Kettlebell

Options

Replies

• daxazo
    daxazo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have the 7lb contoured one to start with. I think it's Go Fit? It's purple, and comes with a beginners DVD with Bob Harper. Then I got Jillian's Kettlebell DVD and it's much more challenging. I do that one every other day. Even though I still have a lot of fat to lose, I can already see more muscle in my arms and legs. It's a great workout!

Edited to add....I didn't realize there was huge issue with Jillian's DVD. I will have to look into it!
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    i was doing the golds gym one(walmart 3 dollars) its not very long but i always burnt quite a few calories in that short amount of time :)
    edited to add: title i do believe was boot camp my abs lol
  • uscdrj
    uscdrj Posts: 18
    Options
    Www.dailyburn.com has great kettlebell routines with a great instructor modeling excellent form which targets core muscles and legs. Also Amy Bento has some great dvds.
  • PaulFields56
    PaulFields56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    This thread is very disturbing. There have been numerous articles published by RKC certified instructors on starting weights and YOU SHOULD NOT BE STARTING WITH ANYTHING LESS THAN 15 POUNDS, PERIOD. Unless you are elderly, or are doing it for physical therapy/rehab reasons, forget anything less than 15 pounds exists. PERIOD. Ignore anyone who got their advice from Jillian or Bob Harper. Stick only to RKC Certified kettlebell instructors, not these "fad" gurus who KNOW NOTHING. You will get injured following their tips/advice as you progress.

Do.Not.Ever.Get.Any.Kettlebell.Lighter.Than.15.Pounds.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    This thread is very disturbing. There have been numerous articles published by RKC certified instructors on starting weights and YOU SHOULD NOT BE STARTING WITH ANYTHING LESS THAN 15 POUNDS, PERIOD. Unless you are elderly, or are doing it for physical therapy/rehab reasons, forget anything less than 15 pounds exists. PERIOD. Ignore anyone who got their advice from Jillian or Bob Harper. Stick only to RKC Certified kettlebell instructors, not these "fad" gurus who KNOW NOTHING. You will get injured following their tips/advice as you progress.

Truth.
  • Hertford86
    Hertford86 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I JUST finished one on FitnessBlender and really liked it. And it's free!
  • Hertford86
    Hertford86 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

Truth.

Can you explain why this is? I had read that you should never go above a weight that you can do with proper form for fear of injury. How can you hurt yourself by using to LITTLE weight?
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options

Listen to this man! I guarantee that if anyone knows, it's him. He will have researched this to the very minute detail....and as a trainer it is inline with my advice and ive been trained in kettlebells.
  • hagofnaedre
    hagofnaedre Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm a 27 year old woman and I started off using a 20lb kettlebell, about 5 weeks ago. I took it slow and paid very close attention to my form. I also read through From Russia with Tough Love: Pavel's Kettlebell Workout for a Femme Fatale. I'm not saying this book will make you an expert or replace an RKC trainer, but he very thoroughly explains positioning and I highly recommend it. I've never injured myself since I started using my kettlebell and I love it, especially box squats! I may move up to 25lb-30lbs here soon, as my 20lb weight is starting to feel easy now.

Take it slow and research, research, research!

Oh, and yes, I am seeing great results so far.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My standard "I want to learn to use kettlebells" response:

If you are interested in training with kettlebells, the hands down single most important thing that you can do is make the investment in at least one session with a certified instructor. And I don't mean the guy/gal at the local big box gym that claims to know what they are doing because they are a personal trainer.

Videos, books, youtube, etc. all have their place, and are great for workout routines and ideas. However, a visit (even one) with a certified instructor will give you the knowledge of proper form to train with maximum productivity and minimal risk of injury.

SFG, RKC, IKFF, WKC....it doesn't matter which organization they are associated with, as a beginner, any certified instructor will be able to get you started down the right path.
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    http://www.nofearfitness.com

The above is a great site.

I only do kettlebell two arm swings and cardio on bike or just walk. I have had great results!
  • contingencyplan
    Options

Truth.

Can you explain why this is? I had read that you should never go above a weight that you can do with proper form for fear of injury. How can you hurt yourself by using to LITTLE weight?

Read my first post in this thread for an explanation as to why.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options

Or mine, or the one by luckyfred with the link to Tracy Reifkind's video...
  • contingencyplan
    Options

Or mine, or the one by luckyfred with the link to Tracy Reifkind's video...

Thanks for being one of the few people in this thread who knows what they're talking about =)
  • strongarmk14
    Options
    totally agree with you. My miniumum weight is a 35 lb er
  • tinabuggy
    Options
    need to read this later...bump
  • GregJourney
    GregJourney Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I started using 3 in 1 kettlebell for absolute beginners, I just moved up to Paul Katami kettlebell for beginner s, love both very basic
  • MsJayeKaye
    MsJayeKaye Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Glad I came across this post! I JUST got home with a 7 pound Kettlebell I got on clearance from Target. I use 7 pound weights in my cardio workouts so I thought it would be a good place to start but after reading the posts I'll be returning it tomorrow. Thanks for the info.
  • tinanana7
    tinanana7 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bumping for later! I have been lax about using my kettlebell lately so hopefully this will get me reinspired!