I'm too lazy to look it up...but I don't think it's any great stretch of the imagination that the old catholic church would set doctrine for economic reasons.

Born and raised Catholic. Currently not practicing (I.E. don't attend mass) but I still observe Lent.

As a child, we found out what to give in a very simple way. We would ask someone else in the family to tell us what we should give up for Lent. It was pretty brutal since someone else in the family could easily identify your weakness. Essentially, if they named something and your reaction was, "Oh now way!" that was it.

This year my wife and I did the same tactic. I called her out on soda and she called out beer, wine, scotch on me (sooo many, damn her!) I guess we will see how that many days of many less calories will end up for us. Kind of nice that we both picked calorie sinks for each other!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I gave up Facebook lol. Someone told me they like to give something up but also do something new for the 40 days. I am logging every single day and doing 100 situps/crunches everyday.g

God and myself will be expecting you to fulfill those situps/crunches quotes!
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    absolutely nothing; keep on rockin' :-)
  • Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up salty snacks - crisps, popcorn.

My kids have voluntarily given up their gaming computer!
  • mikuja
    mikuja Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm not giving up all coffee drinks, but I'm giving up mocha drinks for Lent. I'm also going to stop using "God" in vain.