For Women Only!!! (Men, you would have no interest)

Options
So, I'm kinda nervous. Been on MFP for almost 2 weeks, and my first weigh in, I lost a little over 3 lbs. So this Saturday is my next weigh in, and I'm super pumped because I'm really into this site, and eating well and exercising the best I can. The problem with my weigh in this Saturday is that it's my T.O.M. and I feel like water weight is going to be an issue. (sometimes it can add 5 lbs depending on the month!) So, question is, do I skip weigh in, and weigh mid week next week? or do I weigh myself and perhaps get discouraged by potential TOM weight?! Does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• AbiLuV
    AbiLuV Posts: 47
    Options
    SKIP IT!!! :laugh:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    It's pretty normal for woman to hold some water weight.

I say skip the weigh in, you're starting out and have lost some lbs. and sure don't need a downer yet. LOL

Others on here have shared they skip that week as well, everyone has there own way of doing it.

Great job on the loss and welcome to the site, good to have you! :flowerforyou:
    Becca
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I had this same issue when I still had a personal trainer through Jillian Michaels. She advised me to skip that weigh-in. I am SOOOO glad she did.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    lol Yea I was going to type that and then I started rambling. lol You got it spot on!!:laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

I swear that is exACTly what I was going to say. you keep to your caloric deficit and weigh in 2 wks. you wll be so happy you did
  • tkrall
    tkrall Posts: 109
    Options
    Skip it!! You don't want to get discouraged, and when it's over weigh yourself. You might be pleasantly suprised! :happy:
  • JillieHobbs
    JillieHobbs Posts: 20
    Options
    I would still weigh in. Definitely do not get discouraged if the numbers aren't that great, because you have a legitimate reason for the numbers to be off.

This will help when you weigh in every time T.O.M. is around because you will start to get an idea of really how much water weight you carry at that time. So, at first it may be discouraging, but after a couple months of seeing that particular weekly weigh-in you will start to get the idea of how much "extra" you have that week and it will become less discouraging.
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    skip it
  • lexistepps
    lexistepps Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I would definitely skip it...I was in your position a few weeks ago and I just skipped my weigh-in altogether that week. Then when I weighed myself the next week I felt like I had a HUGE loss, it was fun :laugh:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I skip it too, and weigh in first full day after the b!tch leaves. usually my best weight of the month!
  • jenners22
    jenners22 Posts: 91
    Options
    :bigsmile: I agree with almost everyone....SKIP IT! :bigsmile:
  • allred_76
    allred_76 Posts: 5
    Options
    I would still weigh in. I work at weight watchers and every 4 weeks I see a gain in 90% of the members, weighing is feed back and don't you want that feed back? If you are keeping track and doing what you can to lose why beat yourself up over the water retention???
  • annastasia76
    annastasia76 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I seem to be opposite from everybody else. I am at my lowest during that TOM and that tends to be the only time I weigh myself because any other time I'm up by 5lbs.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I gain anywhere from 2-7 pounds during my TOM. I still weigh in though, it feels really good to see the water weight plus some more come off the week after. But you have to do what works best for you. If you think seeing that gain is going to discourage you too much, then skip it.
  • nsking83
    nsking83 Posts: 145
    Options
    I would still weigh in. Definitely do not get discouraged if the numbers aren't that great, because you have a legitimate reason for the numbers to be off.

This will help when you weigh in every time T.O.M. is around because you will start to get an idea of really how much water weight you carry at that time. So, at first it may be discouraging, but after a couple months of seeing that particular weekly weigh-in you will start to get the idea of how much "extra" you have that week and it will become less discouraging.

I second this. I had a random TOM last week (i'm on a generic seasonale so i only have one every 90 days or so, but this one came outta nowhere) and still weighed in. Like she said - it's good for future purposes - just remember that you can't get discouraged about it!

P.S. All TOMs can go to hell! :mad: :laugh:
  • My45Chelle
    My45Chelle Posts: 18
    Options
    Weigh in. If you already know that your weight could be up a few pounds, then you won't be surprised. But, if it goes way beyond what you think it should, then you might find out which foods you can avoid during t.o.m and stay within a range of pounds that are average for you. I tend to go up 5lbs as well and eat more meats, so when I weigh in and notice it's gone up to almost 10, then I need to make some adjustments. Welcome to the site and stay positive!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I would still weigh in. The scale is a tool. Use it as such... it will give you an idea of HOW your body works. You don't have to "count" it if you don't want to... make a note on your food journal as to what the scale said... But if you give yourself permission to "skip it" altogether - you may give yourself permission to ease up on other things too.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'd weigh in, although I'm always really curious and I can't stand waiting another week (I had to wait a day last weekend because I didn't get back from a trip until late, and that was hard enough!). Like some other people said, you might be disappointed for the time being, but if you know that it's TOM and you're heavier, there's something to explain the gain.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    i would weigh in and just KNOW that if the number is the same or higher there is a reason and you cant control the reason.

I agree. You should know that you might be a little higher and not let it bug you. IMO if you skip you might find yourself thinking you will have a huge loss in two weeks and if you dont in two weeks you might feel crapy. But if you are a little up this week you can blame your TOM. I always find myself working harder if I go up on the scale so if you are the same it might be helpful to look a bit higher on the scale and work hard so next time it will be super low.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! :) I'll let ya know what I decide to do.