DON'T ASK ME ABOUT DIET PLANS..................

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
I'll gladly discuss with you about calorie issues, fitness, your workouts, etc., but if you ask me about a specific diet plan (paleo, vegan, Atkins, Medifast, etc.) my response will ALWAYS be the same: diets are temporary fixes for 90% of the people who take it on. The 10% that make it don't need my help, they figured out they can live that way the rest of their life.
I've been inundated on my email asking about this diet and that diet.
Eat a lifestyle you can continue for life, but ensure that you get in the right amount of daily macro/micro nutrients for yourself.

Rant over.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    But what do you think about South Beach?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    It's a great place to party!!!!!!

IDEA Fitness member
  • ttlmallen
    Options
    Hahaha Love it. I so enjoy reading these posts.
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It's a great place to party!!!!!!

IDEA Fitness member

LOL
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Awesome Thread, Great Advice, and I also hear south beach is a great place to party :)
  • sphira
    sphira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'll gladly discuss with you about calorie issues, fitness, your workouts, etc., but if you ask me about a specific diet plan (paleo, vegan, Atkins, Medifast, etc.) my response will ALWAYS be the same: diets are temporary fixes for 90% of the people who take it on. The 10% that make it don't need my help, they figured out they can live that way the rest of their life.
    I've been inundated on my email asking about this diet and that diet.
    Eat a lifestyle you can continue for life, but ensure that you get in the right amount of daily macro/micro nutrients for yourself.

Rant over.

IDEA Fitness member

I couldn't agree more! It has to be a lifestyle change which you can continue for the rest of your life or you'll be back to where you started!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Love this. Couldn't agree more.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. Plus it's hard for even a person with a lot of knowledge and experience like yourself to give perfect advice over the internet.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. People always look at how much weight I have lost and are always disappointed when I say I just counted calories and exercised thats it.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    ^This... I'm sick of my non-immediate family asking "Oh what diet did you do to lose all your weight?" I didn't diet I just made better choices -_- people just want to eat like pigs and be skinny, doesn't work like that xD
  • mikek333
    mikek333 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have a question...It's commonly said that you can't burn fat without a deficit. Also, you can't build muscle on a deficit. How then does one change their body composition? Is it somehow possible to add muscle and burn fat at the same time? I'm 5-8, 170 with a 23.6 body fat and a BMR of approx 1675. Thanks.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    ^This... I'm sick of my non-immediate family asking "Oh what diet did you do to lose all your weight?" I didn't diet I just made better choices -_- people just want to eat like pigs and be skinny, doesn't work like that xD

Jimmy Moore a fine example of that.

I love people's wishful thinking; that there's a magic solution to body composition and weight loss rather than hard science.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options

Or "Are you on some kind of special diet?" Well no, I'm not. -.-
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Ok, I have a question...It's commonly said that you can't burn fat without a deficit. Also, you can't build muscle on a deficit. How then does one change their body composition? Is it somehow possible to add muscle and burn fat at the same time? I'm 5-8, 170 with a 23.6 body fat and a BMR of approx 1675. Thanks.
    Well you can burn fat ONCE your glycogen stores are depleted. And fat is the main source of energy burn AT REST. This is why a deficit is needed because more fat is burned at rest than by doing exercise.
    And it's true about trying to build muscle on a deficit. Adding muscle requires adding weight and to add weight you need to add calories.
    Recomp is doable, but man the accuracy of trying to do it (correct macros, in the right amount and not overexercising) can consume one to do it.
    Personally for years, I would cut for summer and bulk during the winter adding a little muscle on each bulk cycle.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    If the diet industry wasn't such a big business (over 40 billion a year) maybe people would use some common sense and just change their way of eating and do some exercise. It seems to me its much easier to do that than some fad diet plan.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    If the diet industry wasn't such a big business (over 40 billion a year) maybe people would use some common sense and just change their way of eating and do some exercise. It seems to me its much easier to do that than some fad diet plan.
    The biggest issue is that many people are unknowledgeble when it comes to ACTUAL weight loss, especially in the first week of a diet plan. Most revel that they lost high numbers that first week and super claims of losing 3 inches, when in reality if they would have just cut back to a sensible amount of calories and for many just increased their water intake, they would have gotten the same results.
    But diet companies make big money which helps them produce the eye catching ads. And many people today get pretty desperate to lose as fast as they can with as little work as possible.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I agree, But diet companies don't want them to become knowledgeable. That would decrease their revenue. :) If diet companies didn't exist, people would have to rely on the common sense way of losing weight.

Every time a new diet book gets published, it ends up on the best seller list. You'd think people would have learned by now.