Pita pockets

Options
mictur
mictur Posts: 175 Member
Is it just me or does anyone else have difficulty stuffing a pita pocket. :huh: I planned on having shrimp stuffed into the pocket with spinach, onions, and tomato. First I couldn't open the pita, then I warmed it up so I could open it. Nope! So I just spread my hummus on the top and added my vegetables. When I got to work I placed the shrimp and tomato on top and made it a sandwich instead of a pocket. This happens to me every time I eat a pita. Is there an easier way to enjoy this grain? I do know not to stuff it too much, but every time I see pictures or go to a restaurant they are stuffed and I can't do it.:explode:

Replies

• shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    NO I have the same issue. What I do instead is put all the stuffing on top and just trap it like a taco. Most times I heat the wrap anyway, so its almost like a flat bread consistancy at that point or a pizza :)
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    yep, i usually have an issue with it too. i buy the half pitas and toast it for a minute and it seems to work a little better. This is probably why i don't buy them anymore! i just get the whole wheat tortillas from trader joes and stuffed it and fold it over.
  • LETIN1
    LETIN1 Posts: 38
    Options
    Cut the pita in half and then stuff each half.
  • hollyroode
    hollyroode Posts: 76
    Options
    what kind do you buy? I buy the high fibre Mr.Pita brand and never have trouble with them... and i definitely do find that warming them up helps
  • cmurphy04722
    cmurphy04722 Posts: 254
    Options
    It depends on what kind you buy. I've had to shop around to find good pitas. They shouldn't be terribly difficult to open and stuff after halving them.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yes! Every brand of Pita that I buy always tears at the seams when I fill them! I always warm them and don't over stuff!
  • crazyjkgirl
    crazyjkgirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I LOVE Joseph's Pitas though- only 60 calories and I usually just use it like a wrap/taco.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    i pop mine in the microwave for a few seconds... when you see the pita start to swell i take it out and use a sharp knife to cut it in half... you should then be able to take a butter knife to the edge of the half and pop it open ready to stuff with your filling
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    Some pita bread does not have pockets. LOL I discovered this the hard way....