Zombie Run App

Options
Has anyone used this on their phone? I downloaded it and am about to use it after I figure out how to get music loaded. What are your likes/dislikes of the app? I'm wanting to do the Zombie Run and using this to prepare for it.

Replies

• LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I use it, I'm part way through the story and enjoying it :) I use it on the treadmill and running outside, it works better outside because I'm finding it can glitch and get stuck when I'm on the treadmill and not sure why it does that. When I say get stuck it just goes quiet and I have to pause and then restart to continue with the story - not a prob but just annoying having to get at my phone and doing that whilst running and trying not to fall off the treadmill as I'm looking at my phone and not ahead! Other than that glitch it's great and I'm really enjoying it :)
  • germangirl88
    germangirl88 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just came back from my first run and it was a lot of fun. I thought about treadmill and will see if that happens on my phone. I'm loving it too!!
  • Amandatorie
    Amandatorie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Can you tell me more about this?! Does it just speak over the music you are already playing on your iPhone, to tell you when to run/walk and why (in terms of a story)? That sounds fantastic.

I read the review/info in the app store...what about the game aspect of it? Do you have to "play the game" of what to do with your "supplies" you got on your runs?
  • LeonnieH
    Options
    Can you tell me more about this?! Does it just speak over the music you are already playing on your iPhone, to tell you when to run/walk and why (in terms of a story)? That sounds fantastic.

I read the review/info in the app store...what about the game aspect of it? Do you have to "play the game" of what to do with your "supplies" you got on your runs?

Within the Zombies Run app you can select a playlist that is on your phone - doing this means that your own music on the playlist is interspersed between the story. The story starts (talking) and then pauses whilst one (or two if you've selected the 1 hour workout) music tracks play. The music ends and the story continues, breaking again after about a minute or two to play the next music track and so it goes on. If you're still planning to run longer at the end of the story then it goes into radio mode which basically is just general chatting interspersed with your music.

During the story they might say run around in a loop, or go into that building etc but you don't actually need to move that way - just continue running along your own route. As you're running and whilst the story and music is playing you will collect "supplies" (you don't physically pick them up) and at the end of the workout you have a collection of supplies on the app which you can then allocate to the various buildings on your base to build it up. Your base is either within the phone app or can be see on the Zombies Run website, it changes and improves as you add more supplies to the buildings - adding more supplies also unlocks future storylines within the app.

You can set the Zombie chase to on or off. Off means you won't encounter any chases, on means that during your run you will be told that Zombies are approaching and you need to run faster. I think it's about 20% faster for about a minute or two that you need to run in order to outrun the zombies, if they get too close (i.e. you're not running fast enough) then you will drop supplies so that you can distract the Zombies and get away i.e. you lose some of your supplies which makes building your base slower/more challenging. Having it on is good if you want to add some interval sprints into your run, personally I have it off at the moment because I'm not fast or fit enough to outrun them!

It's just a bit of fun really, not a hugely interactive game at all, but takes some of the boredom out of running on a treadmill. You can also within the app set GPS on (if you're running outdoors) so it keeps a record of your route with a map and will work out your average speed etc.

[sorry, that's turned into an essay!]
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    It looks really cool, but says it's optimized for iPhone 5, and I've got a 4. Does anyone know if it would work?
  • LeonnieH
    Options
    It looks really cool, but says it's optimized for iPhone 5, and I've got a 4. Does anyone know if it would work?

It should work on the iPhone 4, I'm using an iPhone 3.
  • northernbeaver
    Options
    love the game - im about half way through - really gives you something to focus on instead of the pain/strain in your legs/lungs etc and I find myself pushing myself more.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options

It should work on the iPhone 4, I'm using an iPhone 3.
    Awesome, thanks!
  • Kempossible
    Kempossible Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bump for later read.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I use it and LOVE it! Recently downloaded the 5k version also and cant wait for warmer weather to give it a go.
  • tariana
    tariana Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use the 5k Training version. My only problem with the app is that it is not counting my steps correctly, and as I use it in the treadmill I can never be sure of how much I walked. So I am using a heart monitor to keep track on the calories burned.

I must say I was never into running, but this app made me start loving it. Today I did the 2nd mission of the 2nd week and I almost wanted to kill the person who authorized Sam Yao to leave the base. I never ran so much in my whole life!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I have something like this, but it doesn't have a story. You can just see the zombies chasing you on the map, and if they get too close I think you can hear them. I was disappointed. What is the actual name of your app? I'd like to try again!
  • LeonnieH
    Options
    If anyone using the Zombie Run app wants to add me as a friend please feel free to do so, it would be nice to have other friends on my news feed who are using the same app :)
  • Amandatorie
    Amandatorie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Info! A couple more questions... (I don't know why I want to know all this to see if it's really "worth it". I should just try the app. I mean, I'll go out and spend 10x as much on a great new zip-up hoodie thing to wear while running!)

Anyone have any more insight into what's actually different between the regular "Zombies, Run!" app and the 5k version? Does the Zombies, Run app expect you to be running the whole time, and then just faster for sprints? Whereas the 5k version alternates between running and walking? These are just guesses-can someone explain?

I'm currently using an app called "Interval Run" to do a couch to 5k program, but I'll be done in a few weeks. I'm already dreading the 20 minute run (It's all been intervals of running and walking so far), mainly because I'll get so bored on a treadmill! We still have a couple feet of snow on the ground, so outdoors isn't really an option for me right now.

Essentially, I get bored running and anything that will keep it more interesting sounds good to me!
  • SlvrFlame
    SlvrFlame Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have it for my phone, too, and love it. I don't run, though. I use it for walking on the treadmill and it's enough to keep me entertained during a half hour walk so I don't get bored. Having the transmissions play between Here Come the Mummies makes the time fly by!
  • dcazll
    dcazll Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I got this app yesterday as I'm a massive zombie fan! I love it, it made me run for the first time today in over a year. I did the fist mission yesterday and it actually had me looking over my sholder lol. Today I did 2 missions because I'm dying to get through it. I can't wait to get out for my walks now!

As the glitch I've had it a couple of times where my music will stop and I just have to listen to silence for a few minutes. I hope they fix this soon.
  • LeonnieH
    Options
    Thanks for the Info! A couple more questions... (I don't know why I want to know all this to see if it's really "worth it". I should just try the app. I mean, I'll go out and spend 10x as much on a great new zip-up hoodie thing to wear while running!)

Anyone have any more insight into what's actually different between the regular "Zombies, Run!" app and the 5k version? Does the Zombies, Run app expect you to be running the whole time, and then just faster for sprints? Whereas the 5k version alternates between running and walking? These are just guesses-can someone explain?

I'm currently using an app called "Interval Run" to do a couch to 5k program, but I'll be done in a few weeks. I'm already dreading the 20 minute run (It's all been intervals of running and walking so far), mainly because I'll get so bored on a treadmill! We still have a couple feet of snow on the ground, so outdoors isn't really an option for me right now.

Essentially, I get bored running and anything that will keep it more interesting sounds good to me!

I don't know what the difference between the two is because I haven't used the 5k one. I'm guessing that the 5k one offers more coaching on when to run and walk whereas the regular app just expects you to be running the whole time (i.e. no prompts of now you can walk and now you must run) - but that's just a guess!

You don't have to be running to use the app, you could just listen to it sitting still if you wanted - but that would be pointless :) But yes if you wanted to use the app to alternate between running and walking that would still work.

Don't worry about the 20 min run, I remember doing c25k and dreading that day thinking no way I would be able to do it, but I did! If the treadmill gets boring I've found it better for me to throw my towel over the display, I then start to focus more on listening to my music and less on watching the numbers on the display panel. I ran 10k the other week on the treadmill like that, couldn't believe I could run that far (5k has been my max really) and didn't die of boredom lol
  • LeonnieH
    Options
    I have something like this, but it doesn't have a story. You can just see the zombies chasing you on the map, and if they get too close I think you can hear them. I was disappointed. What is the actual name of your app? I'd like to try again!

Zombies, Run! is the name of the app :)
  • popo0509
    popo0509 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love the app, but I'm not the best runner yet so it kinda gave me something to laugh at when they caught me, but at the same time it gives u some motivation when you actually outrun them for the first time. Lol, so for now the zombies are off to me but I'm gonna keep working at it. It makes running fun. :)
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I've been through all of the missions now, including the supply runs. Waiting for Zombies, Run! 2 -- due sometime this spring , although they haven't provided an exact date. I'm cycling through the the supply runs while I wait. :)

In general, I love the app... Definitely fun.

A couple of things...

1. It will only work with iTunes play lists.... no Spotify, Pandora, etc. I've suggested to their developers a few times that they should just let streaming audio apps play in the background and do some volume changing every X minutes for ZR! dialogue, but no joy so far. Frankly, it kinda sucks since I tend to use Spotify almost exclusively.

2. The app does tend to get stuck from time to time. Mostly at transition points between music & dialogue. Like someone already said, you have to pause / restart the mission to get it going again. It happens outside and on treadmills, seems to be random, restarting your phone before a workout might help.

3. The Zombie chases will work on a treadmill if you have the iPhone in your hand or attached to an arm band of some sort, but it doesn't seem to be as accurate as with the GPS. Or maybe I just don't sprint as hard on the treadmill. :)

4. Yes, it works fine on the iPhone 4/4S.