How to Calculate Calories in a Marinade...FINALLY!!!

Options

Replies

• sheyennelilly
    sheyennelilly Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    HMMM IDK I just add it all in always better to be over than under
  • Redheadthyca
    Redheadthyca Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bump.

This is awesome info! Thanks!
  • rel12345
    rel12345 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rodow
    rodow Posts: 26
    Options
    bump
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Idle curiousity here, but couldn't you figure out the total number of calories in the marinade and then weigh it? Then when you're done, weigh whats left?

same
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about asking this. Would the length of time affect this at all?

I would assume Yes. Becuase something that marinades over night will absorb a lot more than something mainading for a few hours...however I would assume it is negligble and not enough to be detrimental to weight loss.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I always wondered this and found this quote on another sites message boards. Thought I would pass it along =)

"A nutritionist friend of mine advised me years ago that for a paste type marinade (eg pesto) assume 1 tbsp of the marinade sticks to each 85 grams (3 oz) meat.

For a oil based liquid marinade, assume 0.5 tbsp of the marinade sticks to each 85 grams (3 oz) meat.

For a non-oil liquid based marinade (eg juices or wine etc) assume 1/3 tbsp sticks to each 85 grams (3 oz) of meat.

I hope this helps."

From: http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/calorie-count/calorie-counting-marinades

BUMP! Thanks for the info!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I'll just stick to measuring my marinade before and after and recording exact amounts. If I leave something overnight I always have less left then when it's just a super short marinating time. And if I use my instant marinator, (a vacuum chamber device) it's in between the two amounts.

Plus, I don't know if I trust someone that says 1/3 of a tablespoon instead of just saying 1 teaspoon. ;)
  • limesublime
    limesublime Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    This is a question that has driven me nuts! Thanks for the great info. I'm also curious about how much oil to account for when eating fried food. For instance, if I pan-fry breaded eggplant in 1/4 cup of oil, how much of the oil "sticks" after I've removed the eggplant from the oil and blotted any excess?
  • Change_is_Good_
    Change_is_Good_ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Aha! Just questioned this. Oops.

Ta though, very helpful
  • dnico33
    dnico33 Posts: 1
    Options
    I hate to burst the bubble here, but the total surface area has a lot more to do with amount of marinade you actually eat than the weight of what you're marinating. But to calculate half of what you pour out of the bottle divided by the % of the entire amount that you eat would have to be close and probably over a bit so it's on the safe side.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DAMETRE
    DAMETRE Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bump.. thanks
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Saving this. I love to marinate things, but I always get so confused on how to log it.
  • Brilynn492
    Brilynn492 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bump :heart:
  • mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Really helpful!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I just divide the marinade calories by the serving, then you at least know you aren't underestimating.
    I don't weigh the leftovers because of a little thing called osmosis. It's almost impossible to calculate what has been absorbed. so just bite the bullet and over book the calories/sodium/sugar.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't see this method being terribly accurate. I prefer to weigh the marinade before and then after, and log the difference. Same for frying, btw, for the person who asked.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I don't see this method being terribly accurate. I prefer to weigh the marinade before and then after, and log the difference. Same for frying, btw, for the person who asked.

^^this^^