Sore muscles and weighing in

Options
I heard you shouldn't weigh in when your muscles are sore, because you retain water? Is this true? I am in so much pain, it's not even funny.. Not that I over did it, just that I worked some muscles that I haven't worked in a while.. (like 2 month =( ). and it HURTS.. so should I not weigh in in the morning?

Replies

• OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Interesting...unfortunately I don't know the answer, but it would be interesting to go ahead a weigh yourself now and then as soon as the pain goes down to find out the answer....just a suggestion!

Great job getting back into exercise after two months off!!!

Have a wonderful evening!
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    Ok, I'm no help. But I've always wondered this, in the back of my mind, when I weigh when really sore from a new workout or overdoing it . . . it seems that I do weigh a little bit more on those days. I'll be checking back to see what people have to say . . .
  • beMyself
    beMyself Posts: 29
    Options
    No clue...
  • lovingmyjaybird
    Options
    LOL Thanks ladies.. I have been just walking excessively for the past two months, then last week I started "your shape" for the nintendo wii.. That game kicks my butt.. lol. I can barely hold my son who is 30 lbs. it hurts soooooooo bad, I don't think im going to weigh tomorrow.. lol..
  • mdorisi
    mdorisi Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I found this article and it seems to make sense!

* After are hard workout, glycogen is depleted and when you eat sugar (from simple or complex carbs) your muscles will soak up a fair amount of it along with some water right away.
    * When you work out hard, you get tiny micro-tears in your muscles. To repair, they retain some water to help the process along.
    * Once your muscles get better even though maybe not fully healed, your body starts to move the water, waste, blood, etc. through you muscles much more normally causing you to “lose” the weight.

In reality, the weight gain is false. It is part of it. It is possible to lose weight after events especially if you get dehydrated but once you begin to re-hydrate you will gain it back. This little yo-yo in your weight should not be taken to seriously.

(the full article is at http://run4change.wordpress.com/2009/07/13/qa-post-weight-gain-after-events-sore-muscles-and-hard-efforts/)
  • lovingmyjaybird
    Options
    Thank you =) It makes sense now!!!!!
    I found this article and it seems to make sense!

* After are hard workout, glycogen is depleted and when you eat sugar (from simple or complex carbs) your muscles will soak up a fair amount of it along with some water right away.
    * When you work out hard, you get tiny micro-tears in your muscles. To repair, they retain some water to help the process along.
    * Once your muscles get better even though maybe not fully healed, your body starts to move the water, waste, blood, etc. through you muscles much more normally causing you to “lose” the weight.

In reality, the weight gain is false. It is part of it. It is possible to lose weight after events especially if you get dehydrated but once you begin to re-hydrate you will gain it back. This little yo-yo in your weight should not be taken to seriously.

(the full article is at http://run4change.wordpress.com/2009/07/13/qa-post-weight-gain-after-events-sore-muscles-and-hard-efforts/)