Tea!

Options

Replies

• amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I drink mine black. have gotten more into teas a few months ago and been trying a few flavors - here in Canada we have President's Choice which has a large chain of products and their teas aren't bad at all. My favourite so far is chocolatey mint, tastes like an After Eight! Other good ones are peach mango or raspberry and peppermint,ginger and fennel tea. the last one's decaf but tastes quite nice and is a good one to have at night as it does have a sort of soothing effect
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Spend a little bit more and get the good stuff. Maybe try a tea store where you can sample different flavors? I have bought so many boxes of tea and while I consider myself to be crazy about the stuff many of them do not taste good and sit on my shelf for years.

For an everyday black tea that is affordable I like the tea room blend from Taylor's of Harrogate.
  • RSD73
    RSD73 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Peppermint tea is my favorite. It's pretty much the only tea I like without sugar. It helps fill up the tummy when it gets a bit growly mid-afternoon!
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    Keep in mind that if you're looking for the health benefits that are supposed to be found with tea, you will want to stick with actual tea. Herbal infusions (chamomile, peppermint, anything marked "herbal tea") and red tea are NOT made of actual tea. Only white, green, black, and oolong tea are tea. Check the ingredients before you buy.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Green tea after my workouts (gives you the same benefits of eating green veggies in fighting free radicals present after intense exercise and kicks my metabolism into gear for my post exercise snack), and Celestial Seasoning's Honey Vanilla Chamomile before bed, or if I have a sweet tooth! It is delicious.
  • countesscharleyangel
    Options
    Check out: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/best-teas-weight-loss-pt-1
    One of my MFP friends told me about this. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to. I'm going to try the Pu Erh, White tea, and Bilberry teas. I had to order the Pu Erh and Bilberry because there's no "natural foods" stores near my hometown.

I'm definitely a tea drinker, absolutely hate coffee (unless it has a ton of milk & sugar of course): My vice is English breakfast black tea with some soy milk and sweetner. YUM!
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Green teas and white teas are nice. It depends why you don't like tea - it's easy for it to become bitter.

People who are very particular about tea will tell you to only buy tea leaves, never bags. Apparently the bags can be made up of sweepings and dust from dried leaves, and don't taste as good. And how you make it really matters - make sure you use boiling water, and heat the teapot first. I hate it when I'm in a restaurant and they bring me a pot of hot water along with a tea bag - the tea needs to go in when it's boiling. I don't know why, but it makes a big difference to the taste.

Happy experimenting!
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am a huge tea drinker. Republic of Tea is a great place to start!
  • countesscharleyangel
    Options
    Green tea after my workouts (gives you the same benefits of eating green veggies in fighting free radicals present after intense exercise and kicks my metabolism into gear for my post exercise snack), and Celestial Seasoning's Honey Vanilla Chamomile before bed, or if I have a sweet tooth! It is delicious.

Yum, the Honey Vanilla Chamomile sounds good.
  • Evilsick
    Evilsick Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes! More and more tea!
    I really like Licorice tea, it's naturally sweetened and kinda gives you that taste in the back of your mouth of sugar, if you like sweets, I actually have to get more of that, it's by stash in like a periwinkle colored box, My newest one I'm finishing up right now is a Pomegranate Raspberry Green tea, I like green tea, just not the dry taste it leaves in my mouth, so I found something fruity for the winter.
  • countesscharleyangel
    Options
    Keep in mind that if you're looking for the health benefits that are supposed to be found with tea, you will want to stick with actual tea. Herbal infusions (chamomile, peppermint, anything marked "herbal tea") and red tea are NOT made of actual tea. Only white, green, black, and oolong tea are tea. Check the ingredients before you buy.
    Wow, I did not know this, thank:)
  • profr
    profr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good Earth tea -- caffeine free, sweet and spicy without an added sweeteners. Great after dinner or during the day when you've already had enough caffeine.
  • countesscharleyangel
    Options
    That's great my recommendations are STAH TEA AND TEA REPUBLIC ARE MY CHOICE THEY have great flavors I think u should try SLEEPY TIME TEA u will sleep like a baby try it
    I tried the SLEEPY TIME TEA, it really does work.
  • kgates121
    kgates121 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes! More and more tea!
    I really like Licorice tea, it's naturally sweetened and kinda gives you that taste in the back of your mouth of sugar, if you like sweets, I actually have to get more of that, it's by stash in like a periwinkle colored box, My newest one I'm finishing up right now is a Pomegranate Raspberry Green tea, I like green tea, just not the dry taste it leaves in my mouth, so I found something fruity for the winter.

I have not seen licorice tea. I will have to try it. Pomegranate Raspberry is very good, I like the Yogi teas as well. Yogi Bedtime tea is the best before bed.
  • amanda_catherine
    Options

Rooibos is a red tea, and it is a great tea, it has anti inflammatory purposes. I believe it is used for medical reasons and is really good for your health :) Peppermint is great for upset tummies and people who suffer irritable bowel syndrome and upset tummies use it to help out with that.
  • amanda_catherine
    Options
    might not "technically be a tea" but there is a butt load of great reasons to drink it :)
  • Femmekid
    Femmekid Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the tips & recommendations! Excited to go buy a tea kettle today and get started :) We actually have a tea parlor in town, so I might have to swing by there also!
  • JosefinTonks
    Options
    Green teas and white teas are nice. It depends why you don't like tea - it's easy for it to become bitter.

People who are very particular about tea will tell you to only buy tea leaves, never bags. Apparently the bags can be made up of sweepings and dust from dried leaves, and don't taste as good. And how you make it really matters - make sure you use boiling water, and heat the teapot first. I hate it when I'm in a restaurant and they bring me a pot of hot water along with a tea bag - the tea needs to go in when it's boiling. I don't know why, but it makes a big difference to the taste.

Happy experimenting!

I am quite sure that you are not supposed to put your tea in boiling water, as this can destroy the taste. Depending on which sort of tea it is, they are different brewing methods. Green and white teas should not be brewed in water over 85 degrees of celsius, while black teas can be brewed in 90-100 degrees without it causing the tea any damage. Also, a number of teas can lose their health benefits if they are exposed to too hot water.
    Conclusion: Boiling water destroys the taste and takes away some of the heatlh benefits.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I LOVE tea!
    I'm not a tea snob the way I can be a wine snob, but I really love tea so I wouldn't be surprised if I get super more into it in the future.

Green tea is the most revered by pretty much everyone for its various health benefits/ antioxidants. Not going to get into them, but I'm sure you heard of them. :) I try to have at least a cup every morning, but sometimes I feel like having a vanilla chai so I do. But organic green tea is always stocked & readily available.

At night I like to have some Sleepytime tea before bed. It's by Celestial Seasonings & it's the tea I've been drinking the longest (my mom used to give it to me when I was a kid & had trouble sleeping.) I also discovered Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride tea (also by Celestial Seasonings) over the holidays & it smells just like a sugar cookie! So good! But it's just out over the holidays so I stocked up on a couple boxes. It's a decaffeinated white tea.

Welcome to the tea world & have fun!
  • cmfruin2012
    cmfruin2012 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I drink sun tea by the gallon-full. One of the benefits of living in Florida. I wash out milk jugs, fill them with filtered water-- plop in my favorite tea bags and set in the sun for a few hours. I don't add any sweeteners. Just plain, fresh-brewed sun-tea. My current favorite of the moment is Stash's Lemon Ginger.