Insanity advice?

Options
I started Insanity on Sunday, and I'm on Day 4 today. I've been having lower back spasms though, which might've been because my form was slipping a bit the past 2 days. I'm also getting over what I think was an SI joint injury though, because when I first hurt my back I was having muscle spasms too. It's Cardio Recovery day though, so should I just workout anyway and take it easy and make sure my form's solid, or should I take a rest day?

Replies

• filming_ghosts
    Options
    bump!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Really an individual choice. I would push thru. ...but I've been known to injure myself. I say push thru but be prepared to stop at the second sign of trouble
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Agree with Dav. The recovery days are pretty easy anyways. You shouldn't have much trouble. But take a day if you find it's too much.
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Listen to your boday and rest... when you do workout don't try to go at their pace go at your own. I did Insanity & P90X and did what I'm telling you to day and it worked.
  • turboturtlepower
    Options
    You're on recovery. I wouldn't say it's low impact, but mostly stretching is being done, and the burn isn't big at all on recovery days. I'd do the recovery dvd, and if you aren't feeling up to it tomorrow, take a day off, then go back. I personally push through the pain though.
  • jls341
    jls341 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This past summer I did Insanity and ended up having my back spasm so hard after the first month it went out and I had to see a chiro for weeks. He told me my hamstrings were super tight that they affected my back. Since then, I'm been making sure I stretch my hamstrings pretty much every day and I haven't any other problems.
  • chandjm
    Options
    I just finished Insanity 2 weeks ago and started another round this week. Cardio recovery is more like yoga. It should help your back. Hopefully. I have SI joint problems, problems with my hip alignment and pelvis mostly due to work. My back has gotten better because of the workout. So push through if you can. Take some advil, put some heat on your back and see what happens.
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You know your body so listen to what it says but for what it's worth, I had a similar situation (kind of). I am in month two of Insanity and I did something this past Friday while working out that made my upper back hurt after the workout. I immediately started alternating ice and heat and taking Advil. I almost didn't work out Saturday or Monday but decided to anyway. I actually felt better when I was working out. I'm guessing it was because my muscles were warm and stretched. I would say go for it but make sure you are using the proper form and if you experience a lot of pain doing a certain move, then don't do that move. Maybe just jog in place with arms straight out or do something else that doesn't hurt. I actually feel completely better today. Good luck!
  • filming_ghosts
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) It's already pretty late here, so I'll just pick up with Day 5 in the morning and apply heat/take ibuprofen in the meantime.