recipe drama (from flour to bread)

Options
I decided to make whole wheat home-made baguette for the family and I used two cups of whole wheat flours, but after the water , yeast, egg-white and baking....etc, I don't know what a serving 1/4 cup/30g of flour equates to weight in bread. I didn't weigh the bread or divide it into portions after baking. My bad. Anyone else run into this problem and how to guesstimate the finished product serving size?

Replies

• bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    What about putting it in the recipe builder and then put in how many servings you end up with? Then it will give you all the info per serving. :bigsmile:
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Did you put it all into the recipe program?? It should work it out for you. Once I am done making something I gigure out portion sizes and incluse it in the name of the recipe so I can remember
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    What about putting it in the recipe builder and then put in how many servings you end up with? Then it will give you all the info per serving. :bigsmile:

This is what I do. It generally takes a long time the first time I make something but it's worth it.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options

This is what I do. It generally takes a long time the first time I make something but it's worth it.

I agree.
  • raquel424
    Options
    I did, and the two cups of flour and fixings make an 8 portion loaf. The recipe indicated a portion is 113 cals, but what I was hopping for is to know what the serving of 30 grams of flour and fixings = ??? grams of baked/finished product . Does that make sense?
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The recipe calculator can't "do" that

If you take 1 cup of water and 1 cup of flour you don't wind up with 2 cups of the combined paste you just made. You may end up with 1 and a bit cups of paste or a bit under 1 cup of the paste. But you'd have to weigh the loaf and divide it by the number of portions you said it made to figure out how many grams portion should be.
  • raquel424
    Options
    Yeah I figured that much after I baked and ate some of the bread without thinking of dividing the whole thing into the portions. Lesson learned, this is new to me. I did of course weigh how much bread I had but that doesn't help comparing against the recipe of dough. I'll probably use the nutritional value on the back of my whole wheat pita as a temporary measure for now until next loaf. Thanks :)
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Yeah I figured that much after I baked and ate some of the bread without thinking of dividing the whole thing into the portions. Lesson learned, this is new to me. I did of course weigh how much bread I had but that doesn't help comparing against the recipe of dough. I'll probably use the nutritional value on the back of my whole wheat pita as a temporary measure for now until next loaf. Thanks :)

If you weighed the portion you ate, just weigh whatever is left and add together to get the total loaf weight. Or did you share with people who didn't weigh theirs? I'd just estimate what percentage of the whole loaf you ate if you can't figure it out
  • TerriAnne53
    TerriAnne53 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

Exactly
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I found this site helpful. But you'd still have to measure the finished product and come up with a serving size, as the others have said.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/510434-how-to-calculate-the-serving-size-in-recipes/