Do you dip your fork?!

Options
2»

Replies

• Opera_Bound
    Opera_Bound Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    OMG What an amazing idea. Why has no one mentioned this to me before??? I've been avoiding ranch this whole time!
    I know right? I've never heard of this, but I will do it from now on!! Ya learn something new everyday!

Glad to help ladies! I wish you all the best of luck!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I've never tried either....but dipping or ziploc/shaking would work for me! Gotta try it! thanks.
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    yep i'm a fork dipper!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    And here I thought no one else on the planet could rival my love for ranch dressing!!!!

I hear you LOUD AND CLEAR.

1. Yes, I did the fork dip. It's helpful when at restaurants, especially.

2. I make my own ranch at home. Lucky for me, I like it a little on the thinner side for salads. I have been able to tweak it with Miracle Whip Light instead of Duke's Mayo (I use to HATE Miracle Whip, now we're on friendlier terms.... 50 cals a tbsp versus 200 with Dukes!!!!). I add a little bit of water to thin it out, then divide the total calories by how many servings I have. (I measure the initial batch or put it in a container that is measurable.) I love my homemade ranch.

3. McDonald's had "Salad Shakers" once upon a time ago. They were the BEST. Your salad came to you in a clear cup (essentially) with a domed lid. (Imagine their hot fudge sundae container but larger.) You poured in your dressing, popped on the top, shook like crazy, and the dressing was equally distributed in your salad!!!!!! I make my salads at home in tupperware. I add my dressing, pop on the top, shake like crazy. Not only does it evenly distribute your dressing, but it more evenly mixes your toppings.

4. I ran out of homemade salad dressing one night. Bummer. I only had full calorie ranch. Double bummer. I used only a small amount of ranch, mixed with a much larger amount of salsa (I like spicy foods). It made THE BEST dressing. I have repeated this dressing recipe often.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I am the odd person out, but I don't dip my fork, I am a salad shaker, I don't eat low fat or no fat dressings (eww gross), nor do I count the calories or fat, I actually welcome the fat from the dressing.

On the other hand, I don't eat store bought dressings (mayonnaise, salad dressings, etc)...........

Here is my recipe, I use home made mayonnaise also, if anyone is interested in the recipe.

1 cup mayonnaise
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/2 teaspoon dried chives
    1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
    1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions
    In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, chives, parsley, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    McDonald's had "Salad Shakers" once upon a time ago. They were the BEST. Your salad came to you in a clear cup (essentially) with a domed lid. (Imagine their hot fudge sundae container but larger.) You poured in your dressing, popped on the top, shook like crazy, and the dressing was equally distributed in your salad!!!!!! I make my salads at home in tupperware. I add my dressing, pop on the top, shake like crazy. Not only does it evenly distribute your dressing, but it more evenly mixes your toppings.
    I used to love those!! :love: I was so sad when they got rid of them.

And yes, I'm a fork dipper.
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    so I tried the dipping my fork in my dressing....wow...I only used 1 Tbsp. for my whole salad....Great idea!!!!!
  • Opera_Bound
    Opera_Bound Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    so I tried the dipping my fork in my dressing....wow...I only used 1 Tbsp. for my whole salad....Great idea!!!!!

:drinker: WOOHOO!! :drinker: Glad it worked out for you! Your salad was just as yummy, right? I'm a fan of dipping! :happy:
  • donghaeboong
    Options
    I do it with ranch, but not my Italian dressing (but I do measure, don't worry, haha). I started doing it a lot more when I got a newsletter from Jillian giving me this idea.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I love Ranch dressing too and I'm also a fork dipper. I read about it somewhere one time. My son makes fun of me but I don't care. :laugh: I do a lot of things that he thinks is weird. :bigsmile:
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I never dip my fork, lol. I pre-measure my dressing, pour it on my salad, and mix it around like crazy so I can get as much on every little piece as humanly possible, lol. :)
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I've been using it ever since I read this thread and it works so well when my husband just *has* to have a chicken sandwich from some not so good for you fast food joint and I get the salad. I only use like 1/4 or 1/5 of the package of dressing now whereas I used to use 1-2 pkgs because I couldn't stand lettuce without any dressing on it.
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    I :heart: :heart: :love: Love:love::heart: :heart: Blue cheese. I think I will try fork dipping:bigsmile:
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    And here I thought no one else on the planet could rival my love for ranch dressing!!!!

I hear you LOUD AND CLEAR.

1. Yes, I did the fork dip. It's helpful when at restaurants, especially.

2. I make my own ranch at home. Lucky for me, I like it a little on the thinner side for salads. I have been able to tweak it with Miracle Whip Light instead of Duke's Mayo (I use to HATE Miracle Whip, now we're on friendlier terms.... 50 cals a tbsp versus 200 with Dukes!!!!). I add a little bit of water to thin it out, then divide the total calories by how many servings I have. (I measure the initial batch or put it in a container that is measurable.) I love my homemade ranch.

3. McDonald's had "Salad Shakers" once upon a time ago. They were the BEST. Your salad came to you in a clear cup (essentially) with a domed lid. (Imagine their hot fudge sundae container but larger.) You poured in your dressing, popped on the top, shook like crazy, and the dressing was equally distributed in your salad!!!!!! I make my salads at home in tupperware. I add my dressing, pop on the top, shake like crazy. Not only does it evenly distribute your dressing, but it more evenly mixes your toppings.

4. I ran out of homemade salad dressing one night. Bummer. I only had full calorie ranch. Double bummer. I used only a small amount of ranch, mixed with a much larger amount of salsa (I like spicy foods). It made THE BEST dressing. I have repeated this dressing recipe often.
    I too put my salad in a plastic bowl with a lid and shake like crazy crazy. But I also use Salsa when I dont have calories left for Ranch.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Oh I dip! I dip! lol I find you get dressing in every bite that way. My husband makes fun of me but who cares about him lol
  • deeann1459
    deeann1459 Posts: 116
    Options
    I like getting the ranch dry mix for make your own dressing and just shaking it onto my salad (make sure the greens are wet to get maximum stickage)

But I am not a big dressing person, so your milage may vary... I love lemon juice and black pepper!
  • mcbeth
    mcbeth Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I used to have a little salad with my dressing, it covered the taste of the lettuce.

Now I have found I have acquired a taste for lettuce and crave salads. I started using lite or low fat Italian so that I got more flavore with less dressing.

I thought people were nuts when they said to dip your fork, I mean really that was almost no dressing on my fork. I kept trying and sure enough it does work. I had a really nice chef salad the other night, dressing with every bite and used almost no dressing. WOOT!!

You can teach an old dog new tricks!:wink:
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    He's a dipper, she's a dipper...wouldn't you like to be a dipper too?? (Sorry, had that Dr. Pepper commercial stuck in my head!)

I'm a dipper. Love it because I get a taste of dressing on every bite. BTW, are you my daughter? She even will put ranch on spaghetti! :noway: