Anyone track potassium?

Options
So I notice I'm low in potassium (well according to MFP) and I'm vegan and get a ton of veggies, beans, nuts, seeds, quinoa etc. Anyways I eat healthy and lots of variety but I can't seem to get enough potassium. I'm wondering if thats why I feel tired sometimes or that can also be because my 2 year old daughter tires me out lol. How do I get more potassium without going way over my calories (which I usually do anyways?)

Replies

• lovetobethin86
    lovetobethin86 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if some of the foods that I track, people aren't putting in how much potassium is in the food and leaving it blank....hmm
  • om3guz
    om3guz Posts: 48
    Options
    A lot of food labels don't include potassium. I tried to track potassium but it was so frustrating to never meet my goal, even when I ate lots of fruits and vegetables. I am a vegetarian and I try to eat mostly healthy, but unless I ate a diet of potatoes and cantaloupe, I don't think I would ever be able to meet my potassium goal.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I don't really pay much attention to potassium, but I have noticed several times that I am way over. I am vegan also, and I am not sure where my potassium is coming from.
  • lovetobethin86
    lovetobethin86 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    A lot of food labels don't include potassium. I tried to track potassium but it was so frustrating to never meet my goal, even when I ate lots of fruits and vegetables. I am a vegetarian and I try to eat mostly healthy, but unless I ate a diet of potatoes and cantaloupe, I don't think I would ever be able to meet my potassium goal.

Yah this is what I'm thinking. I don't eat a ton of those things neither and woulodn't want to make them main meals. I also read that MFP is off alot about how much we need. It says I'm supposed to get 3500 and I just read online that recommended is 2000 so I'll try to get closer to that I guess.
  • Voxen
    Voxen Posts: 33
    Options
    I have to pay close attention to my potassium due to chronic hypokolemia. Try other foods high in potassium. Dried fruit is ok in terms of potassium, but if I were you I'd try to incorporate a few meals a week of high potassium foods. Like baked potato with avocado and a side of white beans. You may not think it, but avocados go great on taters. Plus they have about twice the potassium of a banana. Or try a meal like mushrooms with spinach and acorn squash. That's super high in potassium.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    If you are eating lots of veg and fruit (as a vegan), you are probably fine on potassium. Most people don't enter it.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Potassium isn't required on food labels, so it's difficult to accurately track them.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Potassium isn't required on food labels, so it's difficult to accurately track them.

*grrrr* I just started trying to track my potassium and noticed it isn't included on most labels. Really frustrating! I had to go back in and edit some recipes I'd created to include brands that I didn't actually use but that do include the potassium information. So far, most anything from Trader Joe's does not have the proper potassium content listed :(