Not Losing - Advice Appreciated

Options
13»

Replies

• serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I have times where I don't lose for a couple of weeks and then all of a sudden I'm four pounds lighter. I agree with making sure you are counting everything accurately, but I would also say you should measure yourself to see if you've had body composition change. My body changes shape at different times than it loses weight.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't do the TDEE method so this could be a silly question, but doesn't TDEE include exercise. So by actually eating 'back' exercise calories, wouldn't that more likely be getting close to maintenance.

If your TDEE is based on BMR and exercise, doesn't that mean that on average, your body burns a total of (let's say) 2100 calories including BMR and exercise. So you wouldn't eat any calories burned by exercise?

That was my understanding...

[Also, my opinion is that because BMR can vary so wildly from person to person, if you are set where you think you should be losing but don't lose, cut calories by a bit, wait and see what happens. If your calories are too low, you will lose weight and will have to adjust them up but if you aren't losing weight, it is because your calories are too high.]
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary, and it also seems like your eating isn't consistent. A lot of days show you way under, so you're either not logging consistently, or you're not hitting your target.

You probably went back far enough to see the days where I had my target set at 1,500. Now that it's 1,950, those days look low.

I looked at the last 2 weeks. When did you change it?

About two weeks ago. Maybe you're referring to the days I earned exercise calories? Like I said, I don't usually eat many of them.

If you use MFP's recommendation and earn exercise calories, you should eat them back.

If you do TDEE -20%, then you do not eat back exercise calories. I've been more consistently successful with this method than with the MFP method.

*ETA: 2 weeks may not be enough time for your body to get used to increased calories either. When I started TDEE -20%, I actually gained 2 pounds (probably water weight, not fat) but after the first week or so, I started losing about a pound a week.
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lisa483
    lisa483 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you have calculated your BMR and TDEE, unless you have set your TDEE to sedentary you should not be eating your cals back.

Did u select sedentary?
  • lisa483
    lisa483 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you have calculated your BMR and TDEE, unless you have set your TDEE to sedentary you should not be eating your cals back.

Did u select sedentary?

Also I think you may have miscalculated your TDEE

BMR * 1.2 Sedentary = 2352 -20% =1882

BMR * 1.375 Lightly active = 2695 - 20% = 2156
  • Slimmd
    Slimmd Posts: 10
    Options
    1. Try a heart rate monitor. I find that the calories burned on MFP (and gym machines) are much higher than what my HRM reports.
    2. Eat a bigger breakfast with less added sugar. (Almost all of the calories from your yogurt are sugar-- can you eat plain Greek yogurt with real fruit instead?)
    3. Eat less processed food (and you'll find you can eat larger portions if you do). It's the difference between drinking a glass of orange juice and eating six oranges-- you need the fiber that comes with real food.
    4. Drink water. If you don't drink enough water, you'll find that your workouts are harder because you'll be dehydrated.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    The more complex a system the more likely it will fail.

I do completely agree with this, which is why I have chose a "simple" food plan of counting calories only.

I am a little flummoxed by the fact that, at this weight, I am (most certainly) eating a deficit, and yet I'm not losing.

I took a look at your food diary and if I am being honest, the reasons you aren't losing are most likely this;

Thurs 14th Feb -
    Homemade - Red Velvet Cake With Buttercream Frosting, 1 slice 324 cal
    Cookies - Sugar, refrigerated dough, baked, 2 oz 274 cal
    Hershey's - Nuggets - Milk Chocolate, 1 piece 50 cal

Weds 13th Feb -
    Subway - 6-Inch Turkey Breast on White with Pepperjack Cheese and Vinegar (no oil), 6 -Inch 310 cal
    Kirro - Croissant, 2 oz 180 cal
    Lay's - Baked! Original, 1 package 130 cal

Just because you are "allowed" 1800 calories a day does not mean you can eat crap all day as long as it stays within 1800 calories. You need to be making better food choices in order to see results.
    In all honesty, all 3 "snacks" you had today should be eliminated all together. If you must, go for the Hershey's but if you want to snack on chocolate/sweet foods I suggest you change to something healthier e.g. dark chocolate, nuts, fruit, etc. And smaller quantities.

As for Wednesday, I see you went over anyway so I am assuming you weren't following the plan as strictly. The croissant for breakfast along with other foods for breakfast too is a bad move... to be honest it's a bad move entirely. I live in France, I love croissants, but I walk past them every day and say no because they are not good for the waist line! For breakfast you should be eating something far more nutritious! I would go with fresh juice, cereal and fruit, maybe some eggs, etc.
    When it comes to crisps/chips (depending on what part of the word you live in), I would also cut this out entirely. They don't even full you up, hold no nutritional value and are generally just crap to put into your body.

To summarise, I think you are failing to lose weight because you are eating whatever you want as long as it's within 1800 calories and that isn't how it works.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Ok...not sure why you are replying to my post specifically?

I am saying it is calories in vs calories out. People who say i"it's not about calories in vs calories out" are the people who don't know their TDEE. keep in mind TDEE is just an estimate anyways. We are made up of energy, energy has mass. If we lose energy (burn more than we take in) we lose mass.

Has nothing to do with carbs, protein, fat or whatever, it's about calories(energy).

Ok, well thank you for the explanation. Agree to disagree. I don't think it is all about calories. Yes, I think they matter to a certain extent, but are not the be all end all. Macros count, types of food count. Even more so if you have a metabolic issue.
    If you spike your insulin, you will store fat. Eating twinkies will spike insulin in many people, especially those with metabolic syndrome, and although you might be eating your TDEE, you will store fat. Great that it worked for that one guy, but it surely would not work for me. I'm also interested in learning to eat healthfully for the rest of my life, not just for weight loss, so choosing a diet like that would not be furthering that goal.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Today is Valentine's Day. So, yes, today I have eaten far more sweets than on any "normal" day. But I stayed under my calorie goal nonetheless.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Today is Valentine's Day. So, yes, today I have eaten far more sweets than on any "normal" day. But I stayed under my calorie goal nonetheless.

Why have you asked for advice when every piece of advice you have been given you have gotten defensive about and shot down?
    I would also like to point out what works for one isn't always what works for another, so just because one person eats bad foods within their calories and still loses doesn't mean that you will. What you are doing is obviously not working so I suggest you start taking some advice from atleast one person on this thread.

Also, sleep and water intake are incredibly important and should not "complicate" a diet in any way, they are pretty standard needs for the body. Just get a large 1.5l bottle.of water and drink one of those every day. Plus a glass of water at each meal and you will have covered what you need daily.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Why have you asked for advice when every piece of advice you have been given you have gotten defensive about and shot down?
    I would also like to point out what works for one isn't always what works for another, so just because one person eats bad foods within their calories and still loses doesn't mean that you will. What you are doing is obviously not working so I suggest you start taking some advice from atleast one person on this thread.

Also, sleep and water intake are incredibly important and should not "complicate" a diet in any way, they are pretty standard needs for the body. Just get a large 1.5l bottle.of water and drink one of those every day. Plus a glass of water at each meal and you will have covered what you need daily.

Or get my Big Bertha as pictured in my profile she's available at any 7-11 and shes 100oz of watery love
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    I love the arguing, everyone has an opinion. Calorie deficit = weight loss. In this respect a calorie is a calorie. However, a higher protein diet can lead to higher muscle retension and increased FAT loss... and isn't that ultimately the goal? Also, eating clean and eating higher protein/ low carb may not change numbers on the scale specifically if you are counting calories, but I have found that eating this way does make it far easier to stick to my calories and not feel hungry or have cravings for junk food. As for sleep, I am sure it is great... but I have lost 38 pounds and have a 5 month old. Last night I got 4 hours of consecutive sleep and this was a good night. Therefore, although sleep is important and I am sure helpful, you can still lose weight without it:) Best of luck with your weight loss journey. If you keep eating at a calorie deficit and continue working out the weight loss, fat loss, and inches lost will come. Be patient:)

carbs are muscle sparing.

And they only thing your brain eats...pure glucose baby
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    don't eat anything that comes with a nutrition label.

LOL
  • ldrosophila
    Options

I do completely agree with this, which is why I have chose a "simple" food plan of counting calories only.

I am a little flummoxed by the fact that, at this weight, I am (most certainly) eating a deficit, and yet I'm not losing.
    have you answered my question, how long has it been since you lost weight?

I did answer that in my original post. It has been six weeks since I have lost any weight.

Maybe theres something else goin on I would get to the doctor have some blood work and if youve done that focus on improving your cardiopulmonary or muscular strength. Find new rewards
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options

I took a look at your food diary and if I am being honest, the reasons you aren't losing are most likely this;

Thurs 14th Feb -
    Homemade - Red Velvet Cake With Buttercream Frosting, 1 slice 324 cal
    Cookies - Sugar, refrigerated dough, baked, 2 oz 274 cal
    Hershey's - Nuggets - Milk Chocolate, 1 piece 50 cal

Weds 13th Feb -
    Subway - 6-Inch Turkey Breast on White with Pepperjack Cheese and Vinegar (no oil), 6 -Inch 310 cal
    Kirro - Croissant, 2 oz 180 cal
    Lay's - Baked! Original, 1 package 130 cal

Just because you are "allowed" 1800 calories a day does not mean you can eat crap all day as long as it stays within 1800 calories. You need to be making better food choices in order to see results.

I don't log much anymore, but i found a few enteries from september.

ScreenHunter_6-1.jpg
    ScreenHunter_9.jpg

and my weight loss

ScreenHunter_3-2.jpg

SO yes if you have the calories you can eat what you want as long as you stay under your calorie goal. (I know these numbers are kind of high, but i track calories on a weekly basis not daily)

Again, agree to disagree. I never said that *you* could not lose weight eating less calories. People do it everyday so no need to pull out food diaries. It is also easier to lose weight when you have more weight to lose. *I* am not you and I cannot lose weight by controlling calories alone. I suspect there are others like me since I see posts everyday on multiple weight loss boards. To say that calories in = calories out is the *only* thing that matters is ignorant, in my opinion.