What book(s) are you currently reading?

Options

Replies

• lee_ramsell83
    Options
    Total Recall - Arnold Schwarzenegger; the mans a legend!! Brilliant read so far!!
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I always have a few different ones going in different formats. Pretty much Sci-Fi and Fantasy.

Into the Storm by Taylor Anderson (audio)

Eden by David Holley (kindle)

Monstrous by Sean Platt and David Wright (kindle) these guys write awesome series books.

Daybreak 2250 AD by Andre Norton (paperback)

Necroscope by Brian Lumley (paperback)

No More Mr Nice Guy by Robert Glover (pdf on my pc)
  • bmstee03
    bmstee03 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Just finished Casual Vacancy - it was just ok. I am half way through Alex - The life of a child. and it's incredibly depressing.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Relentless by Dean Koontz (hardcover)

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain (kindle)

And just finished "I Heard You Paint Houses" on what supposedly happened to Jimmy Hoffa. Good insight into the mob, teamsters, a little bay of pigs/Kennedy info too. I thought it was well done and that the author (former prosecutor/detective) did a great job presenting the story (as told to him) and finding some things that corroborate the story.

And now I want to read the John Wayne Gacy story that was mentioned earlier. It is going on my amazon wishlist!
  • fmebear
    fmebear Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I seem to have several going at once -
    Stop the Thyroid Madness - by janie bowthorpe
    Raising Free Thinkers - A practical guide for parenting beyond belief - by dale mcgowan
    The Secret - by rhonda byrne
    the art of seduction - by robert greene
    the kingdom - by amanda stevens
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Just finished - Delurium; Insurgent; Divergent (all three are Hunger Games like)

All time favorite - She's Come undone by Wally Lamb
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Just finished the Saga of Seven Suns series by Kevin J. Anderson.
    It's a huge space opera, with a cast of thousands. (well, there's a lot of characters).
    It's a 7 book series.
  • SamiSamiBoBlammy
    SamiSamiBoBlammy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Just finished and would HIGHLY recommend:
    The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Reading Beverly Lewis' "The Reckoning". Not recommended. It's the third book in the series that begins with "The Shunning". I've read Amish literature before and enjoyed it very much. This series, not so much. Partly the plot is ridiculous. Partly it's because I dislike the main character who is a selfish drama queen. But for some reason, I feel compelled to finish the series.

This is my line-up after this series:
    1. Book four and five of Percy Jackson series (Rick Riordan). Started reading these books to see what the kids were raving about. Very good books. Fun reads.
    2. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Stieg Larsson)
    3. Born To Run (Christopher McDougall)
    4. Marine Sniper (Charles Henderson)... I already read "American Sniper" by Chris Kyle (highly recommend).
    5. The Blind Side (Michael Lewis)... I love true stories. I saw the movie several times but never read the book.
    6. Killing Floor (Lee Child)
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I am reading "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer

Warning - Not fiction and it very much pushes a Vegetarian/Vegan life.

It has inspired me to start making changes in my life. But, it is written from a PETA style perspective. Not for everyone.
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Bossypants, by Tina Fey. Light reading, amusing.
  • pnut456
    pnut456 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Just finishing up Safe Haven now. Really good!
  • Mrder37
    Mrder37 Posts: 904
    Options
    Where's wally I'm half way threw don't tell me the ending:)
  • PepperGirl1
    PepperGirl1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The Paris Wife: A Novel by Paula McLain
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    The Panther by Nelson Demille. I love all his books; his John Corey character is the best!
  • FloraSin
    FloraSin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Finished "Wheel of Time", well done! I'm on book 5 and I know it's literaly going to take a decade to finish (I read a lot in between books). A Song of Ice and Fire (aka Game of Thrones) is another good, dense sorta-fantasy series. I just started "City of Bones", too early to tell if I'll like it or not though. Yay reading! :drinker:

All three are series I thoroughly enjoyed. About halfway through Wheel of Time I took a break to read A Song of Ice and Fire again to refresh my memory on all the happenings before I went to meet the author. (He's so awesome!).

I read the first trilogy of Cassandra Clare and loved it. The City of Bones one. They're particularly fun if you're a big nerd and get all her anime references and what not. I didn't like the two series afterwards. I can't say why, I just didn't, but the first was very good.

Holy Batman! I didn't expect you all would have read so many of the books that I have too and also loved. DRESDEN! I'm totally shocked with all of the recommendations.
  • plumnbagel
    plumnbagel Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" by Edmund Morris. As a beginning weight-lifter, I wondered what motivated Teddy to get so "Bully!"
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Is This Normal?: The Essential Guide to Middle Age and Beyond by John Whyte.

It actually comes as a surprise to me how many books I read and haven't turned to newspapers given the stupidity of the American serial comma. I remember being in a really good mood one day a few months back skimming this health book in the cafe at a bookstore. Then suddenly it dawned on me that the book was Canadian. Of course!

Or when I think of all the top notch health books I have enjoyed in the last half a year, a flat-out wrong convention has emerged that's far more prevalent that I would have anticipated. Just about all of them say "five times more than" when they mean "five times as much as". Do book publishers require such butchering?
  • seresha
    Options
    Currently, my 1973 edition of the hobbit^_^
  • JRaeZins
    JRaeZins Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Just finished Ken Follet "World Without End" and just started Jodi Picoult "Mercy"

Loved The Hobbit and Game of Thrones Series