Can you really have too much fiber? Protein?

Options
Hi everyone! I have been loving myfitnesspal for 2.5 weeks. I'm a former WW user and I "relapsed" and it was time to go back, but I didn't like how the whole program was changed so I am trying this and I love it so far!

Curious - on WW they were always trying to get us to eat more fiber and I do that when I can. I just changed my settings to show fiber and almost every day I go over my fiber "goal." I also frequently go over my protein goal and my fat goal, although I am staying under my calorie limit almost every day. I understand this will vary and I guess I better watch the fat, but is there any problem with eating "too much" protein? How about fiber? I thought fiber was supposed to be a good thing. When on WW I got into the habit of eating Fiber 1 cereal as a snack to fill myself up, which is 14g for 1/2 cup, so I know where I am getting all the "extra" fiber in my diet, but wonder if anyone has anything to say about the goals for the different settings in this way.

Replies

• Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I personally dont think you can go over on protein. MFP recommendation is pretty low. I typically get at least 100gm/day.
  • mamiejay
    mamiejay Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I didn't think so either. I guess if you have certain dietary conditions you might want to watch those things, but I am kind of curious how MFP comes up with the totals. I believe they are considered a maximum for some things, but a minimum for others? I read on Web MD that women "need" 25 grams per day, but MFP goal is for 14, but what Web MD says you need for protein, 46 grams a day, is close to MFP goal of 45. I guess I just wish they showed the overages of "good" things in a different color - those red negative numbers should only be for the bad stuff in my opinion, too many calories, carbs, fat, or sodium.
    Maybe I'll suggest that they go for another color - blue or something - on the stuff that's not bad for you!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Calories are King.

I reset my macros.....to 45%fat/ 30%carbs/ 25%protein.

Do what works for you. The protein is set at 15% by default here. That and the fat should be considered as a minimum goal to attain.
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people on MFP eat very large proportions of protein because they're either weight lifting and trying to build muscle, or because they're eating "paleo" or some such.

Whatever protein your body isn't using to create muscles gets pooped out, which can be kind of expensive depending on what kind of protein you're eating. For some people, too much protein can also be hard on the kidneys.

I personally don't think it's possible for me to eat 'too much' fiber. But lots of fiber can sometimes interfere with mineral absorption. Also, if you aren't used to eating as much fiber, you might have some GI distress (gas, bloating, constipation) until you get used to it.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I think the fiber setting on here is quite low. Personally, I need more than that. I want more than that. But there can be a 'too much' point. If you have significantly too much in one day, you're likely to give yourself a nasty case of diarrhea. But then, you won't repeat that mistake the next day.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    have you ever eaten more than one Fiber One product in a day? the Fiber One farts are beyond anything that should ever come out of a human body. so yes i'd say you can eat too much fiber.
  • ksyp92
    ksyp92 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    my stomach has been bothering me all day from too much fiber. i eat anywhere from 150-200 grams of protein a day and if i go over that my stomach tends to hurt. just bloated and stuff thats the only side effect i have had from too much fiber and protein
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    The only issues with too much fiber or protein would be your poop XD Too runny with fiber; too... opposite of runny... with protein. But if you find a good balance, then don't worry about it
  • mscroutons
    Options
    I heard on a Jillian Michael's podcast, .68 g of protein per pound of body weight is best, all other times .55

As for fiber, I would think somewhere between 28 and 35.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My doctor once told me that "too much fiber" was not a thing. Of course, you need to work up slowly to a higher amount. If your tummy isn't used to it... bad things, man. Bad things.
  • mamiejay
    Options
    Ah, I was not aware you could reset your macros. Still unfamiliar with some of this. But why would the fat be considered a minimum? That and the carbs I try to watch along with the calories when I'm logging stuff.
  • mamiejay
    Options
    Honestly the Fiber one has never given me any problems with gas or diarrhea, even when I have eaten a pretty large amount. Don't know why - maybe I have a tough constitution!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Just change your goals to higher numbers and consider them minimums for fiber and protein. It would be extremely difficult to get too much protein unless you have kidney disease, and you'll have digestive problems before consuming too much fiber. You can actually have too much fiber and it can mess with the absorption of other nutrients, but it's not something to worry about unless you are eating so much that it's causing digestive stress- probably in the 100+ g/day range. Unlikely for most people.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    have you ever eaten more than one Fiber One product in a day? the Fiber One farts are beyond anything that should ever come out of a human body. so yes i'd say you can eat too much fiber.

Mine dont smell
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options

Mine dont smell

I that was thats from! i have been trying to figure out what was making my butt leak for a while now
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Mine dont smell

I that was thats from! i have been trying to figure out what was making my butt leak for a while now

If you're having trouble with fiber one bars, the likely culprit is the TYPE of fiber they use, rather than the fiber itself. Fiber one bars are made with Chicory Root (a.k.a. inulin) which is known to cause gastric distress in lots of people.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I'd be more concerned about going over on fat and where your fat is coming from, if it's coming from nuts or vegetables I wouldn't be too worried since it's healthy fat, if it's coming from dairy it's saturated fat which isn't good for you. I don't think you can go over on protein, you just won't use what you take in but you could be lacking other nutrients. I assume they are only wanting you to hit 20-30g of fiber which is good. Yes you can eat too much, but I'm talking like 80g of fiber, it won't hurt you, you'll just have diarrhea.

I'd rec getting off fiber one and getting fiber from whole foods. Fiber one is for old constipated people
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Calories are King.

I reset my macros.....to 45%fat/ 30%carbs/ 25%protein.

Do what works for you. The protein is set at 15% by default here. That and the fat should be considered as a minimum goal to attain.

^^^This^^^ I get anywhere between 100-150g of protein a day. I know fiber is awesome for losing weight (I lost 75 lbs. on WW few years ago....and gained it right back when I stopped after I hit a plateau for a couple of months) So, I do try to keep both of these things high. Protein to keep me full, and fiber to help process the crap I DO eat. But in the end, calories are king. As long as there is a deficit, I'm good :D
  • ohhiitsme
    Options
    I heard that if you have too much protein, you will dehydrate much more quickly than you would normally.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I'd be more concerned about going over on fat and where your fat is coming from, if it's coming from nuts or vegetables I wouldn't be too worried since it's healthy fat, if it's coming from dairy it's saturated fat which isn't good for you. I don't think you can go over on protein, you just won't use what you take in but you could be lacking other nutrients. I assume they are only wanting you to hit 20-30g of fiber which is good. Yes you can eat too much, but I'm talking like 80g of fiber, it won't hurt you, you'll just have diarrhea.

I'd rec getting off fiber one and getting fiber from whole foods. Fiber one is for old constipated people

You might want to reconsider your stance on saturated and dairy fats.