ASK ME ANYTHING ABOUT WEIGHT LOSS!!! GREATEST THREAD EVER!!

Options

Replies

• lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    bump for later.. good thread
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    OP you are so hilarious, love the responses :P I'm bumping this just for a good laugh when reading "throw it in the river. Watch it sink to the bottom and rot".

edit: from the f***load of reading I have been doing recently, lots of the stuff he is saying is VERY good... it's stuff that we should all know and be taught at school. Be logical people!
  • Marie_25
    Marie_25 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    We should all 'watch' this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POdzasJklxw

And do this:
    This is brilliant, I like tips that make me laugh because as far as I'm concerned laughing is a high impact exercise! I think I may even start a class where we can all just sit and lagh at each other, probably wont lose much weight but we will feel awesome! Keep up the good work!

Laughter, good for the soul!! :0))

Thanks for the interesting thread, and having a sense of humour! :o))
  • MsipiGRITS
    MsipiGRITS Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Just a little tip from some PhDs regarding our love/hate relationship with our scales. If you are addicted to your scale and are compelled to weigh daily, a good rule of thumb is to average all of those daily weights and use that as your weekly 'true' weight, as the OP is correct, your weight WILL fluctuate daily due to many factors. Then, you can average your weekly 'true' weights and see what your monthly weight is.... This is a more accurate picture of where you are over time... It also takes some of the stress out of the fluctuations you might see daily so you don't obsess over it.... Just MHO, so always check it out for yourself! :o)
  • zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jewelsrn55
    Options
    Arrogant!
  • Louttie
    Louttie Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Arrogant!

shhhh...
  • mumx5
    mumx5 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • borom44
    borom44 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Get a grip!!

Personally I think the post has been fun and with some useful advice, anybody looking for the miracle answer in a bunch of posts from a free fitness site needs to take stock and have a word with them selves.

Take advice for what it is, well meant conveyance of someone’s experiences, most of its well know to all of us. Simple’s really eat less calories and do more exercise, it is not rocket science, there are no easy fixes, no miracle cures and you definitely would find the meaning of life, the universe and everything on a fitness forum.

A sense of humour is a wonderful thing, lighten up and take things with a pinch of salt. Or not depending on your micros’ doctors advice or what ever 
  • UpandRunning2013
    UpandRunning2013 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Louttie
    Louttie Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Get a grip!!

Personally I think the post has been fun and with some useful advice, anybody looking for the miracle answer in a bunch of posts from a free fitness site needs to take stock and have a word with them selves.

Take advice for what it is, well meant conveyance of someone’s experiences, most of its well know to all of us. Simple’s really eat less calories and do more exercise, it is not rocket science, there are no easy fixes, no miracle cures and you definitely would find the meaning of life, the universe and everything on a fitness forum.

A sense of humour is a wonderful thing, lighten up and take things with a pinch of salt. Or not depending on your micros’ doctors advice or what ever 

^^ This
  • Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Oh its not arrogant at all, its lighthearted and funny.
  • purpleroxmysocks
    purpleroxmysocks Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Why can't I lose any more weight? I have lost 80 pounds already and am 20 pounds away from my goal, which I really want to meet! I work out 5 days out of the week, I try and change it up, I run, play tennis, walk do some strength training. I try not to eat very junky and I usually eat around 1500 calories a day, why is my body punishing me ha no but seriously, why can't I drop any more weight?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    To set up your generic fat-loss diet calorie intake, all you need to is take your current body weight in LBS and multiply it by 10 or 12 calories. The number you see is your GUIDELINE maintenance calorie intake. It’s not perfect, like I said, we’re all different. IT’S A GUIDE. So in order to lose weight, at the end of every single day, you’re body needs to be at a caloric DEFICIT. This means you EAT UNDER THE AMOUNT of calories your body needs to maintain itself. SIMPLE. They say around 300-500 calories is recommended. If you do the math, stick to it and apply some exercise, you’ll lose weight.

No.

You use the 10 - 12 cals per 1 lb of total body weight to generate the rough amount of calories you should be eating for fat loss (in other words your calorie deficit level.) It factors in a reasonable amount of exercise so you wouldn't eat back exercise calories.

So, if I weigh 200 lbs I would eat somewhere between 2000 - 2,400 calories per day to start losing weight.

The way it works is this. 10 cals per 1lb of total body weight roughly equates to BMR for women, and 11 cals per 1lb of total body weight roughly equates to the BMR for men.

Therefore if you eat this amount your calorie deficit will be created by all the other elements which amount for the calorie out side of the energy balance equation: daily activity (NEAT/SPA) planned exercise (TEA) and energy cost of eating (TEF)

The higher end of the amount (12 cals per 1lbs of total body weight) does amount to maintenance calories for a completely sedentary person and would therefore be more useful as a calorie deficit starting point for someone who engages in quite a lot of exercise.)

I think it's a great way of getting a reasonable starting point but as said above you don't need to knock anything off it to start losing weight.

Sorry, but this only works if you are close to a healthy weight and BF%. A 5'3", 300 pound obese woman would NOT lose weight eating 3000 calories a day! Or even maintain on that amount.

Body composition plays a HUGE part in your BMR.

Sorry, there are no simple one-size-fits-all answers.

Unless the women in question had an underlying medical / metabolic condition not only could she maintain on 3,000 calories per day she could lose weight at that amount as well.

It's a sad testament to the poor shape of the information put out by the fitness industry that people have such a hard time believing this...
  • DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    bmp
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    good post. I am pretty sick of seeing all the posts from people also! gets annoying....
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Why can't I lose any more weight? I have lost 80 pounds already and am 20 pounds away from my goal, which I really want to meet! I work out 5 days out of the week, I try and change it up, I run, play tennis, walk do some strength training. I try not to eat very junky and I usually eat around 1500 calories a day, why is my body punishing me ha no but seriously, why can't I drop any more weight?

Maybe eat a little more on gym days so you don't have too large a calorie deficit and see how that goes. Some people respond well to High Intensity Interval training. I responded very well to applying a 'fast day' to my week.

Make sure you're checking measurements and not just weight. The scale can be a misleading piece of *kitten*, I mean a misleading piece of equipment....

When it comes to your weight training, lift HEAVY don't fanny about lifting light weights through an episode of 'Friends' - You need to strain yourself. try 6-8 reps. If you're not struggling by the 5-6 rep mark, you're lifting too light.

You don't eat VERY JUNKY?! Try eating ZERO JUNKY and see how you progress.
  • Gjallarhorn
    Options
    Is it safe to be losing over 4lbs every week? I'm currently 309, and dropped 17lbs in the last month.
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    I was enjoying this thread until, unfortunately I came across this improper use of "you're". That's when you lost all credibilty with me. It sounded so well thought out up to that point.

I'm sure at one point in your life, you have made a mistake in spelling. Per your own thinking, your very own existence is now null and void. Grow up. The whole Grammar Nazi thing is completely old.

GREAT thread. I find it wonderful when somebody goes out of their way to help others.
  • GypsyNrs4Evr
    GypsyNrs4Evr Posts: 49 Member
    Options

advice on weak abdominal wall?

tumblr_mdc6hbRk0T1rjsq7zo1_500.jpg

I did this and saw great results. As you progress increase the length of time and number of reps as you feel comfortable to keep your body guessing
    Quoting for later. :)Thanks

:heart: