Any gastric bypass patients on here

Options
Anyone else had gastric bypass on this site? Gained weight back?

Replies

• MsJackieO318
    MsJackieO318 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had it about 2 and 1/2 years ago. I could not be more happy with the results. I went from 265 to 115 at my lowest. I have gained some bounceback weight, currently I am 133-135ish, but some of that may be muscle as I lift pretty heavy for a girl. I am on here to log my food and track, while I am by no means overweight I think I am perfect at 125 and would like to get down there. I am also preparing for a tummy tuck (ugh you can lose weight but not the extra skin) and want to be at my ideal weight for that. A lot of people think gastric bypass is an "easy way out" but it is a tool and you can still gain the weight back, I know many that have had the surgery and end up heavier than before. Are you considering surgery or did you already have it and am trying to lose some of the bounceback weight?
  • evamerrifield
    Options
    I have already had it.........did you know that after 2 years you lose the benefit of mal-absorbtion?
  • evamerrifield
    Options
    I kept my weight off for about 4 years then I had my boy and that combined with staying at home ALL THE TIME, I have put on 35 lbs of it back
  • MsJackieO318
    MsJackieO318 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yup at almost exactly 2 years out I started to have the weight creep on, so YES! I know about the loss of malabsorbtion, lol. It sucks!!! Even though you have gained I think you are doing a great job. You are only up 35 lbs and you had a kid, and you are taking the first steps by being on here . Try to look on the bright side....I'm sure you are still much smaller than you were to begin with, and you have a beautiful child as well. Have you started hitting the gym? That is what has helped me the most. If you want friend me, we can motivate each other to go to the gym. Also, if you are stuck at home with the kid and get to the gym try some different exercise tapes. I got some off ebay very inexpensively, even the walking ones are ok in the winter.
  • evamerrifield
    Options
    Wow atleast your Dr. told you, I know 6 people in my area that have had the surgery and NONE of them knew this.......I just found out about 3 months ago, I have been riding a stationary bike here at home..........I will friend you when I get back in a few..........thanks for your time
  • Laxmom1418
    Options
    I had gastric bypass. Almost 2 years post op. I never did make it all of the way to my goal weight. Let alone what "they" think my goal weight is. And worse than that, at Christmas, I got back into old eating habits, taking a bowl of potato chips to bed with me, fast food and sugar. I have never had any signs of the "dumping syndrome" I had and still have a tough time telling the difference between full and hungry.
    After a gain of 14 lbs, I just knew that I could NOT go back there no matter how easy it would be. I cant!! I cant!!!! I started texting with a buddy. The deal was I had to text her everything that I put into my mouth and she had to do the same. Once I started weighing things again and measuring, I realized how much i was overeating. After one week and a loss of 4.5 lbs, it was easy to get back on track.
    I feel powerful again. I feel in control. Not to mention that I feel so much better. The headaches are gone, the fatigue is gone. I almost feel like me again.
    So pleeeeease....don't give up....don't turn back. Make a simple change. Make that committment to yourself not to go back. Get out some old photos, your journals. Think back to the losing stage. Remember how good it felt. Go back there...give it another try...It's not too late to reach out for help....WE are all in this together!!
  • AZLDSGal
    AZLDSGal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello All,
    I had Gastric Bypass approx. 8 years ago and I went from 309 to 148 but I am back up to 181. I am not happy about it but it hasn't been to bad for almost 8 years (is what I keep telling myself). I tried the 5 day pouch diet a few weeks ago and I lost 11 pounds but went right back to eating sugary snacks and put that back on...I am not a huge food eater but I do love sweets. I am going to try next again and see if I can get myself going again.....I am just looking for lots of support :bigsmile:
  • kkmonroe79
    kkmonroe79 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I haven't had Gastric Bypass, but I had Lap Band surgery in November. I'm here for the motivation, as it's a great tool - but still a LOT of work! :) You guys have done great!!!
  • evamerrifield
    Options
    I am sooooooooooooooo disappointed in myself.........I never got to my goal weight, BUT I was so ok with the weight I stayed at for 4 years, until I had my boy, but after the pregnancy and being GLUED to my home, I have put on 35 pounds, I am so very miserable, nothing I wear looks good...........I have always worked and staying at home can get really old, I am thankful to be raising my boy but it does get VERY routine.......it's been a huge change for me.......and of course my husband has no clue what I mean, he works 7 on 7 off, so for one week I am home with my boy alone, then the next he spends the week doing what he wants to do, while I am again at home...........can anyone tell I am not a happy camper today LOL, I love my honey, and he is a good man but they really can be oblivious to our need to "get out"
  • jwhitch
    jwhitch Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass almost 25 years ago. You never lose the need to be diligent about your weight (at least I never have which is why I'm on MFP!). Don't beat yourself up about gaining the weight back, you have made a positive step toward getting back to the weight you want to be. I lost over 100 lbs initially but have gained & lost the same 30-40 lbs more than a few times. I'm currently at my goal weight, and I did it using MFP. Like many others, I had no idea how many calories I was consuming but this time I'm committing to healthy eating & exercise. I do indulge in some of the foods I love but I try to make sure that I stay within or close to my calorie limit. I also walk almost every day, which is something I've never done before. You can do this!
  • LuckyPoodle
    Options
    I had gastric bypass 11 years ago this week. I have no doubt that I still malabsorb. I lost my daughter to TSS 2 1/2 years ago and gained 20+ pounds in 6 months, I sat in one spot! Since then I am up moving again and lost that plus some. I still dump, I still malabsorb and I still can only eat 1/2 cup. But, I eat all of the time!! I'm still losing a pound a week, 60 in the last year and a half.
    The difference is, I asked my Dr for a very long bypass so that I'd have more malabsorption. He was a wonderful Dr and most of his patients had zero regain. He isn't doing the surgery anymore though.
  • christypol
    Options
    I has gastric bypass 4 years ago... I don't regret it, there is still 100 lbs less of me, but I should lose another 75 to be healthy. I've been stuck at this weight for about 2 years now..no gain, but no more then 5 lb loss either. Looking for support here, getting back to working out (I quit while in nursing school )
  • Fredrigo
    Fredrigo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    As I studied up for my lap band procedure it appears lap band and gastric bypass on average have the same amount of weightloss over the first 3 years. Lap band generally spreads the weight loss out more over that time while bypass loses faster at first then tapers off.

Most people lose 15 points off of their BMI which means even though they are more healthy less than 15% report reaching their "goal" weight within those 3 years.
  • elkinsrk
    elkinsrk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass 5 years ago. Never got to goal, lost about 60 pounds with surgery after 60 with high protein product diet. I have gained about 20 pounds back. I have had sclerotherapy to make opening smaller, but really need help not eating the wrong things. I did well for 3 years, but have found myself eating chips and chocolate again because they go through easy. I have never had dumping syndrome, but do have trouble with high and low sugars, going over 200 when I eat, and sometimes dropping to 50s afterwards, or when I don't eat. I really need to get motivated again.
  • swoods516
    swoods516 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had RNY Gastric Bypass 9 years ago. I had lost 120lbs and never reached my gal weight. I've now gained 40 back! I know it still works as long as I eat what I should. My biggest problem has been slider foods and sweets. I am working real hard to change that. I will celebrate 10 years in October. My ultimate goal would to have the 40 off by then but I also know that is probably unrealistic.
  • Imgoing2makeit
    Options
    So how did you decide on a calorie goal. My Doctor is no longer here & I can never get a straight answer from ANY HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL. Im lost before I've even started because I don't know how many calorie to consume. Im a little over 5yrs. Post op. Any suggestions websites comments would be greatly appreciated.
  • XxMarcella85xX
    XxMarcella85xX Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone please feel free to friend me I had gastric almost three and a half years ago. I'm always looking for bypass friends so we can compare diaries and help each other. So, I started out 325 pounds before surgery I lost 125 pounds and was very happy at 200 pounds I because I was so used to being 26 and I was a size 12/14 so.....after 3 n 1\2 years I have gained back 42 pounds I have managed to loose 12 pounds using MFP but have stopped loosing I went to see a baratric dietician and this is what she told me for post ops:

1200 to 1300 calories per day
    60 to 80 grams of protein per day
    No more than 130 carbs per day
    No more than 30grms of fat per day
    No more than 2000 grms of sodium daily
    No more than 30grms of carbs per meal and 10 grams of carbs per snack
    Drink 10 8oz glasses of water
    60 mins of cardio 5 times a week
    3 days of stregnth training per week
    She she do not eat back your MFP exercise calories

She said that following this I should loose about 5 pounds a month minimum. We shall see if it woeks. Again I'm here for support feel free to friend me! I wish everyone the best of luck
  • swoods516
    swoods516 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am keeping track of everything I eat on MFP. I am currently eating between 1200 and 1500 calories. If you eat low Cal food it means you can eat a lot more food calorie wise but with the gastric bypass we can't eat that much! I am getting all my protein in. Eating fruits and veggies. And losing weight. Usually on the weekend I will have something sweet but still stay around the same calories maybe over a little. I am still playing with the numbers to figure it all out. I regained my weight from eating way to many carbs so I am trying by best to stay away from them. Its really hard some days! I am interested to know how others are trying to adjust. Looking for support too.
  • katiegregoire
    Options
    I have just joined MFP today and logged my breakfast. I had Gastric Bypass in 2006 and have gained back 20 pounds since my smallest. The surgery is a tool not a magic pill. I am disappointed in myself because I was SO very healthy and comfortable in my own skin 20 pounds ago. I have 2 small boys and a full time job. I find countless excuses of why I can’t exercise or plain a healthy menu for myself. Also because of my bad food choices I have a LOT of belly weight...Carbs are the devil !! I am thankful that there is a group of people here that are in the same bought as me. I need all the help and support I can get. If anyone friends me is there a way to talk privately?
  • RNWall
    RNWall Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass back in 2009. I lost 110 pounds total. In 2011 I lost my mother and broke up with my long time boyfriend and gained back 50 pounds. I am trying to get back on track and have started actually working out which was something I didn't do after my surgery.