Not losing pounds??

Options
I am trying to lose a stone and currently hover around 13.5 stone.
I do a lot of training for Duathlons and triathlons and am pretty fit
but still struggle to keep my weight down. I can burn lots of calories trough biking, running and swimming.
I am following the diary input but after 5 weeks still fairly static at about 13 stone 6/7
The only thing I can think of is that I'm not eating enough? I am trying to eat 'real food' and staying off the processed stuff.

I am male. 6'2

Any help?

Replies

• squigglehead
    squigglehead Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You really needt o open your diary so people can see, otherwise we don't know what we're commenting on! :)
  • domwhyte
    domwhyte Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Oh blimey, share my diary? That's scary! But I see what you mean.
  • domwhyte
    Options
    Opened it. Just for a little while
    Cheers
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you are eating too few calories. It isn't recommended for men to eat under 1500 calories a day. It seems most days you eat back your exercise calories, but not all days. Personally, I prefer the TDEE method where I can eat the same amount of calories everyday. With the massive burns you're doing for your training, you need to adequately fuel your body. Give these a read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    ummm... I am a 5"4 female and I eat more than you do...... ?????
  • domwhyte
    Options
    Interesting and I agree! But the system set me at the 1400 calorie mark! I agree, it's probably not enough. How do I work out adequate calorie count / day to help include the big 'burn' surplus when I train. I don't train everyday but swim or run or bike as a min 3-4 times / week. I agree about the too few calories.
  • fluffypetal
    Options
    Hiya,

Google a BMR and a TDEE calculator and they will ask you what exercise you do, your weight etc...... Your BMR number is what calories you need to survive and your TDEE number is your calorie intake to either lose weight ( TDEE minus 10 or 20% of the TDEE number). To maintain your weight you just eat your TDEE (without any minuses) and to gain weight, you eat above your TDEE.

You can then change your own settings on My Fitness Pal.

I done that and it works better for me.

Good luck

Annie x
  • amberbabb26
    amberbabb26 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm a 6-2 female and it even tells me to et 1760. So up them some and what helped me loose wieght is staying away from certain carbs no bread crackers that stuff eat fruit an veggies to et carbs.
  • domwhyte
    Options
    Yes, fruit is helping - just can't see why MFP set me at 1450!!
  • amberbabb26
    Options
    Did you say you wanted to loose 2 pounds a week? If so when I say that it tells me 1460. Go to a pound and a half it's 1760. I work out a lot and for my height I need more then 1460.
  • amberbabb26
    Options
    Also I loose bout 2 too 3 pounds a week.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You eat less than me and I am a 42 year old female. So, in consensus with the group, eat more.

Plus, I saw at least one day where you netted less than 0 for the day after exercise. This is bad for your body. If you are not eating at least your BMR every day, you can cause metabolic damage, lean muscle loss (and slowed metabolism), and you will eventually plateau and maybe even gain because your body gets all messed up.

Use the Body fat % calculator (military version is the one I use) and the BMR calculator at fat2fitradio.com and eat a deficit based on your TDEE.

My teenaged son eats way more than you and he is only 5'5"
  • domwhyte
    Options
    Yep, this is why I left MFP months back as the calorie suggested was so low, came back to it. Why haven't they improved it to take into account all the BMR / TDEE stats? I have emailed them. BMR for 46, male my height is 1870! So on that basis that's the minimum...The TDEE as in 1.55 X 1870 = 2898, 20% of that to lose weight is 2319, so will up my allowance to say 1900 to 2300 or just set it as 2319 perhaps? I typed in 2 pounds a week as I had heard that was a safe amount to lose / week without putting straight back on...
  • domwhyte
    Options
    A good friend of mine rides more than me and for longer miles and goes out without breakfast?!?! He read somewhere it raises the metabolic rate!! Just plain daft I think!!
  • Abram86
    Abram86 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Can someone look at my diary?
  • domwhyte
    Options
    How do you put a manual input figure for calorie / day allowance?
  • fluffypetal
    Options
    Yep, this is why I left MFP months back as the calorie suggested was so low, came back to it. Why haven't they improved it to take into account all the BMR / TDEE stats? I have emailed them. BMR for 46, male my height is 1870! So on that basis that's the minimum...The TDEE as in 1.55 X 1870 = 2898, 20% of that to lose weight is 2319, so will up my allowance to say 1900 to 2300 or just set it as 2319 perhaps? I typed in 2 pounds a week as I had heard that was a safe amount to lose / week without putting straight back on...

Seeing as you are a male maybe setting it at 2200/2300 could be a good idea.

I am new to this but I have done alot of reading on this site from all sorts of people who have all sorts of weight loss targets and they all say the same. You need to eat calories to lose weight.

I can't teach or preach but from what I have learnt and discovered is that I am working just below my TDEE minus 20% and I am losing a steady 1lb a week, which is good for me as they do say that if its at a steady pace its a healthy loss.

If you go to your "Goals" at the top of the page, you can set your own daily calorie intake.

Good luck, it's fun :happy:

Annie x
  • fluffypetal
    Options
    How do you put a manual input figure for calorie / day allowance?

Go to My Home at the top and then click "Goals" just under that.

Annie x
  • fluffypetal
    Options
    Can someone look at my diary?

Hiya,

You need to open your diary and make it "Public" and then maybe someone will help you.

Annie x
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat more!