Embarassed myself at the gym today... but its OKAY

Options
So today was my first day going to the gym. It was also me going alone. Anyone who knows me knows I have social anxiety and I hate the idea that others could be looking at me, BUT I went by myself.

So I had already emailed the gym and asked the best times to come (when they were not busy). After he emailed me back I decided on 11:00 am. So today I got up and started reving myself up to go to the gym. I did make it there by 11 and was happy to see about 6 people total were there today. Three of the people were employees.

So I decide I am going to try the elliptical. I have NEVER been on one. So I start trying to start it and .... nothing. I am hitting every button and I can't get it start. So finally a girl (who works there) walks past and I ask her. She says "just start moving and it will turn on". Oh geez. Then she stays to make sure I am starting it and goes, "you need to push down, your going backwards". LMAO OMG I bet I turned 100 shades of red but I thanked her and went on my merry way. I made it 5 minutes but hey its a start.

Then I went with the treadmill because I know how to use one. All was ok there.

I am going again tomorrow and might branch out to the stepper or rowing machine.

No matter what I did it. I walked in, I exercised and I was sweating like a pig when I left. I did it, I did it alone and now I know I can do it again.

I may also sign up for a personal trainer for a few times just so he/she can show me how to use some of these machines.

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Nice work!

Ask your gym if they do new member sessions. The one I used to go to did. Their new member session was a tour around the gym, explained each area, classes they offer, services they offer as well as how to properly use each of the machines. A lot of the machines have different settings, resistance levels, preset programs, etc. For someone like you who may not know much about the machines and is shy going to one of those may be best and very helpful.

Ask if they have that... if they don't just ask if someone is available to show you how to work the machines. Most gyms are great with helping out.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better I did the exact same thing the first time I used an elliptical.

It may make you feel even better to know that I did it again, ten years later, the next time I used an elliptical. :laugh:
  • nmf062174
    nmf062174 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Great job! It will get easier each time you go!
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    u did great! keep going back to get familiear with it. might also be worth a shot to go in there early in the am to go and look around and familiarize yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • ctottingham
    ctottingham Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be embarrassed over that! Plenty of people go backwards on those and I do believe they have a setting to go backwards! My first time at the gym it was packed and I choose the elliptical too for the first time ever and it took me a few minutes to realize I had to move to get it started. EVERYONE DOES IT!
  • Maxibris
    Maxibris Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    to put your embarrassment into perspective:

I went to the gym when I hadn't been for a very long time. So I was determined to give it my all! I went all out and at one point was feeling a little light-headed so I started to make my way over to the drinking fountain.

I didn't make it.

I passed right out in the middle of the gym. One of the really ripped weight-lifting dudes helped me up and asked if I was alright.

I drank a bit of water, died of embarrassment, and went home.
  • Luciabella07
    Luciabella07 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Don't feel embarrassed! Most people do that and that's what the employees are there for! No one walks into the gym knowing how to use all the equipment, its a learning process too. Good for you for facing your fears and going to the gym and not letting the embarassment you felt keep you from going to the gym...that's pretty badass if you ask me! Everytime you walk in there you will be more and more comfortable. You got the hard part out of the way. :)
  • aagaag
    aagaag Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It's actually a good thing to go backwards occasionally! The workout intensity is the same, the machine does not care and will not break - but you will exercise slightly different leg muscles, which is a good thing!
  • naurugirl
    naurugirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A while back I wanted to try out a new weight machine in my gym and went about trying to adjust the seat height. Simple, right? Nope! I spent about 5 minutes yanking and pulling on the darned thing trying to adjust it until a fellow lifter took pity on me and showed me how to adjust it. I turned beet red, did about two reps and hightailed it outta there! But the next time I lifted, no problems with the seat. Keep up the great work and you'll be an elliptical pro in no time! :)
  • tweak68
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Good Job! Keep it up! Don't be afraid to ask the gym rats how to use the different pieces of equipment....that's there job. They see new people ALL the time. Just think.....tomorrow will be the first time you have been to the gym twice. Life is full of firsts! Just conquer them all! Good Luck!
  • lkplibra
    lkplibra Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    So proud of you!
  • Wrenbot87
    Wrenbot87 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    When I first started using the elliptical it was hard and I could go maybe 10 minutes. Now I love to go, and I can get to about 45 minutes before my heart rate is too elevated! Just keep at it! First time at the gym is a hard thing, but good for you getting out there!
  • Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed because you don't know how to do something you've never done before! :) Definitely ask for help on proper form before using the rower -- it's a great workout but for me it was not at all intuitive on how to do it, so I avoided it for years until someone showed me how to use it. And feel free to alternate forwards and backwards on the elliptical... it's always good to change things up from time to time!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    thats nothig to be embarrassed about. going backwards is perfectly fine
  • carnard_p
    Options
    No worse than falling off of the treadmill why trying to run all sexy infront of the girls. I did.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I think I see someone that doesn't know how to use the elliptical every time I am in the gym during a busy day. Nothing to be embarrassed about, besides the staff is there to help you.
  • EricB56
    EricB56 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Embarassing? When I started working out again, I absentmindedly walked into the wrong locker room. At work. On the department admin. Fortunately, everyone was pretty well dressed but it is going to take a while to live this one down.
  • s07civic
    s07civic Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    So today was my first day going to the gym. It was also me going alone. Anyone who knows me knows I have social anxiety and I hate the idea that others could be looking at me, BUT I went by myself.

So I had already emailed the gym and asked the best times to come (when they were not busy). After he emailed me back I decided on 11:00 am. So today I got up and started reving myself up to go to the gym. I did make it there by 11 and was happy to see about 6 people total were there today. Three of the people were employees.

So I decide I am going to try the elliptical. I have NEVER been on one. So I start trying to start it and .... nothing. I am hitting every button and I can't get it start. So finally a girl (who works there) walks past and I ask her. She says "just start moving and it will turn on". Oh geez. Then she stays to make sure I am starting it and goes, "you need to push down, your going backwards". LMAO OMG I bet I turned 100 shades of red but I thanked her and went on my merry way. I made it 5 minutes but hey its a start.

Then I went with the treadmill because I know how to use one. All was ok there.

I am going again tomorrow and might branch out to the stepper or rowing machine.

No matter what I did it. I walked in, I exercised and I was sweating like a pig when I left. I did it, I did it alone and now I know I can do it again.

I may also sign up for a personal trainer for a few times just so he/she can show me how to use some of these machines.
    Bravo to you for stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new! As someone who used to feel very much how you describe (social anxiety), I know it was NOT easy for you to do that! I think you meeting with a trainer to show you how to use the equipment is a great idea. After going to the gym with one of my friends who frequently works out (it almost felt like he was my trainer, lol), I felt less self conscious there. And I realized that most people are too worried about how they look to notice how you look working out! For what it's worth, if I see someone who looks like they're new at the gym I may try to show them how to use the machine too (Quick Start, etc) but I just do this to be nice, not to insult them or anything, so don't worry about it! :-)

Plus, you may find that the endorphins that get released by exercising will help you overcome the social anxiety you have. Enjoy the gym...it is a whole new world in there! Keep us posted!
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Nothing to be embarrassed about at all!! Be proud you went and be proud you're going again!
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Good for you for going and for trying and for hanging in there!! :flowerforyou: