kale

Options
I haven't eaten Kale before, I keep hearing how great it is, Does anyone have any particularly good ways to eat kale and what does it taste like, can it be compared to any other greens?

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I am a kale connoisseur. There are several kinds and if you garden at all, it's a great crop in cooler climates. It does well in the spring and fall and also makes a nice edible ornamental. There is a curly version and a flat version, but both are tougher than spinach. Some complain that it is bitter, but I find it less bitter than chard. It's kind of like a cross between a green and a broccoli type veggie (like the stem) and is in the same family as collards, I believe. Try to buy it at a farmers' market or a good quality grocer or natural foods market, not in a bag from Walmart. There is a world of difference in quality.

You can make tasty kale chips (google a recipe for temp) by baking them with olive oil, salt, and whatever other seasonings you want.

If you have a high quality blender, add a couple of leaves (take stem part that runs thru middle off) to your smoothies (I use frozen berries, protein powder, and kale...it's pretty gross with almond milk, but works well with juice or water).

I saute kale or grill it in foil and use a little olive oil, sea salt, pepper, chili powder and garlic.

I make a Mexican stir fry with olive oil, mini peppers, tofu, onions, and kale seasoned with hot sauce, chili powder, garlic, sea salt, black pepper, and garlic. You can also add it to regular stir fry, using your favorite oil, and season accordingly.

You can add it to lentil soup for a fiber and nutritional boost.

It cooks down quite a bit, FYI.
  • Joanneea
    Options
    Thanks for the information, saute sounds nice. I've been wanting to try it but unsure it seems quite expensive for the quantity. I don't mind the expense if it is nutritional and tastes OK. I don't want to have to hold my nose to eat it lol.
  • Gin66
    Gin66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love kale. I put it anywhere I would put spinach (except raw). Great for stir fry and roasted vegis.
  • minakshihall
    minakshihall Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You could try this recipe, if you like pineapples you will like this dish.

Kale - 3 cups chopped
    Spinach - 6 cups chopped
    Onions - half cup chopped (I use red onions)
    Minced Ginger Root - 1 Tablespoon
    Minced Garlic - One Tablespoon
    Pineapples - 2 cups (I use Dole Pineapples with no added sugar, you could use fresh pineapples)
    Cumin Powder - 1 Teaspoon
    Coriander Powder - 2 Teaspoons
    Chilli Powder - To Taste (I like it really hot)
    Green Chillies - To Taste
    Avacado Oil - 1 Tablespoon (You could use any High Heat oil)
    Cumin Seed - 1 Teaspoon
    Sesame Seed - 1 Teaspoon
    Salt to Taste
    Tomatoes - 2 Large
    Raw, Unsalted Nuts - 2 Tablespoon (I like to use Pecans) Cashews or Slivered Almonds go really well with this dish. Dry roast this and keep it aside.
    Lemon or Lime Juice - 1 Teaspoon

Method
    Heat oil in the pan
    Add Cumin Seed and Sesame Seed and wait for it to crackle
    Add chopped onions and saute it till golden brown
    Add Ginger, Garlic and saute for 2 minutes
    Add Green Chillies
    Add Chopped Tomatoes and cook for few minutes
    Add Kale
    Keep mixing this until Kale starts to get soft
    Frequently mix Kale till it's half way done
    Add Spinach and and the dry spices (Cumin, Coriander, Chilly Powder and Salt)
    Frequently mix it till spinach starts to wilt
    Add Pineapples at this point and cook this till Kale is fully done.
    Put this in a serving dish and add lemon or lime juice and garnish it with dry nuts.

It goes well with Quinoa or Cracked Wheat.

I hope you like it.
    Thank you
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat it is: de-stem it, slice it up. Drizzle with olive oil and massage it (rub it) for a few minutes. Put on a plate, top with roasted butternut squash, field roast chipotle sausage, and cottage cheese.

You can also dehydrate some chips. Drizzle with a little olive oil, cover in nutritional yeast, and then put in the dehydrator for 1-2 hours or bake in the oven on a really low temp.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just chop it up super fine into strips, add diced tomaotes , diced cucumbers, ect add olive oil sea salt, black pepper.
  • speedgraphic19
    Options
    I find kale is really good when cooked simply, so I usually steam it in a little chicken broth or water with some other veggies. Kale chips are also a good suggestion, just make sure to watch them because they burn easily!
  • bbsunkgurl
    bbsunkgurl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Kale is awesome! The taste might take a little getting used to (just like coffee or wine when you first start eating it) but its really great! If you eat it raw cut it really fine! Add tahini dressing, cranberries, almonds, and edamame! Italian wedding soup is great too!
  • DraftedByTheMan
    Options
    I was at a memorial service last week and they had a kale dish with pine nuts. My first time trying kale - tasty
  • Joanneea
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas, I love pineapple so I will try the recipe too.

Are there a few varieties of Kale? The other day I bought some that had long stalks like spinach, although it definitely wasn't spinach, then yesterday the one I bought was mostly leaf, and not as green as the first one, more of a grey/green.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Kale chips are awesome! Shredded kale is also good on pizza-- it gets all crispy and crunchy.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Kale is like cabbage, but cheaper (over here, anyway). Cavalo Nero is a fancy italian type of kale that seems to cost more cos it has a foreign name. Was known as 'bootstrap kale' till the marketeers got hold of it.

Its pretty hardy and often grown as a fodder crop for animals - can be a bit tough, but because it is a bit tougher, it keeps its texture better and is nice put in stews and so on.

I think its best food use, however is as feedstuff for lambs, makes a cracking carcase. :tongue:
  • devina1218
    Options
    I sautee it with some peppers and onions, then scramble eggs in. And yes, there are several kinds of kale...red, green, flat, curly. Be sure to wash t REALLY well, especially curly leaf varieties. Sand and other stuff can cling in those nooks and crannies.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I love Kale ! I sautee (sp) with balsamic, a little olive oil and dijon mustard. Put in some green onions and orange bell peppers. YUM YUM YUM !

I have tried it raw. Not too bad. Tastes like broccoli.
  • sisterphonetica
    sisterphonetica Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love kale orzotto ( risotto with barley instead of rice), there are plenty of recipes online.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    bump because I always stare at it at the market, have it with my thai food, but never buy it to make it!
    :)
  • MJackson54
    Options
    I LOVE kale and besides the fact that it is nutritious, it has minimal calories so it makes a good snack at anytime of the day! Just google Asian Emerald Kale Salad. YUMMY. And best yet, their is no cooking or real prep time involved!
  • smsicilio
    Options
    Sounds yummy! I'd love to give this recipe a try! Thanks for sharing!
  • AFC1960
    AFC1960 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you buy fresh kale make sure you rinse it very VERY good. I've bought it bagged so I don't have to worry about cleaning so much. I saute onion and garlic in olive oil then mix the kale in and cook it down. Plate it and grate parmisan cheese and slivered almonds on top. M'm
  • AFC1960
    AFC1960 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you buy fresh kale make sure you rinse it very VERY good. I've bought it bagged so I don't have to worry about cleaning so much. I saute onion and garlic in olive oil then mix the kale and balsamic vinegar in and cook it down. Plate it and grate parmisan cheese and slivered almonds on top. M'm