Does Zumba work?

Options
I love Zumba and could happily spend an hour or so everyday doing it, and whilst it's great fun I was just wondering if it helps lose weight and/or tones?
Progress photos, tips, advice or anything like that are welcome! :D

Replies

• trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    its modern dance-aerobics. SO it's a good cardio workout but some strength/resistance/weights would be a good idea too.

(my opinion and experience only x)
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Nearly 200 pounds later, I'd say it works. You really do have to push yourself with it, though. I noticed the people that just fumble around and do as little as they can don't really stay on the class long.

It's pretty much the only exercise I have stuck with for any length of time because it is such a ridiculous amount of fun.
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    yes, and it is so much fun! you learn new things, ( brain work out) its divine!
  • kaybelieve
    Options
    its modern dance-aerobics. SO it's a good cardio workout but some strength/resistance/weights would be a good idea too.

(my opinion and experience only x)

thank you for the tip :D x
    Nearly 200 pounds later, I'd say it works. You really do have to push yourself with it, though. I noticed the people that just fumble around and do as little as they can don't really stay on the class long.

It's pretty much the only exercise I have stuck with for any length of time because it is such a ridiculous amount of fun.

Well done on the weight loss! And thank you for the reply, i'll definitely do it and keep with it! :D
  • kaybelieve
    Options
    yes, and it is so much fun! you learn new things, ( brain work out) its divine!

thank you :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    YES. It DOES work. I'm the proof it does. 7months it took me to lose all my weight & I totally thank Zumba for it.... I started with Zumba & if it was not for that I would never have gone on. I run as well but most of the hard work was Zumba

BTW...I did mine with 3kg hand weights & 2kg ankle weights all the time. I only ever did it at home with the DVDs though.
  • kaybelieve
    Options
    YES. It DOES work. I'm the proof it does. 7months it took me to lose all my weight & I totally thank Zumba for it.... I started with Zumba & if it was not for that I would never have gone on. I run as well but most of the hard work was Zumba

BTW...I did mine with 3kg hand weights & 2kg ankle weights all the time. I only ever did it at home with the DVDs though.

Ooh, did the weights help you tone up? I could try it with weights, although not ankle weights as I don't have any.
    Thank you! :)
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    it wouldn't help you tone, but it's a great cardio exercise and a ton of fun, and will burns lots of calories. i do find though that my gym has various instructors, and they all have their own choreography, and in some of them, the work-out is far less intense than with other instructors. go to one that has you dripping with sweat afterwards!
  • FitBy30_2014
    FitBy30_2014 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It is an AWESOME cardio workout. I can burn anywhere from 600-800 calories in 1 hour depending on the intensity I choose to work out at! You will definitely see results, but I would recommend doing strength training also as muscle burns more fat!! I stick with Zumba because it doesn't even feel like working out because it is so much fun, but it also delivers great results! :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

Ooh, did the weights help you tone up? I could try it with weights, although not ankle weights as I don't have any.
    Thank you! :)

Only a little toning. I use them mainly to make the workout tougher, but I know it did help with toning slightly.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Zumba is a fine way to exercise. Exercise is one aspect. The other big aspect is diet. Solid nutrition and a moderate calorie deficit will get you were you want to go.
  • xxtaliaxx
    Options
    I love Zumba so much!!! But I'm in the same boat because although I have been going for a few weeks now, I do not see any results. I try my hardest and sweat a whole bunch every session but I still weigh the same(maybe it could be that I'm currently in a plateau?). I am going tomorrow morning and I'm so excited! It's my new crack! Although I never did actually crack before...

>.>

<.<
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba. I think I'll stick with my wii Zumba because then I get to choose the intensity. I've tried with three different real life instructors, only one of which was great. Of the others, one did really gentle Zumba :yawn: and the other made even the sexiest moves look robotic. The wii instructors have no such problems :laugh:

If dance is the vertical expression of a horizontal desire, as I read somewhere, then Zumba is one very passionate roll in the hay :wink: