Reccomendations for the Gym

Options
Hi All- first actual topic post so be nice, I'm new :tongue:

I have managed to get my eager little hands on a three day LAFitness pass, and plan to spend tomorrow indulging myself with a gym, swim and sauna session. Thing is, between kids and work I normally work out at home with my Jillian Michaels collection so it's been a while since I was even in a gym.

Anyone got any reccomendations? I plan to use the cross trainer (my favorite) and TRY to do a 30 minute run on the treadmill- that one is a personal challenge to myself. Is it worth me trying to use the weights machines? Or should I just stick to cardio and swimming?

Thanks!

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    It's always worth heading over to the weights!

There are usually trainers around who would be glad to show you around the weight room and help you out. That's what I would do since you are new to the gym. When you learn proper form for some key exercises, then you feel more confident about using the weights (which a lot of first timers, especially us ladies, tend to be timid about).

Weight training has been shown to be an important factor in weight loss, and if you have the opportunity to do it, don't pass it up! Your body will thank you because you will retain lean muscle as you lose the fat so when you are at your goal weight you will look better than had you just done cardio.
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    Do intervals on the treadmill rather than try to run for 30 mins. Walk for 90 secs, run for 60 secs and so on until you're tired/fed up with it. You'll be able to go harder for longer that way. Don't put yourself off on your first day!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Three days isn't much. I'd use it to have go at the things I can't do at home.
  • BlazingJaya
    BlazingJaya Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions guys! I'll definitely see if there's a trainer around to show me round the weights room. I must admit the thought of weights TERRIFIES me, but I am trying to build a leaner, more sculpted body so it's worth giving it a go :D

It is a one off- there's now way i can afford in time or money terms a gym membership, but I have my first afternoon in a year off work and child free, so i want to indulge myself in a healthy way!

Also- SAUNA :D
  • elle_272
    Options
    Maybe see if there is a class timetable? I love it when I get free passes to try out new gyms cos there's always lots of fun new classes to try out - whether it's traditional aerobics or step, zumba, boxercise, or kettlebells or spinning!! Variety is the spice of life as they say :-)
  • BlazingJaya
    BlazingJaya Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Maybe see if there is a class timetable? I love it when I get free passes to try out new gyms cos there's always lots of fun new classes to try out - whether it's traditional aerobics or step, zumba, boxercise, or kettlebells or spinning!! Variety is the spice of life as they say :-)

Great idea thanks! I'll check out the schedule now. I've always wanted to try Spinning :D