Low carb

Options
Has anybody had as much success doing a low carb diet as they advertise?? Thinking about trying it. Any input??

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight going low carb in the past. The problem for me personally is that I can't stick to it, and I've always gained the weight back. Moderation and calorie counting is what's really worked for me this time. I've never lost this much weight or stuck to something this long.
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    carbs are part of your diet. cut them out and lose, then introduce them and gain. I know no one who has kept it off :S
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Has anybody had as much success doing a low carb diet as they advertise?? Thinking about trying it. Any input??

The best diet is the one that is easiest for you to adhere to, barring any medical issues that require special diet practices. Low carbers as with other "special" diets like to make all sorts of fantastic claims about their diet that are more fantasy then reality
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

The best diet is the one that is easiest for you to adhere to, barring any medical issues that require special diet practices. Low carbers as with other "special" diets like to make all sorts of fantastic claims about their diet that are more fantasy then reality

+1

You don't need to be so restrictive. People seem to think that losing weight must be as challenging as possible. It doesn't have to be like that at all. Just hit your calorie goal and exercise and the weight will come off. If you're in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.
  • kway610
    kway610 Posts: 162
    Options
    Yes, I had some pretty good success with low carb diets. I was never hungry, I felt great and ate good food. Not bricks of cheese and mounds of bacon like some people envision. I didn’t follow Atkins, just my own common sense LC version. I did gain the weight back but not because I ate a carb but because I ate ALL the carbs! I went back to eating all the stuff that made me fat in the first place. I am very carb sensitive so bread, pasta, rice, etc trigger horrible cravings. So, I am not currently on a “low carb” regimen but I have cut out those items.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Sorry to pile it on, but I also tried low-carbing and the results are great, but short-lived. I was doing pretty good for a while, but if you ever want to eat pizza or birthday cake again, it's really a bad diet, because the weight comes back as quickly as it went away. Plus, I plateaued after only six pounds lost. Additionally, I felt completely lethargic -- which should really be no surprise, since we get our energy from carbs, and I was limiting mine.

Bottom line, it's a great diet if you just want to lose a few pounds in time for your high school reunion or something. It's not a good diet in the long-run because it's hard to stick to and the weight only stays off as long as you're strict about it. Sorry... :-/
  • cmeyers54
    Options

You don't need to be so restrictive. People seem to think that losing weight must be as challenging as possible. It doesn't have to be like that at all. Just hit your calorie goal and exercise and the weight will come off. If you're in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.

I feel like I have done well. I started 1/7/13 and stayed within my calorie goal suggested by MFP and I have lost 12 pounds. But, I have over 100 pounds to lose and I feel like this week I am still within my calories but I'm just not eating very heatlthy. I have walked or done Zumba everyday and there are no results. It's just really frustrating since I have so much to lose. I try to tell myself it's not a race or a diet, this is my new life. I'm just not a very patient person.
  • JKS76
    JKS76 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am definitely not on a low carb diet by the standards of Atkins etc, ( I am aiming for 30 percent protein, 30 percent fat , 40 percent carb which actually means quite a lot of carbs for my quite high calorie limit) However by focusing on INCREASING protein I have found I don't want as many carbs, I am fuller for longer (most of the time!) and so my diet is healthier overall and my energy is better. Next I aim to improve the quality of the carbs I eat so they they are less processed/ refined.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add that I was not trying to go super-low-carb. I was doing about 30 grams per meal, mostly from fruit and veggies as opposed to processed carbs (pastas/breads/etc.). I read somewhere that 40-60 grams of carbs per meal is considered average, so I wasn't that far off; I was just eating less of the "bad" stuff (like cake). Even that didn't last, although your willpower is undoubtedly better than mine; it certainly couldn't be worse!

You may also want to check out "eating clean" and the paleo diet. I don't know that much about them, but if you're willing to give up carbs or just generally make better choices, you might prefer these.
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options

Exactly. I am one of those people who HAVE to eat low carbs because my blood glucose is too high and if I continue down that path I will most likely get diabetes. I noticed when I eat low carb, my sugar stays normal and doesn't spike unhealthily. If you are just someone who wants to lose weight by watching carb its very possible, but its also a lot harder to keep for a long period of time. I think the best diet is moderation and trying to incoroporate things that you know are good for you. I wish I could just do that but every time I have anything over 30g of carb per meal, my sugar goes up. Best of luck to you!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Too restrictive and in the end, when you reintroduce some, the weight comes back. Better to adjust your carbs to the healthier ones and just cut back a bit. I get huge cravings if I try to cut back too much. Balanced is better.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I went on the Dukan Diet, all 4 stages. it reintroduces carbs and eventually you eat what you want in moderation. However, I felt so much better without rice, potatoes, bread and pasta I only eat them when I visit my mom and she cooks and puts them in front of me. (in small amounts, I am might add)...

I counted calories and still log like crazy. I added back an apple or banana or avocado daily and I am on month 15. I think the combination of Dukan and Logging my calories and exercise AND weighing daily will all play into a successful healthy lifestyle.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Low carb works for me. But then again I'm pretty sure I can happily eat steak every day for the rest of my life.
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    THExNEKOxCHAN Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that people don't truly understand what low carb means. It's not all carbs, it's the type of carbs that are often the issue. I choose to be low carb, and the carbs I cut out are the ones found in wheat products and other grains, i.e. bread, pasta, cereals, corn, etc. I throw soy in there as well, because like wheat and corn, it's starting to crop up in all kinds of things, and unfermented soy is really bad for you. Other legumes, such as peas and beans, are carby as well, but I like them, so I eat them in moderation. Same with rice and potatoes. Fruit is carby, and so is raw milk, but since they are natural whole foods, and untampered with (usually; I buy organic when I can, or grow my own, or buy from a local supplier), I don't feel bad having a piece of fruit or a glass of milk during the day. I also try to avoid sugars (heavily refined with morally poor growing practices) and artificial sweeteners (hello cancer!) and anything that might contain these.

Anything that says it's "enriched", "fortified", "refined", has had anything added to it to make it "better for you", or, generally, anything that says "healthy", "low fat", "no fat", or "low carb friendly" even is generally extremely bad for you. Read the ingredients lists of the things you buy. If you can't pronounce the ingredients, don't eat it. If you still insist on buying it, research the ingredients. I do this with everything I put in, on, or near my body, and you'll be surprised what it turns up.

Know your food. Know what you eat. Eat low carb if you think it's what will be good for you. Try eating less bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and sugar, cut out processed foods, and eat your fruits, vegetables, free range eggs, pastured meat and chicken, fresh wild caught fish, quality dairy products and milk, and grass-fed butter. Shop only in the fresh food sections of the store (usually around the perimeter) and stay away from the aisles unless you need foil, paper towels, or other non-consumables.

If there's one thing I can say about the traditional food pyramid, it is what has destroyed my health.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I do lowER carb - 15%, but I also stay within my calorie goal - it's not a protein buffett all day! LOL

It's working well for me.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    im a low carb nut

i have great sites for yu...and some real good tricks
    i am doing it because im a type 2 diabetic

would love to talk
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    There is no magical advantage. It still comes down to calories in vs calories out.
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    THExNEKOxCHAN Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    As far as calories in vs calories out go, I advise you read the book Why We get Fat and What To Do About It, by Gary Taubes.
  • VLisa
    VLisa Posts: 1
    Options
    I've mostly elimated simple carbs (processed food) and eat complex carbs- fruits, vegetables, lean protien, eggs, skim milk, a little cheese and have lost 64 lbs in a year. I have no problem eating this way and plan to the rest of my life. It is calories in and calories out, the difference is that eliminating all the simple carbs have taken my cravings away and allowed me to be in control. I eat because I need to to live, not because an insulin spike is compelling me to. I can (and do) pass up sweets, junk, all of it. If I choose to indulge once in awhile, I know how to quickly gain control again. I feel better than I've ever felt.
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be honest - I did extremely low carb (20 net carbs/day), combined with exercise, and lost 90lbs in about six months. Now I was also only eating around 1200-1500 calories per day, I was also 320lbs and I was only 22 years old when I started. When you first start it is REALLY hard but after about two weeks you start to feel better and actually I gained more energy.

The object is to do really low carb until you get down to your goal weight and then slowly start to add back whole grains. You can expect to gain a little weight back but you have to find the right amount of carbs so that you may maintain.

I didn't make it to my goal weight (because I got pregnant) and now that I'm eating normal I do find it hard to lose weight as fast. The problem for me is mental because I was so used to dropping 6-8lbs per week that only seeing 2lbs today kinda sucks.

BEFORE you try anything please consult with your physician. Also, the key to a healthy lifestyle is to find something that works for you. You will always have people that disagree but in the end you are the only one that matters.