calories and fat?

Options
I went over my fat allowance today and I am wondering how many calories equals a gram of fat.

I have kind of a hard time staying in my fat allowance but I stay well under my calories most of the time. I know its just bad food choices but for me this is baby steps you know what I mean.

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    There are 9 calories in a gram of fat, 4 calories/gram in both protein and carbohydrate.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    There are 9 calories in a gram of fat, 4 calories/gram in both protein and carbohydrate.

I was going to post the exact same thing so I will just add: and there are 5 calories per gram of alcohol, even though it is a type of carb.
  • Always_lil_j
    Options

I was going to post the exact same thing so I will just add: and there are 5 calories per gram of alcohol, even though it is a type of carb.

I was going to say the same
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I will also add that I find the set allowance of fat on MFP to be too low for my tastes. I shoot for no more than 30% of my calories coming from fat because, well.... fat tastes good, dangit! I try to keep most of that 30% to unsaturated fat, however: nuts, olive oil, avocado, etc.
  • ZekeandKyliesMom
    ZekeandKyliesMom Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I will also add that I find the set allowance of fat on MFP to be too low for my tastes. I shoot for no more than 30% of my calories coming from fat because, well.... fat tastes good, dangit! I try to keep most of that 30% to unsaturated fat, however: nuts, olive oil, avocado, etc.

You have no idea how good that makes me feel! I have such a hard time staying below or on target with fat it rediculous. I mean we are talking about a country girl that if it wasn't fried it was drenched in butter. So this is all completely new to me.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

You have no idea how good that makes me feel! I have such a hard time staying below or on target with fat it rediculous. I mean we are talking about a country girl that if it wasn't fried it was drenched in butter. So this is all completely new to me.

You do want to focus on the "better" types of fat, as mentioned above. But there is nothing wrong with a 30% fat intake.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options

It's actually 7 calories per gram of alcohol
  • Alanna234
    Alanna234 Posts: 13
    Options
    i was having the exact same problem . like MFP only gives me 42 fat a day and 1400 , not i actually eat Really well .. but this still seemed so low it was difficult to make up the calories and not go over the fat lol.
    My question tho is bit random but seemed to fit in here with exercise. I am going out for a lovely slap up meal with friends on saturday. I am going to go to the gym in the afternoon so i have more calories to play with :) any advice on best type of exercise? Just cardio? I was planning to go to the gym for 2 hours x