How to build running endurance quickly

Options
I should start by admitting I do not enjoy running, but want 2013 to be the year I learn to love it as it is free and accessible and would enable me to go from being a swimmer to maybe doing triathlons.

At the moment I can do about 5.4km before nearing death. I only have time to run twice a week and want to build up to 10km at least. so wondered what a good regime would be.

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I would suggest Couch to 5k but that requires 3 days a week.
  • originalkazila
    Options
    When I signed up for the gym I told them I wanted to do a 5k in June, he suggested 3 days a week for me with cardio and weight training. I have no previous running training and I was fairly couch-potatoesk. As long as you do a little more each time you'll get there.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Are you running that 5k straight, like running the whole time?

Check out Jeff Galloway's run walk program: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html
  • mossman2012
    mossman2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Walking can help you strengthen those same muscles as running. Small things like using the stairs instead of the elevator. Walking to the store for groceries or just parking at the far end of the parking lot. The more you use your legs the better. Some strength training will help too, squats and lunges and calf raises.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    there isn't a shortcut to endurance..you have to put the miles in and learn to utilise your body's energy reserves as efficiently as possible.

You could try c25k or even a 10k programme to help you build up the miles.

As a relatively new runner who has come through the c25k ranks and training for a marathon, I have found that logging in honest miles and adding cross-training like swimming/bike rides/elliptical etc added in will help you develop endurance.

You will enjoy your runs much more once you arn't going flat for broke...unless you are looking to develop speed, whhich would involve speedwork as well as..endurance and logging in the miles.

you are already running a 5k distance..that is no mean feat!

good luck :-)
  • Ecce_Signum
    Ecce_Signum Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yup, a C25K plan sounds good and whilst the plan says 3 days/week you can chop and change. I've started running again and this time around rather than trying to run faster every time I go out I'm trying to run slower - it might seem hard to run at 5mph but is helping me improve my endurance.

My current best is 2.6 miles before a walk break but aim on building that up to 6.2 miles (10k) then might think about speed work. Obviously if all you can allot is 2 days per week then you have to go with that but people can/have run 10k's on the back of that.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Just do long runs on one of your days. I suggest more - but if you have 2, make one 10K or more.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You can easily go from a 5k to a 10k in a year. Your best bet is to do c25K until you feel comfortable with the 5k distance and then do B210k. Follow the program as directed.

There is no safe way to build endurance "quickly". Adding more than ~10% mileage per week for a beginner is the route to an injury. Just don't do it. Running injuries from adding irresponsible mileage can bench you for weeks, even months depending on what it is- they're no joke. If you follow those two programs, You'll get to a 10k in less than 6 months. No need to rush it.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    HATED running when I started. Hated it in high scahool and always have had knee issues. But the hubs asked more than a few times if I would run the 5k with him this year. When he wouldn't stop asking I took it as a sign it would mean a great deal for him to make that a fitness goal of mine. Snce he has been EXCEEDINGLY supportive of my journey I decided tht to train and try to do this for him was the least I could do to return his support. We are trying to find a 5k to replace the usual one he runs since our daughter graduates the morning of that event this year.

I started using C25K: OMG I thought I was going to die the first week but kep pushing. I started and stopped a few times and restarted again. Maybe about 3 times I did this... Finally i just decided to start running the full 5k to see if I ran one today where I might be on time. Now, I just run the laps until the weather breaks. I make goals... Jog5 laps before one lap walking... I keep pushing and find my pace to make those goals succeed :drinker: You Got this!

Oh and I really enjoy running now. Almost as much as my elliptical... ALMOST
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are going to find a "program" for two days a week. The rule of thumb is that you can add 10 % mileage per week. So, I would start at 2x4k the first week. Then keep one run at 4k and add 1k to the other run each week.

Remember that, especially because you are a swimmer, it's not cardio endurance you are needing. It's the ligaments, tendons and running-specific muscles that you need to strengthen. So, don't hesitate to stay at the same long run 2 weeks in a row if you need to.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Gradually increase the distance of one run each week until you get to 8 or 9 miles. A 10K will feel easy at that point. Walk/run if needed, but gradually diminish the walking.

Do sprints for the other run with a mile of easy warmup and cool down. Vary the sprint distance, 400m, 600m, 800m, 1000m, 12000m, 1600m (a mile), keep the total distance at about 3 to 4 miles, time the rests between. You can find workout programs online for this.

consider adding a third run each week.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    More miles, more miles, more miles and run more days for sure.

Run slow and easy until you build up your endurance, then the speed will come naturally.

I disagree with the previous poster, one long run and one day of sprint seems like a recipe for injury for a new runner - just my $.02.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    More miles, more miles, more miles and run more days for sure.

Run slow and easy until you build up your endurance, then the speed will come naturally.
    Exactly This

Quickly? There are no shortcuts. There is only running, and running, and more running.

You know what they say about the runners in the Olympics. We don't send the best runners to the Olympics. We send the runners with no injuries to the Olympics. Don't be in a major rush. Do it the right way. If you're not able to do a full 10k without walking you don't need to be doing sprints. You need to be doing more easy casual running.
  • fatfrost
    fatfrost Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    What I am about to give you is gold. This is the best advice I have ever seen on running, anywhere. I followed it and am up to about 6 miles per day 3x per week.

http://www.reddit.com/r/USMC/comments/uwb3r/i_need_help_passing_my_ist/c4z5jm2

You're welcome.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    If you're already at 5k, then I'd do the "Bridge to 10k" program... tons of them online! I downloaded one with a Zombie theme... gives you cues about being chased by Zombies!!! HiLaRiOuS!

Anyway... there are also some online that just give you times... that's cool too. It's how I got up to running 60mins. I'm going to stretch that out to train for my first half-marathon in April!
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    hmmm....

How to answer this.

Start running more 6 months ago.

Running stamina needs to be built up slowly or you risk stressing the body.

Running is funny... first is the 'hate' stage .... then the 'desire' stage.... then 'drug' stage.... The drug stage is the best (but can damage relationships!) !

Good luck!
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I disagree with C25K

If you can already run 5K then this program will not really help you.

As others have said there is no quick way to aerobic endurance / aerobic fitness. It is gained over many hours of consistent work in the correct heart rate zone.

If you can really only run 2 days per week you are going to make very slow progress. That is just enough to maintain current fitness. 3-4 days per week is really needed to make gains.

The approach to building up miles / endurance is really pretty simple. Run all of your miles slow (if you feel like you are going to die you are running way to hard) You should be in the aerobic zone, and should still be able to talk.

Add miles at a rate of about 10% each week. Every week should consist of 2-3 medium - short runs (probably about 20-30 minutes for you) and one long run where you concentrate on building up your distance.

Hal higdon and jeff galloway both offer good beginner running plans for most distances that take out the guesswork
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I found HIIT a couple times a week improved my endurance and improved my speed more than running 5k every day.
  • sidegrinder
    sidegrinder Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Take the proper time and put in the effort to build a decent base. Running is a beautiful sport, but can be an injury nightmare for beginners because your aerobic efficiency increases much faster than your soft tissues/connectors can. Hasten slowly.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I found HIIT a couple times a week improved my endurance and improved my speed more than running 5k every day.

HIIT will help your speed. it will not help your aerobic endurance