Moms who exercise in the AM... what is your schedule?

Options
what time do you go to bed at night?
What time to do you wake up in the AM?
how many hours of sleep do you aim for?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I work out every morning before my 5 year old and my bf wake up. I am usually up at 5 to get my day started. I am a night owl and in school so I usually go to bed between 10 and 11pm. I try to get at least 6 hours of sleep (if I am lucky).
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Love Love LOVE my am workout time!:)
    It took a little while to establish the early bedtime, but I finally worked my family into the habit, putting me and husband into bed, going to sleep at 9:30pm.
    I don't set my alarm, and wake up at about 4am.
    So workout time at the gym is anytime between 4:30am and 6:30am. I'll choose the earlier time if I want to come back home after my w/o and climb into bed for a while. Or end my workout at about 6:30am if I want to drop by the grocery store before coming home.
    I currently only do weightlifting at the gym, and choose to do cardio later in the day at home...usually a walk/run/bikeride.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm a lucky lady in that fiancee has a semi-swing shift schedule, so we get up about 7:30-8 with our little one, I cook us breakfast, and I'm working out with DF watching little guy at around 9:30-10. He usually leaves for work as soon as I'm done. I usually sack out around 10-11p, whenever DF gets home. :)

Edited to add: I do solely home work outs. I do 30 Day Shred and outdoor running. I absolutely NEED at least 8 hours of sleep, if not more.
  • kazmurphblin
    kazmurphblin Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I usually get up at 4am to exercise before everyone gets up and I get mum this and mum that!! lol!! If not I wait till my 5 year old goes to school having my breakfast at 6am so about 8.30 I work out my 1 year old is ready to go to bed for a nap then! So I workout x
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I wake up between 6-6:30. Get my oldest up around 7. Get her breakfast and ready for school. She leaves around 8. Then usually my 4 year old is up by then. Get him breakfast/bath. Then I clean the house. Usually start my workout by 10:30 to about 11:30-12. Shower then lunch. Then my son and I usually just do stuff around the house until my daughter comes home around 2:30. Then they usually play with friends and I work on my homework. Dinner. Usually just watch tv until bedtime. I go to bed around 10ish.
  • kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I try to be in bed and asleep by 10:30 pm. I have my alarm set for 5:05 AM. I've found if I go to be too early, I wake up closer to 4 AM. Ideally, I'd like 7-8 hours a night.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    The schedule in my head:

Bed at 10
    Up at 5:30
    At the gym by 6

Sleeping a glorious 7.5 hours! :happy:

The schedule I really have:

Bed anywhere from 12-1
    Up at 5:50
    At the gym by 6:15

Sleep 4-5 hours a night. :cry:
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I go to bed between 8:30 and 10:00 most nights, it depends. I try to get my (almost) 4 year old in bed bt 8:30 on school nights. My 12 year old goes to be between 8 and 9, depending on her mood, she is usually in bed by 8:30 watching some TV before sleep. I try to stay up to watch TV with my husband, but I'm usually pretty done for the night by 9. My alarm goes off at 4:15, I'm usually out of bed by 4:30 and working out by 4:45-5:00. My 4 year old wakes up anywhere from 5:15 on. I don't let her sleep past 6:20-6:30. I get the 12 year old up, I get the toddler ready, I make breakfast if I know I won't have time to eat at work, I get it ready to make at work if I will have time. I pack lunches if needed. My husband comes home from the gym, and we head out by 7-7:15. I'd love to get 8 hours every night, but that would require me either going to be and falling asleep by 8 or getting up later, neither of which is likely to happen.
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4am to workout before anybody else gets up, but sometimes I have little company anyway. 2 out of 3 kids did Zumba with me this morning, until they got bored, and mad that I wouldn't turn the TV to the Wii. :)

I TRY to go to bed by 11, but it doesn't always work out. Get it, workout... anyway, that's what I shoot for, but 1-2 nights, I totally crash during my youngest's nursing session, and am down by 8:30 or 9.

It's not exactly sustainable, especially because I don't really make up much sleep on the weekends. But I know I won't do it when I get home, so it's gotta be first thing with a chance of quiet, or it doesn't happen. I also recently told my hubby that I'm taking a Zumba class and he's watching the kids for an hour Saturday mornings, and he can just deal... though I found the earliest one available in my area, at least; 8am. If a workout gets skipped for whatever reason, I try to make up that session by being really active w/ the kids on Sunday (running at the park, long walks, etc); my usual rest day.
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    My schedule is the following:

In bed by 11 PM
    Up at 6:30, go straight to gym (DH still in bed, baby still asleep). I bring a banana for the bus and eat some cottage cheese before leaving.
    7:00 gym opens. Work out (I lift weights, my routine takes about 40 minutes). I drink a protein shake at this point on the bus and shower at home.
    8:15 home;
    8:30ish baby wakes, change her & feed her, put her in her infant seat and sing while I shower (she loves it!)

DH leaves for work as soon as I get home. If the baby wakes before he leaves I just take over where he left off in caring for her so he can finish getting ready.

I do this 2 mornings per week and then I allow myself another longer workout on Saturday and enjoy the spa section of my gym afterwards. (DH doesn't work Saturdays at all)
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I usually go to get between 10 and 12 (depends on if I work that night, when I do it's 5:30 - 11:30ish). Wake up is 7ish; I get the kids (2 and 4, sometimes an extra 3 year old) fed and right after they are done we all go downstairs and they play while I workout (treadmill, free weights and bowflex) for 40 to 75 mins. Bring on housework, daily activities (lessons & classes, home office work, ect . . .), then lunch, and if I have to work in the evening, I try to at least rest while my 2 year old naps for around an hour. Dinner, then do it all over again . . . . Sundays are special, hubby doesn't work and I get my long run outside in the morning, then we have all day as a family.

ETA: It's really motivating to see busy mothers' different ways to incorporate exercising into their routines, I think that anyone can find the time if they really want to :)
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Go to bed at 10-1030 pm
    My son is normally up at least an hour during the night
    Then get up at 4 am
    Workout for 30-45 min shower get my son up and go to work..
    I avg about 5-6 hrs of sleep a night
  • AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I usually go to bed by 9, 8 if I'm lucky! I wake up at 6 with my husband and after he leaves I start my workout, usually 30-45 minutes. By then my kids are up and rearing to go! I try to get at least 8 hours of sleep.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    I usually get to bed around 10:30 and sleep around 11. I try to get up at 4:30 but often I hit the snooze button until 5! I can still fit in my workout but have to hurrry through everything else and usually end up eating breakfast at work :)

eta - I feel that if I can get 6 hours per night on weekdays and 8 or more on weekends, I can survive.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    The schedule in my head:

Bed at 10
    Up at 5:30
    At the gym by 6

Sleeping a glorious 7.5 hours! :happy:

The schedule I really have:

Bed anywhere from 12-1
    Up at 5:50
    At the gym by 6:15

Sleep 4-5 hours a night. :cry:

Hahaha! Oh, I hear you! It works out SO perfectly in my head! :flowerforyou:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

Thanks!!!
    I try to go to bed by 10, but often fall asleep even earlier on the sofa while watching TV with hubs, and actually get in bed around 11:00.

On strength workout days, I wake up at 4:45 so I can start my workout by 5:00. On running days, I wake up at 6:00 on school days, later on weekends. But in summer I run at dawn to beat the heat, so those are early days too.

I aim for 7 hours of sleep but doesn't always happen.
  • mrsdavid3
    Options
    SAHM of 4 ( two in school)
    I get up at 5:30 i get my coffee I get my kiddos up and ready for school. I send my husband off to work, and get my other two fed and ready for the day. I work out while they have some play time for 30-45min. I do normal house work til lunch, I feed my kids get them to bed for naps and do another 20-30mins.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    In bed by 10, asleep by 10:30 (although I'd really like to move this earlier by half an hour). I set the alarm for 6, wake my 2.5 year old up by 6:30, and we are out the door by 8 to head to the gym (and childwatch for her), arriving at 8:30. And of course it is a universal law that no matter how early we get up, it will always be a struggle to get out the door. :)
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options

Thanks!!!

My schedule is a little different now because I work out while the boys are in school, but I will put what I did when I used to get up early to work out.
    I would go to bed around 10:30-11
    I was up at 5:40
    I was good with 6 hours
  • Aitm20
    Aitm20 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bed at 10
    Wake up at 7, take kids to school
    Slack off a little then gym 9-10:30

I aim for 8 hrs of sleep