Burger on the Grill..Calories????

Options
How many calories in a 1 lb burger on the grill? Just the patty? In 80/20 meat??

Replies

• melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Somewhere in the food database is an entry for ground beef, raw. I use that for burgers (I usually do 4 oz. raw meat portions... too much work to try to figure out what it is cooked!)
  • FitnessChefJime
    FitnessChefJime Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This may help

The USDA has a ground beef calculator for this question. The calculator reports the technically correct, "kilo-calories," which is what food labels list as "calories". It can take an input of 5% to 30% fat meat. I got these results using it:

5% fat meat is 621 calories per pound
    10% fat meat is 798 calories per pound
    15% fat meat is 975 calories per pound
    20% fat meat is 1152 calories per pound
    25% fat meat is 1329 calories per pound
    30% fat meat is 1506 calories per pound
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Do you have the packaging for the meat you used? The nutritional information is on there (even raw meat). Otherwise, look up hamburger and choose the one for 80/20, and add the bun and additional toppings separately.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    This is how I do it too, don't forget any seasonings/aromatics you put in the meat! :bigsmile:
  • shanman
    shanman Posts: 16
    Options
    After a little research I found 240 calories in 3 ounces of 80/20 Ground Beef....so about 1280 in a pound. I usually use much leaner 93/7 and doctor them up with seasoning, tomatoes, and avacados. YUM!

There are only about 180 calories in 4 ounces of the 93/7 FYI.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I use these sites:
    http://www.nutritiondata.com/
    and
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

Here is regular ground beef (one pound (16ozs)):
    Nutrition Facts
    User Entered Recipe
    1 Serving
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 680.0
    Total Fat 32.0 g
    Saturated Fat 10.0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Cholesterol 260.0 mg
    Sodium 240.0 mg
    Potassium 0.0 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
    Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
    Sugars 0.0 g
    Protein 92.0 g
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Options
    My guess would be it is a yummy amount of calories. lol i hope you enjoy it!
  • fowlmeli1093
    fowlmeli1093 Posts: 199
    Options
    Aren't burgers on the grill suppose to be healthier? Would that mean less calories then too??
  • fowlmeli1093
    fowlmeli1093 Posts: 199
    Options
    Aren't burgers on the grill suppose to be healthier? Would that mean less calories then too??
  • iguanaliz
    iguanaliz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    There are entries in the databased for grilled ground beef, which is what I use. You'll need to weigh the patty after it's cooked. The reason grilled is healthier is because the fat (not all, of course) drains away vs. the patty cooking in it like it would in a pan. Thus, it's lower cal. Since I'm in Florida, trust me, my grill has been getting heavy use for a couple of months already! It's my favorite cooking method -- lower fat and no dirty pans. And before it comes up, I don't worry about carcinogens because I don't burn my food :0)