help...still flabby!

Options
So I have been on a diet since 1992, when I began exercising. Now it's 2013 and I'm confused as to why I'm still so flabby. I joined my gym in 2007 and have faithfully been going at least 3 times a week. I lift, bench press, leg press, everything press a lot of weight. On the days I'm not at the gym, I do lots of cardio and interval training. I have been taking protein powder now for a month and have been taking muscle recovery since 2009. I barely have seen any results. My body is still so flabby. I eat a ton of veggies, hardly any red meat, avoid desserts and pizza but once a month. I drink a half cup of organic milk when I wake up to start my metabolism. I even bought a bodymedia fit arm band to calculate my calories burned better. Help! I'm at a total loss why I'm still flabby!

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Why are you describing yourself as flabby? What is the issue?

Can you open your diary so people can comment on your food and exercise diaries to try and help.
  • jnp96
    jnp96 Posts: 163
    Options
    Did you lose a bunch of weight? Could it be loose skin?
  • gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Well it depends on how many calories you are taking in vs burning..

What's your bmr and tdee? How much do you net at each day? It's all about calories in vs calories out.
  • Rachelatherbest
    Rachelatherbest Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    BMR 1260.4 TDEE 1944. Net approximately. 23.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    have you tried Zumba, hot yoga or water running? All-over toning was not on your list.
  • smiling_sushi
    smiling_sushi Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Without any details, my guess would be either you're not lifting heavy enough/not lifting free weights (free weights >>> machine weights) and/or you're likely not eating enough protein to gain muscle (as in 1 g of protein for each lb. that you weigh). Look into New Rules of Lifting for Women or Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5 and eat a ton of protein.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    BMR 1260.4 TDEE 1944. Net approximately. 23.

You net 23 calories per day, or am I misunderstanding/misreading?
  • Rachelatherbest
    Options
    I haven't tried Zumba but Yes on Yoga and even Insanity. I bench press 90 pounds, leg press 295, biceps. 55, triceps 70, ABS 120, back row 130, lower back 120, shoulder press 40 (through my shoulder out doing pushups in my sleep Lol so that's all I can do now), glutes 220, lat pull down 130, quads 140, hamstrings 140, outer thighs 140, inner thighs 170...and that's at the gym. I use 15 pound free weights all over body except when I do butt blasters then I use 30 pound free weights.
  • Rachelatherbest
    Options
    Lol...no sorry 1123 net.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Have you experimented at all with upping your calorie intake? 1100-1200 calories seems pretty low for the amount of exercise it sounds like you're doing, especially with all that lifting.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Have you experimented at all with upping your calorie intake? 1100-1200 calories seems pretty low for the amount of exercise it sounds like you're doing, especially with all that lifting.

This. Up cals with more healthy food and lots of protein.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    To build muscle and become non-flabby - IMO you need progressive resistance.

So, my advice - increase the weight you are lifting - regularly, like +5 lbs every couple weeks.
  • douglasbeale
    douglasbeale Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Rachel.... I think you look great!
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I really doubt that you are flabby. If you are talking about inner thigh, take a pinch. If it is less than an inch, it is skin, not fat. For some reason, men's legs are usually better than women's legs. I use to watch races. Sometimes even fabulous female racers did not have the legs of the men. It is in the DNA. Men just ought to cover the legs so we do not get jealous.
    No, men ought to were shorts, so I can enjoy the view.