Lose Stubborn Belly Fat

Options
I don't know about the rest of you, but I am always fighting with stubborn belly fat. I found an article that outlines the 3 top exercises to get rid of it. I am totally starting these tonight and figured I would share.

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/abs-workout-fastest-way-lose-belly-fat

1 - Sideplank
2 - Walk out from pushup
3 - Alligator Drag

Replies

• hulkweazel
    hulkweazel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    NO YOU CANNOT SPOT LOSE FAT. PERIOD.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    What if the belly fat was the last spot he had fat at? Then wouldn't that be spot reduction as it is technically the last spot? We can't just assume Op has fat everywhere, now can we?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

You obviously didn't read the article. Take your negativity elsewhere. I am trying to help people here.
  • PhotogNerd
    PhotogNerd Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Funny they didn't mention bacon? I always assumed that helped in some way.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    STOP EATING BANANAS!

(p.s. I consume at least one a day)

All humor aside, while you may not be able to spot reduce, you CAN give yourself the benefit of a mild tummy tuck by strengthening your deep core muscles (aka by doing the planks and pushups). As the core muscles tighten, they essentially pull everything else in with them.

Scientifically explained? No... does it work... I dunno... check my picture and you tell me.
  • hulkweazel
    hulkweazel Posts: 36 Member
    Options

You obviously didn't read the article. Take your negativity elsewhere. I am trying to help people here.
    Correcting wrong information =/= negativity. Stop being so sensitive. Don't like it, don't post wrong information.

Mikaela: No, because technically, you still have fat everywhere even if the stomach is the most visible.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Those are great ab exercises but they won't target belly fat. You lose fat all over and it comes off as it wants to. You can do all the killer side planks you want but you're only building muscle under fat if you have belly fat to lose.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options

Correcting wrong information =/= negativity. Stop being so sensitive. Don't like it, don't post wrong information.

Mikaela: No, because technically, you still have fat everywhere even if the stomach is the most visible.

Why should I believe some random dude on the internet vs a published article? How are you so sure it's wrong information?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Those are great ab exercises but they won't target belly fat. You lose fat all over and it comes off as it wants to. You can do all the killer side planks you want but you're only building muscle under fat if you have belly fat to lose.

There you go! :flowerforyou:
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    But what if it converts the fat into muscle?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    it is physically impossible to turn fat into muscle.
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Think jac is trolling
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I think those are great exercises for your abs. It is true you can't target fat and for your abs to show you need to burn the fat off that covers them. These exercises will help define the abs once the fat is gone. I would add squats to the list too though.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Think jac is trolling

I thought that might be the case, but I wasn't sure, and that's not the first time I've seen that myth perpetrated, and I know some people actually believe it.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options

Very true, it was posted in Shape magazine and endorsed by Dr Oz!
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    Think jac is trolling

Why do you guys have to be so mean? Is this the thanks I get for trying to help people? I am not a rocket scientist.....or a nutritionist......just a regular guy trying to help people. No wonder nobody wants to help around here.
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Lol just gotta love MFP!! :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I've been doing ab exercises for a year, and guess what? I still have belly fat. Yeah, I have less now than before, but that is because of my eating at a calorie deficit, not the ab exercises. Those will give you a stronger core, but it's not going to burn the fat off by itself.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Very true, it was posted in Shape magazine and endorsed by Dr Oz!

Beat me to it! Shape articles/Dr. Oz meh.....
  • Pattyo57
    Pattyo57 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump