Gadgets -- BodyMedia?

Options
Hi all!

I'm really having a difficult time deciding on the right gadget for me. At first I thought that I wanted the Nike Fuel Band, but now I'm looking at the BodyMedia devices. What have you tried or recommend?

Currently I have a garmin (w/GPS and HRM strap), but it doesn't track my movement inside and it doesn't really track calisthenics or cycles of workouts like crossfit or insanity type workouts. Oh - I HATE the chest strap and do not want to wear one .... it really annoys me and distracts me from my workout!

I loved the idea of the Fuel band, but it doesn't really track the different between running up a flight of stairs and walking down a flight of stairs (much like the UP and Fitbit). Before I commit to bodymedia -- I just want to see what you all think of the gismo.

Thanks so much,
Katie

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I would avoid spending time and money on unneeded gadgets and just workout.
  • Anafviertons
    Options
    I've been doing a lot of research on them as well...body media and fit bit are very similar. Body,edis you have o wear the armband all day as the fitbit you can attach the small device to your bra it's the size of a Bluetooth device...bodymedia has a monthly subscription and is a bit more expensive as for fitbit it's around $100 with no subscription as you can tell I'm leaning more towards the fitbit :P but I'm still reasearching
  • SugarFemme24
    SugarFemme24 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've had a bodymedia for about 2 weeks now and I LOVE it! Once it finds a good place in your arm you rarely notice it and its awesome to see exactly what is going on with your body.

I figured if I was gonna spend a lot on a gadget I wanted it to be the best and to be the most accurate, which is why u picked the bodymedia.
  • Katie_Norton
    Katie_Norton Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm still leaning towards the bodymedia. I know I do not need a gadget, but I really want to know how much I burn during my working hours. I am often running around and I didn't like how the fitbit, fuel band, UP all track going up the stairs the same ... it doesn't know the difference between running up the stairs or walking down.

Sugar - thank you -- you just confirmed my purchase later this week.

Have a great day, and keep charging :)
  • bmag1969
    bmag1969 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Dont forget that the body media gadget will give you a better idea of what your resting metabolic rate is well. I love my bodymdia
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    I had a bodymedia armband a few years ago and liked it. But, it was pretty bulky and always showed under my clothes. I also didn't like that I had to pay for a subscription to the website. I stopped using it after about six months. I have a fitbit now and it suits my purposes for my non-workout time. I still rely on my Polar HRM for workouts.
  • mrskperry
    mrskperry Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I can't say just yet, but I asked my husband for one as an anniversary present. I should be getting it today or this weekend. I am VERY excited to see how it works, and I'll be sure to let everyone know if I think it's amazing! :)
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a lot of research on them as well...body media and fit bit are very similar. Body,edis you have o wear the armband all day as the fitbit you can attach the small device to your bra it's the size of a Bluetooth device...bodymedia has a monthly subscription and is a bit more expensive as for fitbit it's around $100 with no subscription as you can tell I'm leaning more towards the fitbit :P but I'm still reasearching

Bodymedia is much more accurate than Futbit
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I had a bodymedia armband a few years ago and liked it. But, it was pretty bulky and always showed under my clothes. I also didn't like that I had to pay for a subscription to the website. I stopped using it after about six months. I have a fitbit now and it suits my purposes for my non-workout time. I still rely on my Polar HRM for workouts.
    The new core is smaller and the subscription really isn't that expensive.

I ruffle up my sleeves and no one has moment end on it.
  • jtannehill75
    Options
    I wear both the bodymedia and the fitbit. I have had my bodymedia since jan 2012. I have lost 85 pounds total. I started wearing the fitbit this summer.. but noticed there is a DEFINITE difference between the two. The bodymedia has skin sensors.. so I feel like it's much more accurate!!

When comparing the two at the end of the day.. the bodymedia generally says I burn between 400 and 500 cals more than the fitbit.. I would go for the bodymedia!! :)
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've got the Link. It's invisible under my clothes.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I love my Body Media Link. It's easy. It hides under my clothes. It links well with MFP. The phone app is cool. If you are a technophile you will love it. People who know I have it think it is pretty cool. It does require a subscription, but mine came with a six month subscription, so I don't have to think about it for another four months. I had plateaued when I started it. With it I've gotten back to a pound a week loss.
  • freespirit420
    freespirit420 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Do we need to change the settings on my fitness pal for the calorie burn and food goal?
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I have the bodymedia link and love it.

Freespirit420, they link up to each other, and will change your food goals for you.
  • PhotogirlTX
    PhotogirlTX Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have had my BodyMedia since December 5th.. worn it every single day. LOVE IT. I have a Garmin 405CX and I use it as a heart rate monitor. I use it on the treadmill, on the elliptical, when I am doing a tape like Charlean Extreme. While it doesn't calculate the distance, it does a great job of tracking my heart rate. I can then upload it to Garmin Connect and see my burn and edit my entry to put in distance.

I think the tool has been really motivating to me to show me how much I burn, and on the days that I am being a bit lazy, I can sync it to see what I have done and what I still need to do.

I have averaged 2 pounds a week since December 3rd... for a total loss to date of 21 pounds. I think this gadget has really kept me focused on moving more!
  • chadgard
    chadgard Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Do we need to change the settings on my fitness pal for the calorie burn and food goal?

You don't need to adjust setting on mfp, provided you enable the option for negative exercise adjustment. Whatever you happen to have mfp set at for your activity level, if you're actually below that according to the BodyMedia, it will enter a negative calorie adjustment as exercise (ie, you burned -500 calories). If you're over it, it will enter a positive calorie adjustment as exercise (ie, you burned 500 calories). If you don't enable the negative adjustment, though, it will only enter adjustments if you burn more than mfp expects, so if you sit like a lump all day while mfp thinks you're active, and you eat all those calories you aren't burning, you'll gain weight...

I've had the BodyMedia Link for 4ish weeks now, and really like it. I work exceptionally long hours (7 days a week, 16+ hour days commonplace), and my activity levels at work vary wildly. For example, yesterday I didn't go for a run, but I walked over 18,000 steps just working, and had over 2 hours of moderate activity, and over 40 minutes of Vigorous activity. When I got home at 11:20, with a horribly sinus cold, and knowing I had to get up at 4:00 am, I could just go to bed and not feel guilty that I hadn't worked out. Meanwhile, today, even through I ran for 30 minutes, I only have 10046 steps so far, with 2:14 of moderate activity and 14 minutes of vigorous, so I'll need to watch what I eat for dinner here in a little bit. But I FEEL like I've been more active today (because of the run), so I would have misjudged without it. It would be very difficult for me to track my activity without a device, since it is so spread out over the day and is an organic part of what I'm doing.

I teach at a private school, so coat and tie is the dress code. But even if I take the coat off, you can't tell I'm wearing it. Actually, even just wearing a T shirt, unless is sticks out under the sleeve, it's pretty much unnoticeable. some of the other models are bigger and may be more noticeable... I haven't tried it, but have read that some users wear the BM on their calf, rather than arm, and get results fairly consistent with wearing it on the left arm like you're supposed to. Every question on their FAQ about wearing it elsewhere has the same quote from the owners manual about wearing it on your left tricep.

I had considered a FitBit, which the nurse practitioner at our on site clinic uses for herself. The cost is about the same, but after the first 6 months, there's a small monthly fee for the BodyMedia that the FitBit doesn't have. However, the BodyMedia is reportedly (allegedly?) more accurate - I tend to believe that, since it has the temperature and galvanic skin response sensors that the FitBit does not. The other consideration for me was that the BodyMedia has an arm band that holds it to your body, and makes it hard to loose when it's off of your body. The FitBit has a clip to attach to an article of clothing, from which it could fall off. Knowing myself, I'd probably put it in my pocket instead, or clip it to my belt. Either way, I'd eventually drop it, and replacing it all the time would be more expensive than the BM subscriptions.

The first couple of days with the BM I had a couple of issues. First, I kept syncing it all the time to see what was up, and ran the battery down rather low on my iPhone. Now that it has become a normal part of my life, I tend to sync at meal times and before bed and that's not an issue. I did have a little discomfort the first couple days wearing it as well, but that was probably due to "picking at it" and moving it around a lot due to the novelty of it. I mostly don't notice it at all anymore.
  • Katie_Norton
    Options
    yes, that is what I saw as well. The subscription isn't that bad and comes with 6mts right off the bat. Still cheaper than Jillian Micheals!
  • Katie_Norton
    Options
    I wear both the bodymedia and the fitbit. I have had my bodymedia since jan 2012. I have lost 85 pounds total. I started wearing the fitbit this summer.. but noticed there is a DEFINITE difference between the two. The bodymedia has skin sensors.. so I feel like it's much more accurate!!

When comparing the two at the end of the day.. the bodymedia generally says I burn between 400 and 500 cals more than the fitbit.. I would go for the bodymedia!! :)

Wow, thanks so much! I think I am defiantly going with the BodyMedia
  • Katie_Norton
    Options
    I have the bodymedia link and love it.

Freespirit420, they link up to each other, and will change your food goals for you.

Awe, really. Thats pretty sweet.
  • Katie_Norton
    Options

You don't need to adjust setting on mfp, provided you enable the option for negative exercise adjustment. Whatever you happen to have mfp set at for your activity level, if you're actually below that according to the BodyMedia, it will enter a negative calorie adjustment as exercise (ie, you burned -500 calories). If you're over it, it will enter a positive calorie adjustment as exercise (ie, you burned 500 calories). If you don't enable the negative adjustment, though, it will only enter adjustments if you burn more than mfp expects, so if you sit like a lump all day while mfp thinks you're active, and you eat all those calories you aren't burning, you'll gain weight...

I've had the BodyMedia Link for 4ish weeks now, and really like it. I work exceptionally long hours (7 days a week, 16+ hour days commonplace), and my activity levels at work vary wildly. For example, yesterday I didn't go for a run, but I walked over 18,000 steps just working, and had over 2 hours of moderate activity, and over 40 minutes of Vigorous activity. When I got home at 11:20, with a horribly sinus cold, and knowing I had to get up at 4:00 am, I could just go to bed and not feel guilty that I hadn't worked out. Meanwhile, today, even through I ran for 30 minutes, I only have 10046 steps so far, with 2:14 of moderate activity and 14 minutes of vigorous, so I'll need to watch what I eat for dinner here in a little bit. But I FEEL like I've been more active today (because of the run), so I would have misjudged without it. It would be very difficult for me to track my activity without a device, since it is so spread out over the day and is an organic part of what I'm doing.

I teach at a private school, so coat and tie is the dress code. But even if I take the coat off, you can't tell I'm wearing it. Actually, even just wearing a T shirt, unless is sticks out under the sleeve, it's pretty much unnoticeable. some of the other models are bigger and may be more noticeable... I haven't tried it, but have read that some users wear the BM on their calf, rather than arm, and get results fairly consistent with wearing it on the left arm like you're supposed to. Every question on their FAQ about wearing it elsewhere has the same quote from the owners manual about wearing it on your left tricep.

I had considered a FitBit, which the nurse practitioner at our on site clinic uses for herself. The cost is about the same, but after the first 6 months, there's a small monthly fee for the BodyMedia that the FitBit doesn't have. However, the BodyMedia is reportedly (allegedly?) more accurate - I tend to believe that, since it has the temperature and galvanic skin response sensors that the FitBit does not. The other consideration for me was that the BodyMedia has an arm band that holds it to your body, and makes it hard to loose when it's off of your body. The FitBit has a clip to attach to an article of clothing, from which it could fall off. Knowing myself, I'd probably put it in my pocket instead, or clip it to my belt. Either way, I'd eventually drop it, and replacing it all the time would be more expensive than the BM subscriptions.

The first couple of days with the BM I had a couple of issues. First, I kept syncing it all the time to see what was up, and ran the battery down rather low on my iPhone. Now that it has become a normal part of my life, I tend to sync at meal times and before bed and that's not an issue. I did have a little discomfort the first couple days wearing it as well, but that was probably due to "picking at it" and moving it around a lot due to the novelty of it. I mostly don't notice it at all anymore.

Thank you! So informative and helpful with your real life experience with it. My daily routine also varies and I think I am much like you and will run around like a crazy lady at work some days and others I find myself barely moving around my desk.