412lbs and Trouble Losing Weight After 7 Months!? Uhg

Options
Arkhos
Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 412
Sex: Male

My Food Diary: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Arkhos
February 14, 2013 is a typical day. If I don't eat the SloppyJoe Custom I eat Chicken

Good news: I've lost 74 inches over my entire body, my Triglycerides dropped from 418 to 235, and my A1C dropped a whole point!

Bad news (or not so great): I've only lost 33 lbs over 7 months (I lost 14 lbs last month, then gained 8 lbs this week). :sad:

Looking for some opinions to maybe adjust my food to start dropping some serious weight. What is wrong with my metabolism, and What can I do to get this weight to drop? Can eating a small amount of carbs/fat really keep someone my size from losing weight?

I eat 3/4 medium Popcorn (no butter), and a bag of Welches Fruit Snacks + Coke Zero when I go to the movies on the weekend.

Prior to June 2012 I was 445+lbs (my guess is 460lbs at my max), spent all my time on the couch, no exercise, eating high calorie/high fat foods (about 4000-7000 calories /day: ie Fast Food burgers, fries, large soda, pizza etc.). I injured both my Achilles tendons, have Pulmonary Hypertension (pressure in chest and swollen legs with arterial sores), and became a Type 2 Diabetic. I spent 5 months on disability with depression/stress and pretty much had muscle atrophy from doing nothing.

Then I woke up.

At the end of June 2012 I started working with a personal trainer. I see her 3 days a week, 30 minutes cardio + 30 minutes weight lifting. I'm supposed to do 2 more days of 30 minute cardio, but my achilles tend to hurt too much.

My calories are now under 2200/day and are high in protein low in carbs. The problem is I weigh 412lbs now. Just dropping the amount of calories at my weight + exercising it seems like I should be dropping weight like crazy. Even if my calories were closer to 3000 I should be losing weight, right?

In the beginning I was trying different things to find a balance of food. I found that even though my calories would be at 1800, if I ate a McDonalds Dipped Ice Cream cone every day I wouldn't lose a single pound (I don't eat these anymore)!

The SloppyJoe Custom is a mix of 90% lean ground beef, manwich sloppy joe sauce, fat free cottage cheese, and a very small portion (0.33 ounces) of whole wheat pasta. I calculated the ingredients using entries from this site.

Last month I started using these in hopes maybe it would help boost my metabolism:
Svetol Green Coffee Bean Extract
Raspberry Ketones
Moringa

Replies

• iamlaprell
    iamlaprell Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor or nutritionist, however, if it were me, I would do the following (I do and have found success with these tips):

Add chia seeds to your diet to promote metabolism increase (1 tablespoon twice per day -not at night/dinner- added to your yogurts, cereal, salads, pretty much anything you eat) You can find recipes with chia seeds added on pinterest.com too.

Also, since you are working out, try adding creatin and protein shakes to your post workout routine. Remember too that you can get meal replacement protein and try to use that as a snack or after workout meal) Just add the creatin to the shake.

I have very stubborn belly fat and have found huge success in decreasing my belly size by adding pilates and plank workouts (if belly fat is a concern).

Drop all sodas from your diet. I do drink coffee with added sugar but will be working on losing the sugar soon as well. Also, if you are drinking diet or using artificial sweeteners, consider not doing so. I personally have found that anything with an artificial sweetener is horrible for me, it makes me sick, makes me gain rather than lose and quite frankly the taste is not appealing. I'd rather keep to real sugar and monitor my intake religously than think it's okay to drink diet soda because it is low in calories.

Find a cup that you like, it might take trial and error, but I drink from a 24 oz cup when I drink water and have found that on the days I drink my water in this cup, I drink 3 times more than other days. It might sound crazy but it works. I know several people say to drink more water (crazy as it sounds since I've added water and on the days I drink a gallon, I can feel the kick in my metabolism because I am WAY hungrier than days that I skimp on my water intake).

I'll be back with anything else I think of, but don't give up, you will lose it and you are already living a healthier lifestyle which is the real goal.
  • SaundraM2009
    SaundraM2009 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The only advice I will offer is please don't start using supplements to increase or decrease anything on your own. Speak to your doctor first and get reffered to a dietician/nutritionist. With your medical conditions you should have no problem getting insurance to cover it.

Best of luck.

^^This.
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above post.
    first of all, congratulations on your success so far, and kudos to you for changing your lifestyle and doing what you need to do to get heathly.

As for you weight loss, I'm no expert, but it sound like you are moving in the right direction, but with dormant fat, it might take a while for your body to release it!

You said you have a trainer, is she just a trainer, or is she a nurtrisionist also?
    If not, you might want to consider talking to a dietian, or your doctor about something that might help you on your journey!

Good luck to you :)
    keep it up!
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Where's the fruit & veg? You maybe need to look at the quality of your calories not just quantity.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    2200 calorie goal?

That's quite low for someone your size. Eating too little is just as counterproductive as eating too much. I'm 5 feet tall, 128 lbs, and I eat 2100 to maintain. Surely you're eating too little.
  • iamlaprell
    iamlaprell Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I guess I needed to spell out more clearly, when I say I'm not a doctor or nutritionist, I meant that you should consult one before making any of the changes I mentioned with the exception of cutting out sodas (after all, every doctor I've ever seen has told me to do that!).
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Where's the fruit & veg? You maybe need to look at the quality of your calories not just quantity.

agree!
  • futurestarz
    Options
    You should contact TheFinalThird on here. He started about your size in July, and has had great success. He would be a wonderful person to talk to.
  • crazycleo
    Options
    AGREED! Cut out aspartame, studies have shown that it can actually cause you to GAIN weight and so "diet" drinks are really doing the opposite of what they say they do. Are you drinking enough water? Keep your water intake high and your salt intake low! This means no processed foods, lots of fresh vegetables. Bring those when you go to the movies, there is no such thing as popcorn without butter at any movie theatre that I've ever been to.
  • Eabec
    Eabec Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I think you are making great changes in your life. If you continue on this track, and continue to make adjustments, it is easier over time than at once. Remember, it took years to gain the weight so will take time to come off. I suggest, as someone else did, adding fruits and veggies to all meals. This will allow you to eat more, and give you a nutritional boost. Also, your sodium is already higher than the recommended - and this is without any added salt in meal prep. Water weight is a pain. Lastly, drink lots of water throughout the day -- More than the recommended 8 - 8 ounce per day. Good luck and know that you are already doing great, and will a few adjustments, will contineu on that track!
  • Chrysy87
    Chrysy87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You really should add tonnes of fruit and veggies to your diet. That's the key to loosing weight. :D In my experience on MFP the people who post that they are not loosing weight despite hitting their calorie goal and exercising are also not eating any vegetables and fruits.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    With your medical history, you need to be careful. Ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietitian, and stick with real food until you see one. VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: Registered Dietitian = 4 year science degree at an accredited school, 1000 intern hours in an accredited program and a standardized liscensing/testing procedure. In most states, "nutritionist" means anyone who thinks they know a little about food and hung a shingle in the yard. Although many nutritionists are knowledgeable and well qualified, just as many more are really only interested in selling you a bunch of supplements and are preying on folks who don't know any better.
  • luckyinlove2
    luckyinlove2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    There should be classes with nutritionists or one on one with a dietician since you're diabetic. Most insurances will cover this especially with the sores on your legs. Good nutrition will help those heal a little faster (but it still takes forever). I applaud your improvement in your blood levels, but you say your A1C dropped one point--don't know how high it was, but maybe still too high? All in all, congratulations to you on making changes and taking charge of your health and body! "Be proud of every step you take toward reaching your goal"
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Does seem like you should be losing more. When I went back could only see one day of logging. Don't know if it's my phone or you've not logged. It happened earlier so I'm guessing a system glitch!

Your macros look really good. The only thing I noticed is your sugar being a little high. I'd look at sticking to 30g per day. I do 1700.. 35% protein, 35% carbs, 35% fat looks like your ratios are similar. I do find if I go really low on the carbs i stop losing, if I go high I stop losing. I do 100-120 and that works well for me.

Took me a a lot of fine tuning to find out what worked for me. I used to be a type 2 but reversed it. I can also stick within my carbs but have too much sugar and losses slow down.

At this point I think I'd request to see a dietitian. If you make a change stick with it for 4 weeks minimum to see if it works for you. It takes time and playing around to get the numbers right for some of us. Got to be patient. Know that's hard. I definitely, definitely think you should see a dietitian for advice. Should be coming off quicker.

I've gone from 301-208 taken me 560 days... But worth it!

Zara
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Agree about the sodas. Water is a huge key to weight loss. I will get burned for this but I disagree about the calories being too low. I believe calories should not be based on your current size but ideal weight. That is me.

Check out the book: Wow where did the fat go. Written by the doctor who is on the biggest loser. His plan/diet can accelerate your weight loss.

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Did-All-Fat-Prescription/dp/1931290571
  • MikeG2
    MikeG2 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Yes. This.^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    You've lost "only" 33 pounds over 7 months. That is almost 5 pounds a month, or a pound a week. This is a very healthy rate to lose weight. In addition, you've lost a lot of inches, and improved a lot of other health indicators. It sounds to me like you're doing really good! And if you're building habits that will last you the rest of your life, you're doing even better.

I'm willing to bet that it took several years for you to get to your highest weight. So you can't expect to take it off in just a few months. It may take a couple of years to get down to where you want to be. It's okay! Every day that you maintain the healthy habits is a day that you are extending your life expectancy. (Also consider this - I've heard, though don't know for sure - that people who lose weight more slowly have less issues with loose skin than those who drop a lot in a short amount of time.)

Enjoy the journey! Your life doesn't start when you hit your goal, it starts now! So there's nothing wrong with slow and steady.