Energy needed for 2nd time mom

Options
I posted this on a different board, but got no responses...so trying a different board to see

I'm looking for tips or suggestions on what people do to have energy (to workout). I recently had my second kid (3 months ago) and I work anywhere from 8-9+ hours a day, then when I get home from work I have the little ones to take care of until my husband gets home from work (which is by 7 or so at night). By then I am just exhausted and have no every to workout. I can't really workout in the morning. before work (I would be working out at 3:30 am and where all my workout stuff is, is right next to my kids rooms and would wake them up, I've tired this before and didn't go over to well). I used to have a ton of energy, but since the second kid has come into the picture (being on modified bed rest during my pregnancy probably didn't help) I just feel like I am always tired and and no energy to work out. (Keep in mind my second kid has been sleeping though the night for the past 2 weeks, which is nice) So I'm trying to get some tips or advice on what I can do, I don't want to rely on caffeine, I've tired vitamin B12 and that didn't work and my vitamin I take everyday is suppose to help with energy but I don't really see it working. I really want to get back in shape and work out again like I used to. Any advice would be awesome.

Replies

• kmvz
    kmvz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Everybody’s different, but exercising in the morning works really well for me so I have energy and don’t procrastinate it. But I do think you have a couple options to make that easier. One is to make your exercise something like running outdoors. With the right clothes, you should be able to get out even in the winter. If you're out before dawn (and many of us are), it's a good idea to have bright colored clothes and a light.

The other big one would be to just move your equipment, or some subset of your equipment. For a solid work out, you should really only need one or two things, like a small set of weights or a jump rope. For people who live in apartments, these usually fit into maybe a square foot in a drawer/box/shelf with your sneakers. Even if you left any big equipment in the room next to your kids’, you should be able to find some area (basement? kitchen?) where you have a 3x5 space and that’s enough for a pushup, squats or whatever else you might be doing indoors.

If you're really worried about the 3:30 thing, try a short workout, like any of the 20 minute ones you can find on youtube or a twenty minute run. I bet you'll find it gives you more energy during the rest of the day than an extra 20 minutes of sleep, particularly if you leave your workout clothes ready the night before and don't waste any time getting started.
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Morning workouts are the best. Dont eat before you workout in the morning. After workout then have a big breakfast. note:(breakfast is the biggest meal of the day). remember a snack or 2 before lunch .note:(If you can workout again before lunch) then another snack or 2 before Dinner. Again if you can workout before dinner or wait 45mins after to workout before bed. For Dinner I choose to use small plates to put my food on. Sense dinner should not be a big meal before hitting the sack. Your body will need to rest well when sleeping.
    Keep in mind a fit body is made in the kitchen. Go by (70%nurition-30%fitness) or (80%nutrition-20%fitness)
    note:(running/sprinting will destroy Body Fat faster than any other cardio workout, jsut add light weight training to burn cals)
    Lifting weights will NOT bulk you up, but tone your body instead to give you that shape you want and drop BF quick!

Just DROP SODAS AND CANDY:glasses:
  • cecyvaquero
    cecyvaquero Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am a mom of 4 kids so I completed understand how you feel. My little one is 7 months and I really like to work out in the morning. I know you are tired in the morning but you just feel soo much better if you workout in the morning. I have lost all of my baby weight and so can you. Just keep moving and eating good. DRink lots of water. I think that the strength training helped alot. I love to exercise and every day is hard to get up and start working out but in a few weeks from now you will be happy that you did. I still eat bad food at times but in small portions. I don't eat Mcds unless I really have to. I will have chinese once in a blue moom. My weakness is Pizza. I went through a pizza phase but I am over it. I only really eat chicken. I am not big on beef or pork so I guess that helps me out to. I also don't eat pasta so that makes it easier. I eat rice but in really small portions. I do not drink soda at all. Once in a blue I will get a little craving for it but it will be a few sips and that is it.

Hope this helps.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    BOY, do I understand the ENERGY thing!! I had the SAME issue as my daughter got older with no energy (She will be 3 in April) Last Fall (2011) was the WORST! I am still not 100% but, I am getting there. I choose to workout first thing in the morning, before work. I leave my house at 6am to take my daughter to the inlaws, at work by 7am, get done at 430, go pick up the munchkin and then home by HOPEFULLY 545 or so...then have to worry about dinner. There is NO way I could get in a workout in the evening. There are times my hubby takes her in the morning or picks her up so that helps a bit but...My alarm goes off at 4 (I am going to have to change it to 3:45 soon), I get my workout in, shower and get on with my day. Now, that means I have to manage the rest of my time well so I cant get to bed by at LEAST 10 but, I do it.

It is really to each their own on what works better for you. Personal Schedules are a BIG factor in figuring out when you can actually fit in your workout.

As for my ENERGY, I noticed I was having some Thyroid issues as well as some hormonal issues after having my daughter. I had to cut my sugar WAY back and I am now on Thryoid meds. You should make sure that there isnt something else medical causing your energy issue.

GOOD LUCK!!!!