ASK ME ANYTHING ABOUT WEIGHT LOSS!!! GREATEST THREAD EVER!!

Options

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Is it safe to be losing over 4lbs every week? I'm currently 309, and dropped 17lbs in the last month.

It's perfectly fine. Heavier people tend to see more of a decrease in weight. Keep up the good work!

P.S - I'll tell you this now, the weight loss will slow as you continue!! Don't come back here crying and asking if that's normal. trust me, It is.

Good luck, bro!!!
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP--I really got a lot out of your advice!
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Bumping!
    Read the first page and I am totally agreeing with everything you've said so far! I will have to read the rest later
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options

Are you kidding me? :noway: :noway: :noway: Just seen it :noway: :noway:

:noway: I have to be able to do a few good boy (NORMAL) pushups before that!!! HOLY LHFKSDJBFMDSHGFSD<
  • HASW
    HASW Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • starryk
    Options
    Bump for later :)
  • TattooTerra28
    TattooTerra28 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I knew we were friends on here for a reason! Why are you so astounding?!?! Haha
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    To set up your generic fat-loss diet calorie intake, all you need to is take your current body weight in LBS and multiply it by 10 or 12 calories. The number you see is your GUIDELINE maintenance calorie intake. It’s not perfect, like I said, we’re all different. IT’S A GUIDE. So in order to lose weight, at the end of every single day, you’re body needs to be at a caloric DEFICIT. This means you EAT UNDER THE AMOUNT of calories your body needs to maintain itself. SIMPLE. They say around 300-500 calories is recommended. If you do the math, stick to it and apply some exercise, you’ll lose weight.

No.

You use the 10 - 12 cals per 1 lb of total body weight to generate the rough amount of calories you should be eating for fat loss (in other words your calorie deficit level.) It factors in a reasonable amount of exercise so you wouldn't eat back exercise calories.

So, if I weigh 200 lbs I would eat somewhere between 2000 - 2,400 calories per day to start losing weight.

The way it works is this. 10 cals per 1lb of total body weight roughly equates to BMR for women, and 11 cals per 1lb of total body weight roughly equates to the BMR for men.

Therefore if you eat this amount your calorie deficit will be created by all the other elements which amount for the calorie out side of the energy balance equation: daily activity (NEAT/SPA) planned exercise (TEA) and energy cost of eating (TEF)

The higher end of the amount (12 cals per 1lbs of total body weight) does amount to maintenance calories for a completely sedentary person and would therefore be more useful as a calorie deficit starting point for someone who engages in quite a lot of exercise.)

I think it's a great way of getting a reasonable starting point but as said above you don't need to knock anything off it to start losing weight.

Sorry, but this only works if you are close to a healthy weight and BF%. A 5'3", 300 pound obese woman would NOT lose weight eating 3000 calories a day! Or even maintain on that amount.

Body composition plays a HUGE part in your BMR.

Sorry, there are no simple one-size-fits-all answers.

Unless the women in question had an underlying medical / metabolic condition not only could she maintain on 3,000 calories per day she could lose weight at that amount as well.

It's a sad testament to the poor shape of the information put out by the fitness industry that people have such a hard time believing this...

Only if she is burning around 1500 cals a day in the gym, and lifting heavy weights.

If she is your average middle aged, sedentary woman, at that weight and height, she is close to 70% BF. Her BMR would be around 1250 and sedentary TDEE would put her only around 1500.

The common misconception that body weight alone determines your BMR, is so misleading and confusing for many people trying to lose weight. Body Fat tissue burns very few calories compared to muscle tissue.

You compare this woman to a 300 pound male body builder with 7% body fat, and his BMR is over 3100 and his sedentary TDEE would be over 3700. Add his daily workouts to the equation and he would probably need 8-10k cals a day to maintain.

You just cannot make a blanket statement that everyone would maintain or lose on 10-12 times their body weight. That is just ridiculous.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Bimp
  • ryuage
    ryuage Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    you lost me with your initial post when I saw tone muscle... how does one tone a a muscle?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Only if she is burning around 1500 cals a day in the gym, and lifting heavy weights.

If she is your average middle aged, sedentary woman, at that weight and height, she is close to 70% BF. Her BMR would be around 1250 and sedentary TDEE would put her only around 1500.

The common misconception that body weight alone determines your BMR, is so misleading and confusing for many people trying to lose weight. Body Fat tissue burns very few calories compared to muscle tissue.

You compare this woman to a 300 pound male body builder with 7% body fat, and his BMR is over 3100 and his sedentary TDEE would be over 3700. Add his daily workouts to the equation and he would probably need 8-10k cals a day to maintain.

You just cannot make a blanket statement that everyone would maintain or lose on 10-12 times their body weight. That is just ridiculous.

Nope.

Pretty much everyone, barring those with medical / metabolic issues can successfully lose weight eating at around their BMR (which presumes they are accurately tracking their calorie intake) which is what the 10 cals per 1lbs of body weight formula roughly equates to for women.

BMR is correlated to body weight - that is how they formulas are derived. Whilst body composition does play a part it is not as significant as people may imagine. IIRC 1lb muscle takes 6 cals per 1lb to maintain whilst fat takes 2 cals per 1lb. Yes, there is a difference but is it not as great as people go on about.

As for your fictional, average middle aged woman with a BF% of 70% - even super morbidly obese people do not have a BF% that high....or such a low TDEE.
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    This is entertaining! Two thumbs up for the best thread ever. :drinker:
  • hifromjamers1984
    hifromjamers1984 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Dude, who are you?

this exactly. excellent question.
    And as you're so confident in your omniscience OP, they're looking for a new pope, maybe you could apply?

I think it is his gorgeous eyes that have us all mesmerized. For some reason, it is hard to disagree with anything he says, or point out his inconsistencies. He could have a great future as a cult leader! :flowerforyou:

Interesting how you haven't responded to the question of "who are you?" Why should anyone listen to what you have to say? What is your background? Anyone that has googled info can sound like they know what they are talking about but it doesn't make it so.
  • tricksee
    Options
    Interesting how you haven't responded to the question of "who are you?" Why should anyone listen to what you have to say? What is your background? Anyone that has googled info can sound like they know what they are talking about but it doesn't make it so.

I'm nobody special in all honesty. I've no fancy background or PhD in any of this stuff and I don't think many people here have.
    I'm not forcing advice upon anybody and I'm not saying anybody has to even listen.

Good luck with your weight loss goals.
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    does it always have to be calories per day to loose weight or can I (pretty please) eat under my calories for 5 days and then over for 2 days but all the while maintaining my weekly calorie goal?

I practice the Daily approach to under eating my calories but the 5:2 diet which incorporates 2 days of fasting plus 5 days of normal eating, proves that yes, averaging it per week does have benefits and will work. Whether it's a slower or quicker method to aid your weight loss can only be proven by trial and error!

Do you do a fast 2 days a week as well as 16/8?
  • tricksee
    Options

Do you do a fast 2 days a week as well as 16/8?

I do 16/8.

I tried 5:2 this week but failed. Luckily I still did 16/8 at the same time so I had that to fall back on.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I was enjoying this thread until, unfortunately I came across this improper use of "you're". That's when you lost all credibilty with me. It sounded so well thought out up to that point.

I'm sure at one point in your life, you have made a mistake in spelling. Per your own thinking, your very own existence is now null and void. Grow up. The whole Grammar Nazi thing is completely old.

GREAT thread. I find it wonderful when somebody goes out of their way to help others.

It's called a joke!
    I couldn't care less about his grammar.

In case you don't know, here is the definition of:

joke

/jōk/

Noun
    A thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, esp. a story with a funny punchline.

Verb
    Make jokes; talk humorously or flippantly.

Synonyms

noun.
    jest - fun - jape - gag - trick - pleasantry - lark

verb.
    jest - jape - banter - lark - kid - josh
  • NeeneVa
    NeeneVa Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    QUOTE: wibutterflyma

"Interesting how you haven't responded to the question of "who are you?" Why should anyone listen to what you have to say? What is your background? Anyone that has googled info can sound like they know what they are talking about but it doesn't make it so. "

Seriously?? So don't read it. You are free to move on! tricksee I appreciate your advice and your insight! Thank you!

Get a grip people!
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options

Move along lady. I'm enjoying this thread :smile: