Tips please, from those who've reached their goal weight!

Options
Firstly congratulations!

I joined MFP a year ago, and have exceeded my original weight loss target. I've revised my goals, and I'm now 6lb from achieving my new target weight.

Other than the obvious answer (patience!) I wondered if anyone had any tips to share about shedding the last few pounds, as according to what I read on the message boards they are notoriously stubborn! What was your experience?

Did you, as some suggest, reduce your projected weekly loss? Try varying your diet regime in any way? Change your exercise type or intensity?

Very interested in any thoughts to prepare me...

(I'm reposting this topic here, not sure what the right category is!)

Replies

• Nikkilynn32710
    Nikkilynn32710 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Im interested in knowing this as well. I have eaten at 1200 calories, I have eaten at the low end of my BMR, I have eaten at the high end of my BMR, I have eaten at maintenance with 500 cal deficit, I have netted no less than 1200 and I have tried zig zagging, Nothing is working for me. I have currently changed my weekly loss to 0.5lb loss and am gonna try to do that. Its been two years and I keep fluctuating from 138-142lbs.....my GW is 135 but my UGW is 130.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any trouble with the last 10 lbs. I increased my calories by changing the setting to .5 lbs per week, and that's all I did differently. Good luck and congrats on your progress so far. :)
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    My advice:
    Lift with heavy weight. The scale number is not important. I've gone down a dress size without losing a lb since November (September - end of December was primarily cardio) with lifting as my primary exercise since January.
  • runningbs
    runningbs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Honestly, switch the MFP ticker to maintain current weight and eat back your calories. I hit my goal weight , but decided to lost 2 more pounds.
  • sardesc
    sardesc Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This isn't really a tip, but I reached my goal weight and then started eating more (maintenance, plus eating back exercise calories). I kept losing inches, but not weight. Kind of annoying since I've already bought a new wardrobe and I'm a petite size 2 and I don't want to shop in the kids' section. Maybe try upping the calories and lift weights.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Im interested in knowing this as well. I have eaten at 1200 calories, I have eaten at the low end of my BMR, I have eaten at the high end of my BMR, I have eaten at maintenance with 500 cal deficit, I have netted no less than 1200 and I have tried zig zagging, Nothing is working for me. I have currently changed my weekly loss to 0.5lb loss and am gonna try to do that. Its been two years and I keep fluctuating from 138-142lbs.....my GW is 135 but my UGW is 130.

How long did you try each of those things? Are you weighing your food with a digital scale?

One thing about having a smaller deficit is that you have to be more accurate with your logging.
  • Cheryl188
    Cheryl188 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My advice:
    Lift with heavy weight. The scale number is not important. I've gone down a dress size without losing a lb since November (September - end of December was primarily cardio) with lifting as my primary exercise since January.

^^This!
  • wormstrup14
    Options
    The last few pounds were definitely the hardest for me! It took me longer to lose the last 8 than it did to lose the first 60. What finally worked for me was increasing my calories. i was still trying to eat at 1200, plus all exercise calories (which I had been doing since the beginning) but I was starving all of the time. When I finally upped it to 1320 per day, plus exercise calories I finally started seeing small losses again.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    My advice:

Good for you!

Just at the moment I'm working with the scale number, using calorie counting, healthy eating, and exercise. It's each to their own on this one, but I've decided to get to my goal... once there, though, as well as shifting to maintenance eating I do intend to try heavy lifting, some of the stories on here are very inspiring!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestion to do strength work (lifting or otherwise). I thought I wanted to lose a little more weight but after doing a good amount of strength work, I dropped some inches and I'm totally happy where I'm at. I don't know how to lift heavy and don't have anyone I can trust to teach me so I do bodyweight and free weight exercises. Bodyweight is my favorite because it's really easy to scale it to your level and I can't see myself ever running out of ways to make them more difficult as I progress. Nerd Fitness has some free workouts on the website and You Are Your Own Gym is a great book as well. If you're doing compound exercises, you'll only have to do a couple to get a great full body workout.

Edited to add: I've gotten more "have you lost weight?" and "you look great/slender" comments since starting strength work than I did previously even though I've lost no weight since then.
  • Nikkilynn32710
    Options

How long did you try each of those things? Are you weighing your food with a digital scale?

One thing about having a smaller deficit is that you have to be more accurate with your logging.

I tried each for four weeks and the scale just kept going up with each a few ounces here then it was a pound there and eventually I freaked and dropped them low again. When I ate at 1500 I maintained for 3 months because i was eating that while doing Insanity and I lost nothing with the program. I have a weight watchers digital scale that I use for grams and ounces with my meats and then I use measuring cups for stuff like that. Just last night I changed my goal to 0.5lb loss per week and I'm gonna attempt to eat that
  • Nikkilynn32710
    Options
    I didn't have any trouble with the last 10 lbs. I increased my calories by changing the setting to .5 lbs per week, and that's all I did differently. Good luck and congrats on your progress so far. :)

Did you eat back exercise calories or just what the .5 was daily?
  • Nikkilynn32710
    Options
    What if you don't have a gym membership to use the weights to lift heavy nor the space or money to afford heavy weights at home. All I have are dumbbells that goes up to like 20lbs a piece..
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    My advice:

Good for you!

Just at the moment I'm working with the scale number, using calorie counting, healthy eating, and exercise. It's each to their own on this one, but I've decided to get to my goal... once there, though, as well as shifting to maintenance eating I do intend to try heavy lifting, some of the stories on here are very inspiring!

Super; to each their own. You asked for advice and recommendations, and I gave you mine. I interpret your response as a.."thanks, but no".

No harm no foul. Though, your profile says: "I'm near the point where I want to change from targetting weight loss to maintenance and building strength, and measure inches and bodyfat% with as much interest as I currently take in the scale."

Why not do that now? If you're still eating at a deficit and strength training, you will lose weight and bf%, preserve LBM, and look much better than with cardio alone.

I'm not looking to argue, so I apologize for my curt dialogue. But strength training NOW is key to get you where you want to be.
  • SuffolkSally
    Options

How long did you do that for to lose that last 10lb?
  • SuffolkSally
    Options

I tried each for four weeks and the scale just kept going up with each a few ounces here then it was a pound there and eventually I freaked and dropped them low again. When I ate at 1500 I maintained for 3 months because i was eating that while doing Insanity and I lost nothing with the program. I have a weight watchers digital scale that I use for grams and ounces with my meats and then I use measuring cups for stuff like that. Just last night I changed my goal to 0.5lb loss per week and I'm gonna attempt to eat that

God, how frustrating! Applause from this corner for sheer stamina!
  • CoCoRedRider
    CoCoRedRider Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My advice:

Good for you!

Super; to each their own. You asked for advice and recommendations, and I gave you mine. I interpret your response as a.."thanks, but no".

No harm no foul. Though, your profile says: "I'm near the point where I want to change from targetting weight loss to maintenance and building strength, and measure inches and bodyfat% with as much interest as I currently take in the scale."

Why not do that now? If you're still eating at a deficit and strength training, you will lose weight and bf%, preserve LBM, and look much better than with cardio alone.

I'm not looking to argue, so I apologize for my curt dialogue. But strength training NOW is key to get you where you want to be.

This! Strength train and don't put complete blind faith into MFP calorie goals - particularly if you don't have much to lose.

I started out using MFP numbers set for losing 1 lb per week, sedentary, which gave me around 1460, and I ate most of my exercise calories. I lost way too fast - about 17 pounds in 2 months. I also kept getting colds - seriously I think I had four different colds in two months. And then I plateaued. So I changed to half a pound per week and lightly active (1770 cal) in the third month, and lost a couple more.Then I changed to maintenance for the holidays (2010 cal) and came back from vacation to my goal weight.

Now I'm still at maintenance calories but upped my activity setting again to "active" (2150 cal :bigsmile: ), still eat back my exercise calories, and have gotten more serious/diligent with my heavy lifting. (Yesterday I burned about 900 calories, it was the day after my strength day, I ate every bit of those 3000 calories, and was still ravenous this morning.) I'm the same weight but clearly tightening up and getting smaller.

I really wish I would have started out eating more calories and lifting heavy. If I had, I'm confident I would be rocking my goal body right now instead of my goal weight.

Oh - I'm 6'0" and weigh 153 - 155, 38 years old.
  • CoCoRedRider
    CoCoRedRider Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    What if you don't have a gym membership to use the weights to lift heavy nor the space or money to afford heavy weights at home. All I have are dumbbells that goes up to like 20lbs a piece..

Get a gym membership. Look for places that offer subsidized rates for lower incomes, such as YMCA or city parks and recreation facilities. Or at least start with what you've got - body weight and 20 lb dumbbells - until you can make a gym membership a priority in your budget.
  • SuffolkSally
    Options
    My advice:

Good for you!

It was intended to be quite a specific question about reaching target weight....

I do intend to try heavy lifting, from when I reach my goal weight - the reasons for that are based on quite a lot of reading for one thing, and my individual circumstances for another. There are pros and cons for different theoretical approaches of course, but they're probably a different topic. In my particular case my exercise is under medical advice because of auto-immune issues. I don't, in fact, do "cardio alone", I also do strength training in the form of body resistance and weight work and monitor my bodyfat percentage.

Having said all that it would be very interesting to hear from anyone who's reached their goal weight (as opposed to other success measures) by switching to lifting heavy in the last stage.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    My advice:

This

and the road map thread (search for "in place of a road map" - sorry I don't have the link)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!