Getting a little discouraged

Options
I too am a little bit discouraged. I have been exercising 4-5days a week for at least the past 6-7months. Doing mostly Zumba DVD, Jackie Warner DVD or a combination of different Biggest Loser DVDs. I alternate between them, hardly ever doing the same one two days in a row. I recently about 2wks ago added 3 pd dumb bells too. Diet wise, I came to the conclusion that I believe I wasn't eating enough. If that makes any sense. I was always hungry, only eating 3 meals and breakfast and lunch weren't much of anything. I started MFP on 2/1. I went for the "healthy" 1pd a week weight loss goal. My calorie intake prior to exercise is 1550 a day. Once I put in exercise of course it is almost always a minimum of 400 more. I hardly ever eat all of them. I end up leaving about 100-200 not eaten. I am eating more at breakfast and lunch with snacks in between breakfast and lunch and after lunch before dinner now too. I also have now been exercising a minimum of 5 days a week, sometimes 6. I wasn't expecting my weight to go down my first full week of MFP because I am eating more than I was and my body has to adjust to my new eating habits. However, my last measurements were a month ago and I had them done again and I lost NOTHING. Not one inch anywhere. I workout so hard. It is very intense. I do BL cardio max level 1 & 2 usually 3 times a week. I push myself so hard. I'm ready to get out of a squat or put my arms down but I won't allow myself. I push through the burn. Then with no inches off, I feel like, "why am I pushing myself so hard, for NOTHING?" Sure, I'm doing my body some good, but it's just very frustrating when it seems like my body is refusing to give up anything. Weight or inches. I'm telling myself not to give up my body will have to give in sooner or later. But I see myself already debating if I want to get up to exercise. Instead of excited to push myself and get it done. I don't want to give up. I want to be a healthier, happier version of myself. A good role model for my children.

Replies

• Rocksiren
    Rocksiren Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Im not an expert, but I do know thaif you arent eating enough then youre body is going to hold onto anything extra it has. Also, there may be a lot of muscle gain. I cant see putting that much effort into everything and not have something be different. Now forgetting the scales and tape, how do you feel you look when you look into the mirror? Are your clothes fitting differently?
  • fitgirl4x48
    fitgirl4x48 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I read this article that said that if you continue the workouts, and upgrading the level of intensity that the scale will eventually agree with you. Don't look to that to define you, look instead to how things fit, the feel of your muscles, the level of your energy and happiness in life. If you decide to quit that's fine -- you will go back to the way things were. Is that what you really want? Or do you just want success? Success is only had when consistent effort is put in....the scale will take it's sweet time to reflect the new muscle mass, or the change of fat....have patience :)
  • Lanette67
    Options
    My husband and I saw the best results when we were doing P90X...I've never had results like that, unfortunately we didn't stick with the maintenance and need to start over. I have noticed when I'm eating healthy fats, like olive oil, nuts, avocado that while my scale doesn't budge my clothing fits differently. For the last 2 months I've been eating "clean", no processed foods, no sugar, no diet pop, only fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, good fats, etc and I feel better at 45 than I did at 25. I know it's discouraging to work hard and not see results but stick with it, maybe try the P90X and look at what you're eating, not just the calorie count. Be sure to get good fats and try to eliminate processed foods, especially diet pop...
    Be blessed!
  • jlcarcajc4
    jlcarcajc4 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your encouragement. I do feel like some of my clothes fit loose. I have coworkers and family that tell me often that I'm looking great. My husband just recently told me he could see some definition in my arms. :) I just can't imagine how that is possible if no inches or weight is coming off. But I guess that is what makes our bodies so tricky. I have changed my eating habits quite a bit from the way I use to eat. I use to drink diet sodas(1-2 a day), and love 100 calorie snacks (yogurt/chocolate covered pretzels, oreo bites, mini brownies). I have given all that up. I do not eat those things anymore. Instead I snack on an apple or cheese stick or greek yogurt. I have added whole grain to my diet. As far as rice, pasta, bread goes. I've started adding more vegetables in my diet. Never really got enough of those in there. I know this doesn't happen overnight. I am a pretty patient person, just needed some encouragement and reassurance I am doing this right. I hear so many people say, "that's too many calories" or "maybe you should just stop exercising for a little while". So many do's and don't's. Hard to know if your doing it right sometimes. :) Thanks again!!!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    It might not look like it makes a difference on the scale or in the mirror, but you are living healthier and it will pay off. Just keep plugging away and makes some of the small adjustments mentioned above. The best advice I can say or echo is to stick with it and be consistent.

Come here to keep motivated and talk to others for suggestions.
  • Rocksiren
    Options
    And make sure you have some treats once in a while. While I have never gotten back up to my high school weight (not obese, but bigger than I shouldve been) I have admitted that I LOVE food. I love sweets. I love chocolate. As long as I dont overindulge but dont deny myself, Im pretty happy. Also consider just easing up on yourself- you seem very intense about it. And if people think youre really getting in tone etc maybe youre the weight youre supposed to be. Youre just toning up.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your BF% by any chance? 90% of the people in MFP use the wrong thing to track progress. The scale is by far the worst of them. Yet people aim at losing X lbs. as if there is a magic formula that says that if you lose X weight, you will look better!!!
  • MountainMoverJosh
    Options
    I do not quite look at the pants getting looser. But when my hands are not fitting into my pockets as well, I know it is time to get back on the stairclimber again.

Sometimes, your body needs change. Change your diet up, and do something it is not used to, even if it does not taste as good. Your body will respond. Also, make sure you give yourself enough rest time from those intense workouts.

I sure hope you get where you are going. I have to go workout now. have a great day!
  • MountainMoverJosh
    Options
    oh, and being an ex smoker, I am enjoying my ability to run a mile to catch a bus that is that distance, and leaves the station in 10 minutes. I did that not too long ago, and I felt awesome for it! Ironically enough, it was the bus to go to the gym lol!

Everyone's body is different. Know this. But your body is uncomfortable with change. Change something in a drastic way. Maybe start taking in white meat proteins, so that your body has to use fat for energy (the theory behind the ketogenic diet). But you will get there. It is a marathon, not a sprint (no pun intended).
  • shorner
    shorner Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Possibly need to drink more fluids - you don't say how many glasses of water/fluids you are taking in but I'v always understood that if you don't take in enough fluids the odd can't process the fat burning as effectively
    Also, muscle is heavier than fat - and you seem to be doing a lot of muscle building exercise hence the clothes fitting better but no change in weight.

Don't be discouraged - you're going in the right direction :-)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I hear you..and I feel you. I worked out all last week...ate right..and didn't lose anything. It is discouraging. you buy into calories in and out..and it still doesn't work. Then all the advice to do this and that. You just want the formula to work., and you're entitled to feel down about it.

I'm actually backing off the exercise...i'm only going to do it every other day or three days a week.....not five days in a row like last week and increasing my water intake. less is more. I say this..because last time i lost all my weight.. i idid it without exercising..and i lost consistently. It was a huge surprise..since i always exercised like crazy in my other weight loss attempts. I think the exercise makes the weight loss halt for me.
  • ptrisler
    Options
    I lost nearly 30 lb then the winter and Holidays hit I am back up 10 or more. Very discouraged. But Then its getting nicer out and I do not want to go buy bigger pants again ! So as of this week I am officially back to execising, walking mostly and using this site to watch my calories Have got my husband doing it to. So remember WE can do it and it Really Isn't as hard as we make it.....:flowerforyou:
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    My husband and I saw the best results when we were doing P90X...I've never had results like that, unfortunately we didn't stick with the maintenance and need to start over. I have noticed when I'm eating healthy fats, like olive oil, nuts, avocado that while my scale doesn't budge my clothing fits differently. For the last 2 months I've been eating "clean", no processed foods, no sugar, no diet pop, only fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, good fats, etc and I feel better at 45 than I did at 25. I know it's discouraging to work hard and not see results but stick with it, maybe try the P90X and look at what you're eating, not just the calorie count. Be sure to get good fats and try to eliminate processed foods, especially diet pop...
    Be blessed!

^^ I agree with this

Do you log your food in the diary?
  • Rocksiren
    Options
    LOL I seem to be the only one who thinks youre too hard on yourself. You know yourself better than anyone. Good luck!
  • jlcarcajc4
    jlcarcajc4 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am drinking 64oz of water a day. I do drink a cup of coffee w/sugar free creamer only in the morning and sometimes a cup in the evening to stay away from sweets. I don't have anything to measure my BF%. I do my food diary. Like I say, most days I'm unable to eat my "exercise" calories. All of them anyway. I usually have 100-200 left that I can't eat. I weight 202 5'6, I'm supposed to be 140 pds roughly but my goal at the moment is under 200 and then eventually be satisfied with 160. I don't think I'm where I need to be. I am considered obese. I'm not giving it up, this is a process. I just have to know that this WILL work, in time. I appreciate all of your encouraging words. It really does help! Thank you!
  • mgarcia843
    Options
    Why not pick up another activity that you can do aside from your workout that'll help you have a good time and maybe get you over the hump? The last time I really got into weight loss I signed up for an MMA intro course and still did my workouts, and noticed that I was losing weight more quickly while not really working or stressing much more because to me it was fun.

I'm actually going to do the same thing this time around, hopefully with the same results, but regardless don't get down, you've made great progress and you'll break your plateau
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, don't give up, don't give up, don't give up, don't give up, don't give up.

You've already passed the hardest part, recognizing you need to change and taking the steps to do so.

I know it seems like you've been working at this for a long time, but it the grand scheme it's been a very short time. You need to figure out what is going to work for you. Keep researching then adjust, wait, analyze, repeat, repeat again. Re-evaluate your daily calories (don't just use MFP to calculate it, use other sites too), try to verify your calories burned (maybe an HRM) and measure/weigh your food as necessary. This will help you keep everything in perspective.

Here are some things I've found helpful:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Whatever you do, do not give up! It will be worth it in the end, I promise.
  • Rocksiren
    Options
    I think you should ease up on yourself and do some FUN activities. Ill admit it- I really dislike exercising and dieting. LOL. If I didnt live in a frozen wasteland right now, Id find a buddy to go hiking with. I always thought that kind of stuff was fun.