Protein powder suggestions?

Options
I have just this week started heavy lifting (relatively speaking) and am trying to be more mindful of my protein intake. MFP says I need 146 grams daily, but the closest I have come is 93. I am resigned to the fact I will need to supplement, at least while I learn to adjust my diet appropriately. I make fresh juice each morning for breakfast (apple, celery, & carrot is my go-to).

So, my question is: what whey protein brand & flavor would you suggest that would work well in a fresh juice? I just don't think chocolate & vanilla will be tasty. Even if it has no flavor (is flavor neutral?), I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of whey isolate, so this may not be what you are looking for, but they are the two I use.

Carnivor: excellent beef isolate protein powder, fat free, cholesterol free, 24g protein, 8g carbs, 124 cal per scoop. Has a pretty good amount of creatine and BCAAs in it. The chocolate flavor is decent enough.

Protogen: blended protein (whey, egg, milk, casein), 2.5g fat, 30g protein, 6g carbs, 170 cal per scoop. Fair amount of calcium and potassium in it. The cookies n' cream flavor is awesome, and is what the info I listed is for.

ETA: just noticed the juice part, so ignore everything I just typed out. xD I mix all of mine with water.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of whey isolate, so this may not be what you are looking for, but they are the two I use.

Carnivor: excellent beef isolate protein powder, fat free, cholesterol free, 24g protein, 8g carbs, 124 cal per scoop. Has a pretty good amount of creatine and BCAAs in it. The chocolate flavor is decent enough.

Protogen: blended protein (whey, egg, milk, casein), 2.5g fat, 30g protein, 6g carbs, 170 cal per scoop. Fair amount of calcium and potassium in it. The cookies n' cream flavor is awesome, and is what the info I listed is for.

ETA: just noticed the juice part, so ignore everything I just typed out. xD I mix all of mine with water.

Why not whey?
    (or Whey=not, why? :laugh:)
  • breeshabebe
    Options
    I use J. Robb's organic Whey.. its yummy.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I've tried them, and they just didn't seem to hold me over for very long. Most people here think that varied protein absorption rates are total broscience and/or marketing scams, but I honestly noticed a difference in how long it was before I was hungry again when switching from whey to a meat based or blended protein.

Could have been placebo. Hell if I know, but I definitely noticed a difference.
  • redheaddee
    Options
    I've tried them, and they just didn't seem to hold me over for very long. Most people here think that varied protein absorption rates are total broscience and/or marketing scams, but I honestly noticed a difference in how long it was before I was hungry again when switching from whey to a meat based or blended protein.

Could have been placebo. Hell if I know, but I definitely noticed a difference.

Interesting. I find the same when I juice for breakfast: even though all the fiber has been removed, I find that I am not hungry until lunch, and sometimes not even then. It shouldn't work like that, but for me it does. Who knows.
  • srodsimpson
    Options
    Try to use the Hydrolyzed protein powders, they are the best for absorption as recommended in the book Body Confidence by Mark Macdonald. Also, Power Crunch protein bars are recommended 14 grams of protein and 205 calories.
  • DaSavedSinner
    DaSavedSinner Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have been using "Body Fortress" for over a year, 26g per scoop (140 cal) and only $15 at walmart. It comes in Cookies n Cream, strawberry, chocolate vanilla, and Chocolate peanut butter. I have used all but strawberry but I can tell you the only one I don't use plain is vanilla the rest are awesome plain or mixed with blended frozen unsweetened berries (usually strawberries with some blue, black and rasp). If you get on walmart.com they are avail in bundles for cheaper.
  • redheaddee
    Options
    I have been using "Body Fortress" for over a year, 26g per scoop (140 cal) and only $15 at walmart. It comes in Cookies n Cream, strawberry, chocolate vanilla, and Chocolate peanut butter. I have used all but strawberry but I can tell you the only one I don't use plain is vanilla the rest are awesome plain or mixed with blended frozen unsweetened berries (usually strawberries with some blue, black and rasp). If you get on walmart.com they are avail in bundles for cheaper.

The strawberry may be just what I am looking for, as it should go well in my juice.
  • fitGgirl
    Options
    every morning before the gym i have 1/3 cup of oats that i mix in one scoop of protein powder. The kind i like is Gold Standard 100% whey and in my oatmeal i like the delicious strawberry flavor.

after the gym i have a double protein shake with 1 scoop each of strawberry and vanilla ice cream which is DELICIOUS!!!! again, gold standard 100% whey. i buy mine from the vitamin shoppe. they also sell it at GNC but the price difference is something like $40 which is pretty outrageous IMO

sometimes in the afternoon i will have one more shake before heading home for the evening.

another flavor i enjoy by the same brand is the chocolate mint.

btw, i lift heavy 5 days a week and do one day of all cardio. i weigh between 135-140 and try to aim for 210 grams or more of protein a day. take your weight and multiply it by 1.5 or 2 to get the total protein (in grams) that a girl lifting weights should shoot for. don't forget to include lots of lean meats like chicken, fish and eggs as well as things like nuts, beans and Greek yogurt for extra protein!

GOOD LUCK!!!!

also, another side note. vanilla protein powder is AWESOME for making smoothies bc you can manipulate the flavor to whatever you want!

annnd, one more tip, if you decide to not go with my suggestion (which is totally fine!) just be sure to check that your ingredients list isn't full of "unnecessary filler" and that your protein count is much higher than your carbs. :)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I switched to Isopure because it dissolves easily and without clumps in water. Dutch Chocolate is pretty good but I will try a different flavor next. Ordered from Puritan's Pride but can't remember the price.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing about two years ago. I recognized that I wasn't reaching my daily protein goals through food and decided to incorporate a protein powder. An added benefit for me was that now I eat much more fresh fruits and veg because I make smoothies.

Anyway, there are so many reasons and variations to go with a certain kind. I started with Spirutien because someone introduced me to it, I liked the taste and it was easy to get in my local grocery store. For other personal reasons, I switched to Garden of Life, Raw Protein which I really like: http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Organic-Protein-Grams/dp/B0031JK96C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360783666&sr=8-1&keywords=Garden+of+Life+Raw+organic

Here are some sources to get your started:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/protein.htm
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/expert-guides/protein-supplements (kinda have to dig through this one)

My suggestions would be to research different kinds of proteins, determine your goals (might be more that protein) then go sampling. Many stores sell the single packets, which is nice to try different brands, types and flavors. Good luck!
  • redheaddee
    Options
    just be sure to check that your ingredients list isn't full of "unnecessary filler" and that your protein count is much higher than your carbs. :)

fair point well made. thanks!
  • redheaddee
    Options
    Many stores sell the single packets, which is nice to try different brands, types and flavors. Good luck!

Good to know!
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Promasil. 1 scoop, Calories: 90, Fat: 1g, Carbs: 0g, Protein: 20g.
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I like J. Robb's and just bought Nature’s Bounty Optimal Solutions Complete Protein & Vitamin Shake Mix - it's only 15g protein but is delicious and great source of vitamins and whole foods.
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have this problem, but even with protein powder, I find it hard to reach my goals. I typically use chocolate Muscle Milk, and mix it in other stuff (greek yogurt, with chia, and so on) so it feels like I'm having a treat. I don't find it filling at all, though, and I have a tough time justifying the calories without some flavour benefit :)
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to offer since I don't use protein supplements. I get all I need, and then some, through food. It never occurred to me that this is not universally true. Interesting.
  • brentalanrhodes
    brentalanrhodes Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Muscle Pharm's combat powder
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I use the protein powders and mixes from Herbalife. They also have a clear fruit flavored protein drink that is 80 calories and 15 grams of protein and other more typical options. I don't depend on them daily, but I sure do like the convenience when I need an extra boost in that area.
  • daz5166
    daz5166 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i use whey with water its in an out off your system with in an hour but if i have a shake before bed i put milk with it so it makes it slow releasing , i use powerbeck tastes brill with water