Embarassed myself at the gym today... but its OKAY

Options

Replies

• S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have social anxiety too. It is a very painful condition. I only developed it later in life But going to the gym or anywhere is terrifying to me. I couldn't even get married in a church, bc I didn't want people to look at me.

Anyway, I used to work at a gym and my job was to train people to use the equipment. You'd be surprised at how few people start out knowing how to use it. Probably NO ONE has ever walked in and immediately understood the machine at the first go, without studying it and trying it first. That is why they have trainers to help you. Second of all, most all gyms should show you how to use the equipment at the gym. Set up a training session. Most gyms will assign a trainer free of charge for three sessions. They will show you how to use the weight machines too. I mean if you can't use the equipment you will get frustrated and quit going. They know that. It is to their advantage to show you how to use it. I have asked many times for help. Trust me, they think nothing of it. I would bet it is flattering to them to help you and teach you. Don't we all love helping and teaching someone? When someone couldn't do something and they asked you for help, didn't it feel good to help them by showing them?

Also, the elliptical CAN and IS used backwards too, it depends on what you want to work. When you push to make it move forward, you are working mostly your backside. If you want to work the front of your legs then you peddle backwards.

The more you go to the gym, the more comfortable you'll fee. Great job at starting the process.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Go find the "embarrassing moments at the gym" thread. This doesn't even register compared to what some of us have posted over there.

Good on you for getting starte!!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! And I'm sure the employee didn't think anything of it... I doubt you're the first person to need a little help getting the machine going. Part of the reason I avoid the gym is that I'm scared to look like a dweeb on the machines, lol.

That's awesome for you. You got the first step out of the way and that's usually the hardest part. Good luck on the rest of your work! :flowerforyou:
  • marcia724
    marcia724 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I go backwards all the time!!! it works different muscles!
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    You haven't embarrassed yourself until you had a highly audible involuntary bodily gas movement while doing squats. There is just no possible recovery from that :) Hope you think of that whenever you feel embarrassed in the gym.

Edit:
    PS. I actually do a sort of interval training on the elliptical, two min forward, one minute back, to get a much better workout bang for the minute buck.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I have SA too so I know what a challenge it is facing any social situation, much less one where you're in a new environment.
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I completely understand the SA and applaud you for taking the step. Huge NSV.

Well done you!!!!:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • ghdsmais
    ghdsmais Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The first time I went to the gym, I just sat in my car thinking it was a start. HAHA!!! I now go to the gym everyday and I am training for a Half Marathon and Marathon in October. Keep up the great work!!!
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    It's actually a good thing to go backwards occasionally! The workout intensity is the same, the machine does not care and will not break - but you will exercise slightly different leg muscles, which is a good thing!

Agreed. I do it as part of my elliptical routine.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Tip: Don't do a hardcore ab workout and then go to lay on a bench the NEXT day. I had to roll off the bench in the freeweight area in front of a bunch of bros because my abs were so sore I couldn't SIT up.
    [/quote

I'm sorry but this is hilarious!!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Bravo!!!!
  • mamabisme
    mamabisme Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! I HATED the eliptical the first time I did it and only managed 6 minutes. I saw how many calories I burned in those 6 minutes so I decided to give it another go the next time. Now, after a week and a half, I am doing 35 minutes there before I even start my workout. Stick with itand soon it will be easy!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Tip: Don't do a hardcore ab workout and then go to lay on a bench the NEXT day. I had to roll off the bench in the freeweight area in front of a bunch of bros because my abs were so sore I couldn't SIT up.
    [/quote

I'm sorry but this is hilarious!!

Yeah. i called my best friend to tell her (she did the ab workout with me) and she said "well I just sneezed myself into the fetal position.." She was hurting too.
  • Texasmomto4
    Options
    that's great and now it wont be as bad the next time you go.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I am very proud of you for taking that first and big step. KUDOS!!

Also I totally agree with this guy (below)
    Nice work!

Ask your gym if they do new member sessions. The one I used to go to did. Their new member session was a tour around the gym, explained each area, classes they offer, services they offer as well as how to properly use each of the machines. A lot of the machines have different settings, resistance levels, preset programs, etc. For someone like you who may not know much about the machines and is shy going to one of those may be best and very helpful.

Ask if they have that... if they don't just ask if someone is available to show you how to work the machines. Most gyms are great with helping out.
  • samanthawarren
    Options
    Good for you that you went to the gym. I probably would have done the same thing years ago when I first used the machine, but I got a tour of the gym and they explained everything.
    Also great that you are not going to let it discourage you. You have to be able to smile at the little things and keep going.:bigsmile:

Also, as others have mentioned, it is good to use the machine both ways, backwards and forwards. You work your muscles differently and it creates a balance.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options

Yeah. i called my best friend to tell her (she did the ab workout with me) and she said "well I just sneezed myself into the fetal position.." She was hurting too.

:laugh: Been there, done that!
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    5 minutes on the eliptical your first time is freaking amazing!! Keep at it. Soon it will be a normal thing for you and then when you don't go you will miss it.
  • alisonsurf
    alisonsurf Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have found that adopting a scale of relative humiliation is important to keeping your perspective in the gym. We all were new, we all have moments. On a scale of 1 to 10 some of my 9-10s include:

* Tripping over my own feet in warmup of my first Boot Camp class, falling into a brick wall and breaking my wrist. I then had to call my husband to come get me because I drive stick shift. But wait, that was the second time I had to call him to do that because I ....

* Fell on the ice during my first private coached session in front of Carol Heiss Jenkins(Olympic athlete and coach!) and broke my wrist. The worst part is I was standing still practicing my posture. I finished the session holding the broken wrist with my other hand and working on spirals. Then called husband for ride to ER.

* Splitting pants down seam during spinning class and not realizing til afterwards and, yes, I was in the front row with visible crack.

More like 5 or 6 would be the broken bra strap (DD cup) running, falling off treadmill while talking to trainer, having to tell trainer you cannot jumprope in public due to possibility of urine leakage, same for his second suggestion of jumping jacks

3-4 involves usually involves see through bathing suits, falling off bicycle while clipped in, tripping over the step in aerobics, farting at yoga

Not knowing how to use the equipment - maybe a 1 or 2. Not knowing the first time out - totally normal.
  • wannatangle
    wannatangle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I seriously love to go backwards on the elliptical. It is all bouncy and stuff. I'm sure no one thought a thing of it!! Great job getting out and going!