Okay, so what's the deal with Olive Oil?

Options
I love my olive oil. the nice dipping kind. Colavita cold pressed. I had 2-3 Tbsp yesterday with pita for lunch and the olive oil had like 120 per Tbsp.....in total that olive oil was like 360 calories!!! it had no carbs though, or sodium.

so i know that like the whole Atkins philosophy was not to worry about calories or fat and that the carbs were what gained the pounds....which right now makes me feel better lol. but honestly I can't feel a bit down when I look at my calories and see i've gone 30-60 over for my daily intake because of olive oil!!

I've heard that olive oil is better for you as far as cholesterol is concerned and your heart....but what about gaining weight? Is olive oil bad for losing weight? If so, someone might have to pry the Colavita from my hands!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I love my olive oil. the nice dipping kind. Colavita cold pressed. I had 2-3 Tbsp yesterday with pita for lunch and the olive oil had like 120 per Tbsp.....in total that olive oil was like 360 calories!!! it had no carbs though, or sodium.

so i know that like the whole Atkins philosophy was not to worry about calories or fat and that the carbs were what gained the pounds....which right now makes me feel better lol. but honestly I can't feel a bit down when I look at my calories and see i've gone 30-60 over for my daily intake because of olive oil!!

I've heard that olive oil is better for you as far as cholesterol is concerned and your heart....but what about gaining weight? Is olive oil bad for losing weight? If so, someone might have to pry the Colavita from my hands!

Atkins was a quack with some of his thinking and excess calories are what causes fat accumulation. Olive oil like all other foods are neither good nor bad for losing weight, eat in a deficit, profit
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything is a bad thing. Nothing wrong with olive oil but if you're going over your calories because of it you're not going to lose.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Atkins was a quack with some of his thinking and excess calories are what causes fat accumulation. Olive oil like all other foods are neither good nor bad for losing weight, eat in a deficit, profit
    Yes, and...
    Too much of anything is a bad thing. Nothing wrong with olive oil but if you're going over your calories because of it you're not going to lose.
    Yes again.
  • MamaWeil2018
    MamaWeil2018 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Read the 'Eat to Live' book, he has lots to say about olive oil and it makes sense...
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Let me stop you right there.

You were over by 30-60? That's nothing to worry about. You can weigh everything you eat to an inch of its life, but it's still only an estimate. Much better to think of your target calories as plus or minus 100, and stay in a range, rather than beating yourself up cos you didnt hit a number bang on.
  • LadyBirdGo
    LadyBirdGo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    But what about boosting your metabolism? doesn't olive oil boost your metabolism?!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    This. I love OO too, infact, I am working my way through a 16kg tin of it... I use it a lot! If I cut down too much on my fats my digestion doesn't like it, and I prefer to use reduced fat cheese/yoghurt/milk with a really good drizzle of OO on a salad, pizza, baked potato... the list is endless.

All I would ask is that you use the best you can afford, do the oil justice :love: By the way, although I am using an enormous tin is very good quality, organic first press from my friend's olive grove on the Mani Penninsula in Greece :drinker:

ETA this too!
    Let me stop you right there.
    You were over by 30-60? That's nothing to worry about. You can weigh everything you eat to an inch of its life, but it's still only an estimate. Much better to think of your target calories as plus or minus 100, and stay in a range, rather than beating yourself up cos you didnt hit a number bang on.
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I never understood why Popeye and Bluto were always fighting over her...
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I would be suspicious of anything that claims to boost metabolism.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

Agree, Atkins was a quack. He died of heart disease, did you know that?

Carbs don't make you fat just like fat doesn't make you fat. Excess calories make you fat. Period.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Olive oil doesn't boost your metabolism, neither does raspberry ketones, green coffee bean extract or any of the million other things reported. If you like olive oil and it fits in your budget, eat olive oil but it doesn't have magic weight loss properties.
  • tracyjoys
    tracyjoys Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Healthy oils, in moderation, are necessary. Try coconut oil for cooking (doesn't take much) and keep olive oil as a cold-eating oil.

Olive oil changes molecular structure when heated, coconut oil does not.

If you find ANY food on your list is preventing you from losing weight, try dropping it from your menu for a week and see what happens - think elimination "diet" (I have that "D" word!) I have found (sadly) there are many things I love to eat that my body doesn't appreciate if I eat them regularly. Maybe olive oil is a trigger for your body?

I'm no expert by any stretch, just some friendly thoughts.

All the best to you!
  • imfivebyfive
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie is a calorie.

Just go walk for an hour or something, then you can still enjoy it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    But what about boosting your metabolism? doesn't olive oil boost your metabolism?!

No it does not. Foods don't "boost" your metabolism beyond the Thermic Effect of Eating or TEF.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I would also be suspicious of Olive Oil in general. Saw this link a week or so ago. Not sure about the validity of the claims, but I feel like we cant trust anything anymore these days.

http://news.ucdavis.edu/search/news_detail.lasso?id=10336
  • the_green_midget
    the_green_midget Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Carbs don't make you fat just like fat doesn't make you fat. Excess calories make you fat. Period.

Actually, Atkins died of a head injury after slipping on icy pavement and hitting his head. He did suffer a heart attack a year before his death, but it was due to a chronic infection. His doctors said he was in amazing cardiac health for a 71-year-old man, and that his diet probably had nothing to do with his heart attack. Do your research: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Atkins_(nutritionist)
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

Actually, Atkins died of a head injury after slipping on icy pavement and hitting his head. He did suffer a heart attack a year before his death, but it was due to a chronic infection. His doctors said he was in amazing cardiac health for a 71-year-old man, and that his diet probably had nothing to do with his heart attack. Do your research: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Atkins_(nutritionist)

You just referenced a wikipedia article... I can quote random sources as well:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/doctor/atkins.asp

This one says that medical files were released showing he did, in fact, have congestive heart failure. That is not caused by infection.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Totally agree with Atkins being a quack but he died from complications from head trauma after slipping on the ice and hitting his head after an ice storm in NY. He did have a heart attack previously that his cardiologist attributed to cardiomyopathy or an infection of the heart.
  • the_green_midget
    the_green_midget Posts: 80 Member
    Options

You just referenced a wikipedia article.........
    [/quote]

Ok, fine. Here's a news article about his death: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/apr/18/2
    And another one about his heart attack: http://articles.cnn.com/2002-04-25/health/atkins.diet_1_atkins-diet-cardiac-arrest-cardiomyopathy?_s=PM:HEALTH
  • medeamama
    medeamama Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    There is no magic food.

That said, Olive Oil, she's my goyle! LOL! I really enjoy dipping my bread in oil with herbs instead of spreading butter on it. It is a bit heathier, and has more flavor that way.

But again, there is no magic food.

Diversify, and like was mentioned earlier, going over by 30-60 calories won't hurt you. Just be careful not to start a trend that puts you over by too much every day. :)