Eating back exercise calories...makes no sense to me...

Options
2»

Replies

• supergirljen
    Options
    Gaaaawwwwdddd....this f'in topic again...make me want to...

convenience-store-clerk-busts-a-thief.gif

1520 posts in less than 4 months? You have a lot of time on your hands.
  • chrislynn_marie
    chrislynn_marie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories. Even if I do get more hungry after my work-outs, those snacks are already planned into my day. My trainer has never advised me to eat more when I work out so I can't recommend what's best for someone else. I am looking into going to see a nutritionist though to find out what is best for me. I've lost 40 pounds without eating exercise calories, but that's just me.
  • scoskin
    Options
    Been at this a while and while I don't eat 1200 calories a day (more like between 1600-1700) I also don't eat back my exercise calories and some days I put in over two very rigorous hours in the gym. I rarely if ever feel deprived, but I would not hesitate to eat some of those calories back if my body said it needed it. So just listen to your body. Maybe aim for a higher daily calorie amount, 1200 calories goes fast.

As far as water goes from the person who asked, water is important for a lot of things especially considering we are about 65% water. It can help stave off muscle soreness, hunger, headaches and so much more.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    My doctor (nutritionist) told me not to eat all of my exercise cals back. A lot of people on here tell u to but i think i will trust a doctor than someone that just reads up on something. If u really want to know how to do ur weight loss i would make a doctors appointment with a nutritionist if ur confused every one is different so i think that would be the best thing for u to do:)

Does you doctor know you are using MFP...does he know how MFP works...does he know that a deficit is built into the caloric goal? When a doctor, trainer, or nutritionist tells you not to eat back exercise calories it usually is because they assume you are eating a maintenance level of calories and using exercise to create the deficit. MFP creates the deficit in your diet...you don't even have to exercise to lose weight with the MFP method.

Nobody is different...caloric deficit = weight loss. It can either be built into a diet or created through exercise. When it's built into the diet and you exercise but don't eat back exercise calories you create massive deficits that can be dangerous and extremely unhealthy. Learn how to use this friggin' tool...it's really pretty damned simple.

Now....

scrubs-dr-cox-stfu.gif

with this nonsense.
  • roiLEI1554
    Options
    This definitely varies per person! I find, though, that if I don't at least sometimes eat back exercise calories, I end up eating everything in sight on one of the last days of the week, and then beat myself up for it.

I think, at least once or twice a week would be good to eat back calories from exercise. If you want faster weight loss, of course, you don't have to, but it'll be tougher to maintain (at least that's what I learned from my own personal experience).
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm new here and have been using this site for the last 3 weeks. Have only lost about 4 lbs and I'm not all that happy with my small loss. This issue confuses me as well. I don't get the reasoning behind eating back the exercise calories either. I'm also not a huge water fan. Never have been. Would like to know why water is so important when losing weight. Looking forward to responses from the knowledgeable people on here. Thanks.:smile:

4 pounds is 3 weeks is fast probably too fast unless you are very obese. Don't speed it up, slow it down.
  • alanlmarshall
    Options

Last time I lost 20lbs... but unfortunately fell completely off the wagon and put all the weight back on again.

I was confused by the whole idea of eating back my exercise calories and I never have.

Not a coincidence. Losing fat too quickly often leads to regaining it. Losig gradually will give you a better chance at permanent change.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I followed the "in place ofa road map 2.0" forum and customized my calorie allowance so i don't have to log exercises and deal with eating back my exercise calories. I know i can eat up to 2240 calories to maintain, or under that to lose.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I follow TDEE/BMR and don't eat back...BUT I eat 1800 every day. I am 5'3", 159 lbs and trying to get down to 21% body fat (don't really care what weight I am at that). I have been losing something steadily for about a month and a half. Whether that is inches or weight, I really don't care. But, I do a bigger happy dance with inches lost rather than weight.

To answer the person's question about water since I haven't seen anyone answer it. The 8 cups of water should be reworded to 8 cups of fluids. They say water because water is no calorie, there the best option for someone who is trying to lose weight to drink. I count everything less than 60 calories as a cup of fluids (no soda). I drink mainly water through out the day, usually killing 3 20oz bottles a day, but if I don't I don't stress it. Listen to your body. If you eat a lot of sodium, then the 64 ounces of water a day isn't a bad thing because it will combat the sodium intake. But, if you are doing fairly well on your sodium intake then trust your body to tell you it needs more fluids. If you are going to the restroom at least every 3-4 hours and the urine is light yellow or clear then you are getting enough.

The whole 8 by 8 rule was easy to remember, but the scientists and doctors failed to mention total fluids...thus the start of the myth 8 cups of water.

Here are links to support the above:

Mayo Link: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
    Scientific American: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day
    Snopes: http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
    CBC Health: http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/06/08/water-eight-glasses-myth.html
    WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/wonders-of-water
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    So second time round you know what all the discussions are so I won't labour the point. To answer your question:
    Q - Do you eat back your calories? How much weight have you lost by doing so?
    A - Yes I eat them all back, I lost 18lbs and got to goal weight.

Frankly you did it wrong the first time round and you are doing it wrong again!
    "I am aiming for 2lbs a week" - Don't aim for 2lbs a week, very good chance that is why you lost then gained again.

" I am scared to at the thought of not losing any weight!" You know your NET deficit will make you lose weight but you are scared of not losing weight? That doesn't make any sense.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    My doctor (nutritionist) told me not to eat all of my exercise cals back. A lot of people on here tell u to but i think i will trust a doctor than someone that just reads up on something. If u really want to know how to do ur weight loss i would make a doctors appointment with a nutritionist if ur confused every one is different so i think that would be the best thing for u to do:)

For anyone who can afford it/has health insurance, this is always a good idea.
  • arnfolly
    arnfolly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have always eaten back my calories as to avoid thermogenesis (aka starvation mode). I found when I did this I did not plateu as often. That is the reason people encourage you to eat back your calories. Your body needs fuel to exercise and grow muscle also! Oh, I never made it a point to eat ALL my calories back, but if I am hungry, then I eat GOOD healthy choices to fill the void. If I eat them back, oh well, if I don't, I do not sweat it. :)
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    For me if I eat my exercise cals I don't lose at all, often gain; if I don't eat them I lose a little; if I hammer the exercise and don't eat my exercise cals I lose more and if I do that and don't eat 200 cals under my limit I lose even more.

The science behind the calories intake set is fine but everyone has a different metabolism, amount of muscle and associated burn rate so my advice is to experiment and see what works best. Try eating your exercise cals for a few weeks and see what you lose (I would go under - in my experience the calculations are generous!) - if you don't then eat fewer of the exercise cals and so on ...

its also easy to over or under estimate what your eating if not measuring weighting everything. not saying that is an issue for you, but for some it could be.
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options

For anyone who can afford it/has health insurance, this is always a good idea.

Just make sure they are certified/licensed in some way (RD, CNS, ect.). Not all states require a license or certification for someone to call themselves a "nutritionist" which means anyone who feels they know enough on the subject can legally use that title without any formal training or education.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    JUST WONT TO SAY, I DONT EAT MINE BACK, IM HAPPY WITH MY WAY OF DOING THIS IT SUITS ME.
  • alanlmarshall
    Options
    If you include exercise calories in your TDEE instead of logging them, then you are eating back your exercise calories. It's the same thing.
  • rexy3033
    rexy3033 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I eat back my exercise calories. I work out about 6 days a week and am training for a half marathon. Some days I burn over 1200 calories and I need the extra energy from more food!! I started about 170 and now am at goal, about 137... and I have always ate back my calories:)

That said, I eat if I am hungry... if I am not hungry I am not going to make myself eat 3600 calories on the days I go for a 12 mile run. It is hard to eat that much in a healthy manner.

In regards to a previous post- I am a certified NP, however, I am speaking from experience. Listen to your body to know if you need those calories. If you set your goal calories at 1200 and you do a 600 calorie burning workout, you will likely feel the deficit and need to eat a little more!!
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter what advice people give you. You need to find what works best for your body. Try each way for a couple weeks and see which one gives you the best results. I have never eaten back my calories because I discovered that it did not work, not only did I not lose weight, but I gained it when I ate those extra calories. EVERYONE is different...there is no one sized fits all plan...only you know what works for you. The key is to find what works and be CONSISTENT, don't bounce back and forth cause then you'll just get frustrated. Good luck!