Crossfit ?

Options
Anyone here ever take crossfit? Or do you currently go to Cross Fit. I've been considering it but I must say that I'm a bit intimidated. I normally just run, do spinning or take some other form of cardio at the gym..... Any advice for beginners?

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Go visit a Crossift gym near you and check it out.
  • carmenni
    Options
    Go visit a Crossift gym near you and check it out.

Guess I have no other option! Thanks :smile:
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    If you have no experience with weightlifting at all. Just realize it is gonna take some time to learn proper technique to avoid injury. As most of their lifting is "olympic".
  • kticoulet
    kticoulet Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just started and the place I go to has a Fundamentals course. You cannot do real CrossFit until they train you to lift properly, etc. It's great. I don't have a ton of weight to lose, but I really want to reshape my body... and I think CrossFit will help me get there better than anything else. Go somewhere local and ask if you can look at a class/interview them.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I bought a groupon and went to about a dozen classes. It was an asskicking for sure!! Be careful crossfit has a very high injury rate, and questionable trainer certification (by questionable I mean virtually non existent)
    375a6e39_TooBO.gif
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Be careful crossfit has a very high injury rate, and questionable trainer certification (by questionable I mean virtually non existent)
    375a6e39_TooBO.gif

By certification you mean. "hey if you can complete the workouts, Your Certified to teach it!"
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Stock up on Aleve. Date an Orthopedist.
  • m2497
    m2497 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have a friend who is an orthopedic doc. He said his wife did crossfit (he and his wife are both in very good shape) and it did really bad things to her shoulders. This is one to be very careful with.
  • kimharpo
    Options
    My husband and I just recently started crossfit and our experience has been fantastic! In my adult life - I had never taken the time to do a total body workout like you get with crossfit and am gaining strength in places I never thought possible. Our trainers are always watching to make sure we are using proper body mechanics and weights that are appropriate for each of us. CrossFit is an intense workout, and you should definitely let your trainers know if you have had any injuries in the past. People of all shapes and sizes are able to participate and can modify as needed and the group setting is incredibly encouraging. I love it!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I hear Crossfit is a great place to pick up chicks.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I actually had one of the trainers at my gym come up to me today with his card and ask me if I've ever heard of CrossFit or was interested (I was just finishing my Strong Lifts routine). I honestly had no idea what it was and had to come home and do some research.

It looks pretty cool and like it might be fun. But...I'm also finding that it's expensive, so that is out for me. And...I'm not a big "class" person. I like doing my own thing at my own pace when I want.
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options
    I just started CrossFit yesterday. We're doing several foundation classes to begin with (where they teach you the exercises and how to lift properly). I'd heard how intense it was, so I did an 8-week bootcamp just prior to build strength and endurance. So far, it's been good. The trainer is careful with us and that's what lead me to sign up with his gym. I'm a backpacker and mountain-biker, so injury is the last thing I want or need! I'm not about to do anything crazy (unreasonable, beyond my abilities, etc.) and risk getting hurt.
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I would be interested if it weren't so expensive. Our local Crossfit gym was running a holiday special for the bargain price of $250 for three months. I don't even want to know what full price is.
  • jimmie65
    Options
    I would be interested if it weren't so expensive. Our local Crossfit gym was running a holiday special for the bargain price of $250 for three months. I don't even want to know what full price is.

The cheapest around me is $80 for 3 classes a week. $160-$200 is the going rate for unlimited classes.

Way too pricey for me.
  • hungergames324
    hungergames324 Posts: 240 Member
    Options

The cheapest around me is $80 for 3 classes a week. $160-$200 is the going rate for unlimited classes.

Way too pricey for me.

I want to try it too, but the prices near me are insane too.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    crossfit isnt all dodgy lifting. basically its about doing different workouts every day, rather set routines like "monday = cardio, tuesday = arms and back" etc etc.

google "Crossfit at home" and you will find many people doing crossfit style training with little to no equipment.

edit: also, there are going to be good crossfit gyms and bad crossfit gyms. just like anything. if your instructor isnt ensuring good form, find another one. obvioulsy there are a lot of bad ones because crossfit seems to have poor reputation. but check out some videos of the crossfit games, these people are super fit and from what i could see, their form was pretty good too.
  • jimmie65
    Options
    I've done Crossfit-style workouts for a while now. This week, I've started using a Crossfit box's WODs for part of my workout. I don't recommend it, though, unless you've had some training in Olympic lifts.