Weight Loss Surgery (The Sleeve)?????

Options
Hello!
I just had the urge to share my current situation. My doctor has recommended that I do the weight loss surgery a couple of months back. I was already committed to doing Fitness Pal and Calorie Counter and was excited as I lost weight doing it. Then I thought about the quick way out, maybe I should take it, doc says I need to lose 80 pounds and I get it done in a matter of minutes, This just might work, and then I thought about it. If I can lose half of the weight on my on before the surgery date in July, then I do not need the surgery. I don't have diabetes or any other medical conditions(just hypertension) There are individuals doing it on here every day, I can do it with just a little motivation here and there.
My current weight is 204.00 my goal is 150 which is 54 pounds, not the doctors 80. Any suggestions and any new friends would not be taking for granted.

Thanks so much !!

Replies

• brandymandycandy
    Options
    :smile: It a decision you have to make on your own, its a shame that your doctor is "forcing" this on you when you don't have that much weight to lose.

I know a few people who have had the surgery and are on medication for the rest of their lives. That's a life long commitment.

I know you can do it yourself, keep up the good work smile:
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Most people will say to not do it - and you can lose the weight yourself, and they are absolutely right you can totally lose the weight yourself it may take a little longer but it totally doable.

I actually like what your doctor is suggesting though - you dont have any medical conditions currently and if you reduce your weight now you will drastically lower your chances of developing metabolic disease and may even solve your HTN. So I will just say its up to you, maybe ask him for some other patients who have had the procedure and get their advice about it.

either way best wishes!
  • tianormie
    tianormie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi there. First of all, I congratulate you for wanting to take action, whether by diet and exercise or by WLS (weight loss surgery) coupled with diet and exercise. I have done both options and was recently sleeved on 1/24/13. Whoever said this is the 'easy way out' has obviously not walked in our shoes. I have to watch what I eat, and how much I eat, now more than ever unless I want to get sick. I also have to exercise in order to lose the weight as well as keep it off (once I lose it all that is). It is a lifelong commitment.

My recommendation is to try to lose the weight the natural way. Obviously the WLS is an option but do not feel forced to do it. It's a HUGE, life changing decision. It took me years before I finally took this step but I know that it was the right thing for ME. Do your research, talk to both groups of people, weigh your options and know that WLS is NOT the easy way out. It is only a tool.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever path you choose to take! :smile:
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Do it yourself, who wants the loose skin from rapid weight loss if it can be avoided!
    Why not carry on learning how to diet and exercise in a healthy sustainable way!
    With good support of MFP pals and your own good intentions and will power!:flowerforyou:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Hi there. First of all, I congratulate you for wanting to take action, whether by diet and exercise or by WLS (weight loss surgery) coupled with diet and exercise. I have done both options and was recently sleeved on 1/24/13. Whoever said this is the 'easy way out' has obviously not walked in our shoes. I have to watch what I eat, and how much I eat, now more than ever unless I want to get sick. I also have to exercise in order to lose the weight as well as keep it off (once I lose it all that is). It is a lifelong commitment.

My recommendation is to try to lose the weight the natural way. Obviously the WLS is an option but do not feel forced to do it. It's a HUGE, life changing decision. It took me years before I finally took this step but I know that it was the right thing for ME. Do your research, talk to both groups of people, weigh your options and know that WLS is NOT the easy way out. It is only a tool.
    I agree with this post on doing your research for you and doing what is best for you and no one else. WLS is a very beneficial tool if you had tried all else but make not mistake it is hard work to keep weight off and/or maintain the weight you lose no matter what method you use to lose weight.

The only good thing about WLS is they help you to lose weight more quickly then you would thru diet and exercise only. Especially if you are morbibly obese or super morbibly obese.
  • StephG1130
    StephG1130 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    you are only 54 lbs away from your goal!? I am 150 away from mine and I opted out of weight loss surgery. You most certainly can do it without the surgery. Surgery is hard on the body and mind.. especially that kind. I just honestly don't think its worth it, especially when you are so close to your goal!
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    I had WLS 9/11/12. It's not the easy way. If you aren't comfortable with surgery, don't do it, no matter your doctor's opinion. You have to commit wholeheartedly. If you want to work on losing weight without surgery, by all means do.

As another poster said, do not let anyone pressure you into making a decision with which you are not comfortable.

Good luck
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    You're 204 and they're telling you to get weight loss surgery?

Uh..... no, do it yourself. That sounds absurd.
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    WLS is NOT the quick way out/the easy way out/etc!!!!!!!!!! I hear this so often and it is just not true. I had WLS exactly 9 years ago and have been successful - BUT, it is a complete and total change in lifestyle (no fudging here and there because if you do you will get horrificilly sick), it is a life long change in lifestyle and it is not the "answer" nor is it the "easy way" nor is it the "quick way". More people loose their lives during/after bariatric surgery than heart surgery. You need to do your research, you need to see a therapist to evaulate why you are obese and you need to be ready to fully commit.

I remember at my 4 week check up a woman who had surgery the same day I did came up to me and said "I figured out how to eat pizza without getting too sick". This woman should have never had the surgery. I had the surgery because I had messed up my body so badly that I could not loose weight no matter my diet and exercise regime, and I had diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, joint pain and acid reflux at the age of 40 - all of those problems are very distant memories.

If you have specific questions about the surgery, the lifestyle before and after please feel free to message me.
  • imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If you can do it on your own, why not avoid surgery?
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    With or without weight loss surgery, you have to change your lifestyle, what you eat, and add more exercise, so why put your body and soul through the trauma of surgery if you are already successful without it. Surgeons don't make money if they don't do surgery, so like the others have said...do lots of research!

Just based on your original post, I feel confident that you can do this without surgery, but no-one will fault you if you don't. As long as the end result is a healthy YOU!

Best of luck on your decision.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I was considering this and started eating less while I saved the money to get it done. After 6 months I took it off the table and decided I could do it myself. You can too. You're already well on your way. Why saddle yourself with an invasive surgery that will require daily supplementation for the rest of your life when you can just keep doing what you're doing?
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why a doctor would be pushing you towards it, and whats the rush that he feels like you need to take it off like yesterday? I also have hypothyroidism and I joined in july and lost almost 50 in about 4-5 months by staying within my calories for the day, and walking. I think surgery seems like a lot more work, a lot more money then doing this. I think you can do it without the surgery.:smile:
  • Maribabewhich
    Maribabewhich Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My goal is same as yours or even get to 160 I am currently 201. I work out daily 60 mins. And working on my eating which is going good so far. You can do it :smile:
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Girl, it's your body. Do what YOU want... and if your Doctor is trying to press weight loss surgery on you, then he's not a very good doctor.

Excess skin surgery... THAT one I believe in, because it's not a quick way out. It's a reward.

As far as quick ways out go... a coworker of mine had Gastric Bypass, & dropped weight VERY rapidly... the rapid change in body chemistry messed him up BIG time. He lost focus, wasn't able to concentrate anymore at work at all. His personality changed, he started getting into trouble at work, his wife eventually left, and he got fired soon after.

Research, research, research.

And if you have to fight for your weight loss, you're more likely to maintain it.
  • Routerninja
    Options
    you are only 54 lbs away from your goal!? I am 150 away from mine and I opted out of weight loss surgery. You most certainly can do it without the surgery. Surgery is hard on the body and mind.. especially that kind. I just honestly don't think its worth it, especially when you are so close to your goal!

Yeah, this.. I've got 210 pounds to my goal, and I'm not considering surgery. 54 pounds can be lost over a year or less easily. You don;t need surgery.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Woah, I really wouldn't have even thought you'd be considered as a candidate for WLS. I started at 245lbs with a similar goal to yours, 160lbs and I thought even I wouldn't have ever been considered (not that I ever thought of it as an option).
    Losing it without the surgery is absolutely ideal and you're fully capable of it. I'm currently at 181lbs and hopefully nearing my goal sometime this year! I began losing weight in June. Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • rell2k13
    rell2k13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Your profile says it all: "I know I can do this" Believe in yourself and get 'er done!
  • chadgard
    chadgard Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this.. I've got 210 pounds to my goal, and I'm not considering surgery. 54 pounds can be lost over a year or less easily. You don;t need surgery.

Indeed - 54 pounds could easily be lost in a year, just a tad over 1 pound/week. Since your health is good now, what of value is to be gained by a risky, expensive, invasive surgery? I can't even believe you would be a candidate for weight loss surgery, with no pressing health concerns that would prevent you from doing it naturally.

I have a friend who had bariatric surgery. She weighed over 400 pounds, and had to loose 60 and keep it off for 6 months to prove she was committed enough to qualify for the surgery. She had the surgery, lost another 55. Then gained it all back and weighs over 450 today. The quick easy way out was her motivation on that first 60, and then she expected the surgery to make life easy. Alas, it didn't, and she had lost that motivator.

In your case, you have so little to loose, yet your doctor is pushing you toward surgery? At a minimum, you should get a second opinion, and, as others have said, it's really your choice in the end anyway. I would question what your doctor has to gain by pushing you toward the surgery. Does he have some sort of financial incentive via the hospital, medical group, insurance company? Maybe kickbacks from the surgeon? (OK, -probably- a bad joke....). It just doesn't make sense...
  • 12katfink
    Options
    My sister in law had the sleeve done for medical reasons but it has been hard there are a lot of restrictions with your diet and how much you can have at a time. She has to be very careful not to dehydrate. Sounds like you are doing really well with fitness pal I too am over 200 and the doctor wants me down to 175 at least by April. So I am trying this plan. Good luck to you