For those of you who ride a stationary bike...I need help.

Options
2»

Replies

• poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    MFP was telling me I was burning 700 calories elliptical, I bought a heart monitor , more like 400. I think the MFP estimates are high. What is the resistance? How hard are you working?
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Recumbent bikes are a big girl's best friend. This is TMI, but on a regular stationary (or REAL bike), the seat makes my hoo-ha fall asleep. Unfortunately, the recumbent bike makes my rear fall asleep, but it's still much more supportive and comfortable.

With that being said, OP....you need to consider your weight when calculating calories. Stationary bikes calculate a perfectly fit physique. The more you weigh, the more calories you are going to burn. A 45 min moderate workout was burning me 652 cals. I dropped 1.2 lbs. tonight and now that same workout burns me 649 cals. The more you lose, the harder you will have to work to burn the same amount of calories.

Everyone here can tell you what THEY are burning during a similar workout, but you are unique...just like everyone else! :)

So yes, you should feel proud that you are working so hard and burning up that fat! But, if you start to plateau, you might want to consider eating some of those "workout" calories. Unless you've not been journaling your daily food intake or chowing down on the wrong things, a plateau almost always mean you aren't eating enough calories. Be sure not to send your metabolism into the toliet by overworking/under eating. It's the biggest mistake we big girls like to make.

As far as the butt numbness, I imagine it'll go away the thinner we get. I'm also going to try a memory foam cushion to see if that helps.
  • rachelabdy
    rachelabdy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love my stationary bike but 700 seem way too high. To be honest - there are so many variables with it - like others have said: your weight, time, resistance, speed you pedal - so I always underestimate rather than overestimate.

I average 18-21 km per hour and for 30 min I expect to burn 300-350.

I do the same as others have suggested - put in to MFP that I did a "Light Effort" workout since what I did was between Light and Moderate (I think Moderate is over 20 km/pr and Light 17-20km /phr). Or if I pedalled for 40 min I might say I did 35 min to be sure I don't over estimate.

I had a terrible sore butt for ages :) but within 3 weeks it was much better - progress I guess!

FYI - I have the resistance set on 5.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have a "Total Pillow"....looks like a donut. I have plastic over it because it has a fiber cover and I lay a towel over that. Really made a difference.

But if you went to a medical store and bought one of those inflatable donuts, that should do the trick.

My bike has a calorie counter on it and its pretty accurate.

ETA: I should add that I have a recumbent stationary bike with a regular seat and back. If you have a bike with a regular bicycle style seat, my suggestion wouldn't help.
  • lotusspark
    Options
    The past 2 days I've done some major spinning..you could say my butt has been through hell. lol
    I use a large pillow to sit during the arguous time, sometimes 75m inutes straight..it helps
    to have someone help you rub the circulation back when done..lol Serious, I call it bikers-butt.
    Invest in the thickest pillow you can..you won't be sorry. =)
  • ct52577
    ct52577 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Everyone gave great advice. One thing you should check.is.if your bike.us calculating in miles or kilometers. I thought my bike was miles.until.my husband told,me it's kilometers not miles.
  • SlvrBluGoddess
    SlvrBluGoddess Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have a recumbent bike and even after using it for months my butt ends up not so much sore but numb after about 20-30 minutes. I might look into some of the tips others have mentioned here.

As far as the burned calories, I do think MFP estimates a bit on the high side. But I tend not to eat back all the exercise calories. So it all works out. One thing that I've done is check other online calorie counters to see what the average comes out to and then I will edit my entry. It's a bit of work sometimes... but it gives me a better view of what the actual calories might be.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I ride an old Schwinn Airdyne. It has a wider seat and hasn't given me any problems. Maybe your seat height is wrong. Adjust it and give it a try.
  • nikitittle
    Options
    I ride a stationary bike as well for about the same amount of time and yes, it hurts my rear ends as well. I have resorted to using a pillow to sit on while on the bike, it helps a bit more. Though I would look and see if the seat comes off, you could always go to walmart and buy a more comfortable seat if it does.