If you only had 15 minutes...

Options
13»

Replies

• haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I would spend the first 5 minutes calling the company I brought the elliptical trainer from and ask for instructions of getting a refund.

I'd then spend the next 10 minutes doing push ups, pull ups, wall squats and some ab work.

You really thinkk someone with 60lbs to lose is doing pullups? Pullups are for fit people, not for people just starting.

The title of the thread asked what would you do? That's referring to ME.

At any rate, the OP can do assisted pull ups with a chair or desk or any sturdy object. Just like you can do push ups with your knees on the ground. No need to make excuses about "I can't do this or do that" until you actually try - that's a loser's attitude.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I would spend the first 5 minutes calling the company I brought the elliptical trainer from and ask for instructions of getting a refund.

I'd then spend the next 10 minutes doing push ups, pull ups, wall squats and some ab work.

You really thinkk someone with 60lbs to lose is doing pullups? Pullups are for fit people, not for people just starting.

The title of the thread asked what would you do? That's referring to ME.

At any rate, the OP can do assisted pull ups with a chair or desk or any sturdy object. Just like you can do push ups with your knees on the ground. No need to make excuses about "I can't do this or do that" until you actually try - that's a loser's attitude.

Well, his post title said YOU, but his post was more asking about what HE should do with his equipment and limited time. My thinking was, if I were 60lbs overweight, had no workout history and wanted to start somewhere, and I had 15 minutes to do it, what would be the most productive way of getting there.

I don't think its a "loser's attitude". Heavier people who are not in shape are not good at pullups. Why waste time trying them with a chair or whatever. Do something more productive- like get his cardio fitness going. That will be a better long term health benefit than being able to stand on a chair and do a halfassed pullup.
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    When all else fails, SQUAT AND PUSH A PROWLER!
  • Wakeupwaisted
    Wakeupwaisted Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Go to youtube and find some exercise video that a) fit into your time restraints and b) fit your fitness level.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PWEdJRRndkQ&feature=plpp
  • crops2dawn
    crops2dawn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am a lot like you...I havent exercised in eons and have about 50lbs to lose...I started with this one and honestly, I couldnt finish it the first few times...but after a week I finally did the whole thing...after about 3 more weeks, I did it twice....and maybe soon I will look for something more intense...but I like to take baby steps in this...and its worked for me.....check it out.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYtcl2PbMyI

Good luck with whatever you choose!
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Alternate days on the elliptical and then this:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

That is exactly the body weight training I started with. I couldn't even do the full three sets. Now I am up to 100 girl push ups and I am adding in things like hip hinges and shoulders elevated glute bridges.
  • BennyLT
    Options
    I second anyone that mentioned to stay in your fitness level!!!

You have all the time in the world to become the next crossfit games champion. but for now forget about burpees and pullups. teach your body movements first, add weight and intensity later. Your joints will thank you.

Elliptical is fine to start with. but i say just go outside. walk around the block every day for a week. then walk faster and faster. then carry your hand weights. move your arms when you walk fast. stand up at work every 20 minutes (if you sit at a desk). focus on a healthy diet. and in 3 weeks you will see very noticable gains and feel good enough to add more intensity to your routine. you will just keep adding and you will find what works for your body.

Eventually, you will be able to shred yourself in 15 minutes. recover stronger then do it again.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, burpees, pushups, and some dips.
  • jrompola
    jrompola Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know there are ways to make more time for working out, but let's leave that aside for a minute... if you could only find 15 minutes per day to workout, and you haven't worked out in years (decades even), and have at least 60 lbs to lose. The only machine you have access to is an elliptical trainer, you have a mat, some 3 lbs hand weights. How would you work it out so you got the most out of those 7 days x15 minutes?

Thanks for you feedback!

I'd get 10 minute trainer as that would show you how to do the moves. I take it you most likely would need some sort of instruction and the video is step by step so its like having a trainer with you and it comes with a nutrition guide and everything
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hands down ,,,,eliptical.
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies, but if you can stretch it to 22 minutes, I would go buy the 30 Day Shred and do it every day. It is amazing! It has cardio, abs and strength.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I'd wake up five minutes earlier (or finagle five extra minutes somehow) and do Jillian Michaels' 30-Day-Shred.
  • 2fat2fail
    Options
    Thanks again, everyone for your responses. I really do appreciate the time you took to answer my questions and I can tell that many of you are very passionate about working out.

I have a good idea of how I can maximize my workout time and get the most out of it!

L
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Skip the elliptical and handweights. Do push-ups, squats, planks and jumping jacks.

this.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    calisthenics!!
  • jsbieniek
    jsbieniek Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You've already got a ton of replies and there is little real advice I can give you. But I can relate. My husband always used to tell me that if I didn't do 30 minutes I wasn't going to get any benefit. However, I couldn't jump on my exercise bike and go straight to 30 minutes. So I started at 10 minutes a day. After a week I went to 15 minutes. Then I added Zumba. Now I'm up to 25 minutes on the exercise bike every day and 1 hour of Zumba 3 to 4 days a week. You have to start somewhere. The important thing is that you start, do it on your own terms and you will get there! Now I think I'm ready to start mixing it up a little. Doing some research to see which way I should go. Thinking about Tabata. Looks like it can be done in a relatively short time. Sorry it's so long :)
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    When I can't get to the gym I use my elliptical trainer, squats with 50lb dumbells, bridges, planks, modified pushups because i have dodgy knees and crunches. What little you can do at home works better than a gym. I also have started the 30 day shred as well