Eating for Fuel and Recovery

Options
I cannot stress enough the importance of preparing your body properly for your workouts and refueling your body adequately for recovery. The worst thing you can do is not eat prior to working out and not refuel afterwords. Your body is most ready to receive macronutrient intake at this time (within the first 30 minutes of completing your workout). Research clearly shows that the refueling of your body's glycogen stores is two to three times more rapid immediately after exercise as opposed to a few hours later.

So, eat at least an hour before working out and be sure to bring your protein drink with you to the gym.

Pre-Exercise Eating

Important to restore depleted carbohydrate stores from your night's sleep as a result of your body's energy demands. So replacing these used up calories is essential for your immediate athletic performance.
Replenish fluids with about 10-20 ounces of water first thing upon waking up
Eat 200-300 calories per hour prior to exercise (take in mostly carbohydrates as this is the most efficient way to refuel your body's glycogen stores but the combinations of carbohydrates and protein is beneficial because it lowers the glycemic index of the the carbohydrate ingested), the ratio should be 3 or 4 parts carbohydrates to 1 part protein
Food choices: Fruit w/ eggs (fruit low in fiber like any kind of melon, peaches, cantaloupe or bananas), unsweetened applesauce with with 2 to 3 tablespoons of protein powder, liquid meal (low fiber fruit listed above and 2 to 3 tablespoons of protein powder

Post Workout Recovery Shake

After your exercise session has concluded your goal is to bring your body back to it's pre exercise level of hydration, glycogen storage and muscle protein status ASAP
The first 30 minutes after exercise is the best time for your body to receive and absorb carbohydrates. Your glycogen stores are depleted and can most effectively be restored by consuming carbohydrates that are high on the glycemic load scale for speedy restoration and lower on the scale to moderate the gradual release of carbohydrates in the blood
Protein contains amino acids and are a necessary component in the recovery stage for rebuilding muscle tissue because protein structures are broken down within the muscle cells to create glycogen.
Liquid form is the best form for lightening fast absorption into the body
Rehydrate: drink to quench thirst and consume 10 ounces for every pound lost during exercise
3 parts carbohydrates to 1 part protein

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I workout at 5am for about 50 minutes, nothing but water in my belly and do just fine. I eat soon afterwards, but there's no way I'm getting up at 4am just so I can eat an hour before I workout. :tongue: Been doing this for well over a year with no issues.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I cannot stress enough the importance of preparing your body properly for your workouts and refueling your body adequately for recovery. The worst thing you can do is not eat prior to working out and not refuel afterwords. Your body is most ready to receive macronutrient intake at this time (within the first 30 minutes of completing your workout). Research clearly shows that the refueling of your body's glycogen stores is two to three times more rapid immediately after exercise as opposed to a few hours later.

So, eat at least an hour before working out and be sure to bring your protein drink with you to the gym.

Pre-Exercise Eating

Important to restore depleted carbohydrate stores from your night's sleep as a result of your body's energy demands. So replacing these used up calories is essential for your immediate athletic performance.
    Replenish fluids with about 10-20 ounces of water first thing upon waking up
    Eat 200-300 calories per hour prior to exercise (take in mostly carbohydrates as this is the most efficient way to refuel your body's glycogen stores but the combinations of carbohydrates and protein is beneficial because it lowers the glycemic index of the the carbohydrate ingested), the ratio should be 3 or 4 parts carbohydrates to 1 part protein
    Food choices: Fruit w/ eggs (fruit low in fiber like any kind of melon, peaches, cantaloupe or bananas), unsweetened applesauce with with 2 to 3 tablespoons of protein powder, liquid meal (low fiber fruit listed above and 2 to 3 tablespoons of protein powder

Post Workout Recovery Shake

After your exercise session has concluded your goal is to bring your body back to it's pre exercise level of hydration, glycogen storage and muscle protein status ASAP
    The first 30 minutes after exercise is the best time for your body to receive and absorb carbohydrates. Your glycogen stores are depleted and can most effectively be restored by consuming carbohydrates that are high on the glycemic load scale for speedy restoration and lower on the scale to moderate the gradual release of carbohydrates in the blood
    Protein contains amino acids and are a necessary component in the recovery stage for rebuilding muscle tissue because protein structures are broken down within the muscle cells to create glycogen.
    Liquid form is the best form for lightening fast absorption into the body
    Rehydrate: drink to quench thirst and consume 10 ounces for every pound lost during exercise
    3 parts carbohydrates to 1 part protein

Yes, because every human body works the exact same, and no one gets nausea (or blows chunks) if they eat beforehand, or directly after, right?
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I always work out on an empty stomach. Does this mean I will turn into a pumpkin at midnight?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I always work out on an empty stomach. Does this mean I will turn into a pumpkin at midnight?

I think it means that you will catch AIDS from overtraining without adequate nutrition. Am I close, OP?
  • peemer123
    Options
    That's great. It's personal preference but if performance and enhancing your performance is important....it's worth trying. Best of luck!
  • peemer123
    Options
    In my experience as a professional I find that without adequate fuel beforehand, individuals tend to burn out fast and often times get sick...
  • peemer123
    Options
    Doubtful but as stated prior, if performance is a concern then proper eating at least an hour beforehand can and will yield better results in the gym or during your workout.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I believe your advice is badly out of date.
    No difference is found in performance between those training fasted or not, no magic refueling window exists post workout.

Your nutrition over a 24 hour period is far more important than what you do immediately before or after a workout.
    Only exception would be for endurance events where carb loading would be required (Tour de France as an extreme example).
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I believe your advice is badly out of date.
    No difference is found in performance between those training fasted or not, no magic refueling window exists post workout.

Your nutrition over a 24 hour period is far more important than what you do immediately before or after a workout.
    Only exception would be for endurance events where carb loading would be required (Tour de France as an extreme example).

I agree. Unless you are an elite athlete with more than one intense workout per day, meal timing isn't a priority.

Out of curiosity, did you write this? Or is it from a website?
  • peemer123
    Options
    I disagree politely with everything you said, but thank you for the input. I used to train on an empty stomach also, but through education and trial and error I have yielded better results both in performance and physique by prepping before my workouts and refueling promptly afterwards. My clients do much better during training sessions as well. I also train clients for events and don't advise carb loading whatsoever. My clients recover faster during intense bouts of training as a result of focusing their nutrition on lean protein sources, vegetables, fruits and nuts. The proof is in the pudding! Best of luck to you!
  • peemer123
    Options
    Meal timing may not be a priority for you but for me it is along with the clients I train.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I disagree politely with everything you said, but thank you for the input. I used to train on an empty stomach also, but through education and trial and error I have yielded better results both in performance and physique by prepping before my workouts and refueling promptly afterwards. My clients do much better during training sessions as well. I also train clients for events and don't advise carb loading whatsoever. My clients recover faster during intense bouts of training as a result of focusing their nutrition on lean protein sources, vegetables, fruits and nuts. The proof is in the pudding! Best of luck to you!

I am not saying train fasted. I can't do it either but some people do well. What I am saying is there is no magic window.
    You are now listing ofher factors that aid in their recovery and increased performance.

I have no problem with you doing with your clients what you feel is best, but I strongly disagree that the worst thing you can do is not fuel before and after.
  • veggieluver2
    veggieluver2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    OP--I agree with you.

Upon waking I have a cup of warm eater with 1-2 tlbs raw apple cider vinegar and stevia. About 30 minutes prior to my work out I have 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce, 1 scoop protein powder, and 1/2 cup almond coconut milk all mixed up together and warmed in the microwave and a cup of coffee. This works for me . I know my work out is much better because of it. My blood sugar tends to drop quickly, so it's imperative I have something on my stomach. After my work out I have 3 egg whites, sometimes the yolk and broccoli. I may have a piece of fruit too.

I understand we are all different.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I always eat afterwards, not always immediately. I eat a banana before but I could definitely not work out on a full stomach, it makes me feel sick.
  • peemer123
    Options
    I like what you have going on......
  • peemer123
    Options
    Fueling up before a workout certainly draws mixed reviews....many many people workout on an empty stomach and like it.....I am not a fan and I have done it! There is a big difference in performance with proper fueling beforehand....all positive. However, fueling post recovery is essential and that is an ABSOLUTE FACT. Anyone in the fitness industry will agree. Again, best of luck to you and thank you for your input.
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Wow you sure got hit hard on the replies here!

I am working on my own plan, what works for me and I can tell you since bumping up my cals to 2000 a day, eating a homemade protein bar about 45mins before my workout and another immediately afterward OR having a shake that my workouts are more powerful, I have a TON of energy throughout the day and my recovery is faster and I also sleep so wonderful!

This is working for me at the moment (On week 4 of this)

I lift x3 a week and cardio x2. I plan on doing this for another 4 weeks and then remeasuring and checking body fat % to see the progress but I can already see it and better yet I feel it! :)

Thanks for your post!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Fueling up before a workout certainly draws mixed reviews....many many people workout on an empty stomach and like it.....I am not a fan and I have done it! There is a big difference in performance with proper fueling beforehand....all positive. However, fueling post recovery is essential and that is an ABSOLUTE FACT. Anyone in the fitness industry will agree. Again, best of luck to you and thank you for your input.

And I am not disputing the fact that post recovery is important. I am disputing the fact the it MUST be within 30 minutes or a short time frame.
  • mcrubino
    Options
    I usually work out at night before bed. It's generally about an hour and a half after I eat and I take my protein shake with me. I feel amazing during and after the workout. I will say though, when I wake up to work out in the morning I find it more difficult to fuel up first and prep my protein shake after. I'll give that a try tomorrow.