Protein for someone with WHEY, EGG, DAIRY allergies

Options
mbouf94
mbouf94 Posts: 31 Member
I am allergic to eggs, cannot handle whey and am intolerant to dairy ( I can eat in very small doses, like Greek yogurt once or twice a week).

I find myself being at 1/3-1/2 of my protein intake every single day and am looking for some suggestions on high protein snack and meal ideas that do not have whey, or eggs in them. I use a vegan (pea) protein blend but I am looking for non protein shake ideas.

Also intolerant to cranberries, pineapple and shell fish. Yay me.

I manage to get 17-20 g of protein at breakfast and 25-30 g of protein with dinner but I struggle with lunches and snacks. I need to reach at least 120 g of protein daily and I also do a lot of lifting workouts and play hockey so protein is REALLY important for me.

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    1) It's awesome you lift and play hockey

2) Is there any reason you can't eat meat?
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Beans, beans, the musical fruit.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Chicken, tuna, lean beef, lean pork. I cook a large batch of chicken on the weekend and use it for lunches through the week. You could do the same with a beef or pork roast. My lunches this week are from a recipe I got on the boards: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/806833-chicken-black-bean-bake?hl=chicken+black+bean+bake

Just leave off the cheese. I add a serving of rice and it's perfect for lunch.
  • kelseystew
    kelseystew Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I too am intolerant to Dairy, but usually keep my protein around 120 grams a day, my biggest tip is when you are making dinner which you said has around 25-30 grams of protein make extra and have it for lunch the next day! This has saved me big time! Also although I am lactose intolerant like you I can have it is small doses, I chose a lactose free yogurt but have cottage cheese as a snack everyday. The 0% cottage cheese does not upset my tummy, but everyone is different. Just a couple of suggestions! :) Good Luck!
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Wow, really cool you play hockey! A great protein snack is tuna also lentils are an excellent source!
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I think chicken is going to be your best friend in your case.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    NUTS.... :drinker:
  • mbouf94
    Options
    1) It's awesome you lift and play hockey

2) Is there any reason you can't eat meat?

I do eat meat - but I never seem to eat meat at lunch (I am not into eating cold cuts, and usually just bring leftovers for lunch) but even with the meat I eat, I never seem to get enough protein.
  • Lose_It_Leo
    Lose_It_Leo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Maize is pretty good. It doesn't really have the full protein, per se, but it does contain each of the 8 essential amino acids (the special protein building blocks). I like to eat it in the form of polenta to be honest... then I can use it to replace potato.
  • mbouf94
    Options
    Chicken, tuna, lean beef, lean pork. I cook a large batch of chicken on the weekend and use it for lunches through the week. You could do the same with a beef or pork roast. My lunches this week are from a recipe I got on the boards: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/806833-chicken-black-bean-bake?hl=chicken+black+bean+bake

Just leave off the cheese. I add a serving of rice and it's perfect for lunch.

Thanks for the idea! I have tons of dried beans sitting in my pantry and have been looking for new recipes to use them in :)
  • gimmegimmemoar
    gimmegimmemoar Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I use pea protein! Doesnt have that after taste they sometimes have ...Feel free to add away :)
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I would suggest Chicken Breast, Turkey Breast, and even pork tenderloin. All of which have good protein and are very lean meats. Just cook a bit extra the night before and you can throw it into a salad or make a sandwich from it.
  • mbouf94
    Options
    Wow, really cool you play hockey! A great protein snack is tuna also lentils are an excellent source!

I love lentils! Made a big batch of lentil soup on Sunday. I have never eaten tuna and the thought of it freaks me out a little to be honest...the smell of the canned stuff has turned me off of it. I do eat salmon though (of course the fattiest fish)
  • mbouf94
    Options
    I think chicken is going to be your best friend in your case.

Love chicken, I eat boneless, skinless chicken breast almost every night of the week.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Meat, poultry, fish, seafood, broths.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options

I love lentils! Made a big batch of lentil soup on Sunday. I have never eaten tuna and the thought of it freaks me out a little to be honest...the smell of the canned stuff has turned me off of it. I do eat salmon though (of course the fattiest fish)
    Fresh tuna steaks are unbelievably delicious.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    the smell of the canned stuff has turned me off of it. I do eat salmon though (of course the fattiest fish)

Well you are in luck because they sell tuna in packages as well.... so if the can weird you out just grab in in a packaged container and not the can. 4oz Tuna with a lil mustard, pepper and pinch of salt... mmm...mmm...
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have some ideas that may help you. I deal with a child who has egg, peanut and gluten allergies. I use hemp seed and spirulina in a smoothie. You can put hemp or spirulina into other things as well like oatmeal. Hemp is very high in protein, amino acid and omegas. Spirulina has one of the highest protein contents in the world. You buy it as a powder usually and add about 1 tsp to whatever your going to eat or drink. You can't taste it if you use a tsp but anymore and sometimes you can. I make an almond milk, frozen banana, 1 tsp spirulina, 2 tbsp hemp, 1 tbsp cacoa smoothie. It's sweet but if you wanted sweeter you could add honey. The hemp seeds are very good in oatmeal and smoothies they have a light nutty taste. I order mine from nuitva.com I forget where I got my spirulina. Probably luckvitamin.com or iherb.com or amazon.com

Good luck. Please feel free to message me with any questions I could further help you with.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Meat.

Quick/easy snacks = Beef Jerky or a can of tuna.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I get spicy tuna in cans from Aldi. (I like normal tuna too) it really changes the flavour and may be a good place to start. Chicken breast is very high protein and low calorie. Bacon and eggs are good I have them on a low carb wrap.

Hope that helps!

Zara