What should I do when I've reached my goal??

Options
OK so today I've entered into my 3rd week using this app and yes I'm addicted to it. I've almost reached my target weight and I'm wondering who to do next in order to maintain my weight. I know I've lost my pounds in a short space of time so I don't want to mess thing up.

Do I increase my calories, if so by how many? Should I carry on with my allocated calories or do I move up to 2000 calories once I've reached my goal?

Thank you.

Les.

Replies

• katnord
    katnord Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering who to do next in order to maintain my weight.
    lol
    :-)

But seriously, congratulations! You can go back into your goals and reset them for weight maintenance. Then MFP will calculate the calories you need to maintain your goal weight once you reach it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If you are losing weight, you'll have to increase calories or else you'll keep losing. How much to increase them is the hard part. I say 100 cals per week until you start to see your weight hold reasonably steady.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I agree with jacksonpt about increasing by small increment, giving it some time, and checking results.

However, considering that you have only been on here for about 3 weeks and only had 14 lbs to lose, it is pretty safe to say that a decent portion of that weight loss was water weight and possibly reduced food intake in your gut. I would suggest going maybe 5 lbs lower than your target before you start increasing calories because you will always gain a little weight when you up your calories due to the things I mentioned.

Expect a slight weight gain and plan for it. What you want to watch is continuing to gain weight after a couple of weeks.
  • LesCalvert
    LesCalvert Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, much needed advice ;-)